Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 17:39   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

Having drowned once... I cant remember having any regrets at the time... after resuscitation I regretted kicking the Naval Policeman over the side when he climbed back on board and bounced my skull off the bulkhead..
Main regret at 64...?
So many women... so little time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 18:29   #77

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Top 5 Regrets of the Dying.

Ten or so years ago I was told I had lung cancer. At the time, it was the worst day of my life.

Looking back, it turned out to be the best day of my life and I learned "the lesson".

Today really is the first day of the rest of your life.

Compared to my life up to that point, I've lived a hundred lives since and am still enjoying every day, and can't wait to see what is over the next horizon.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 18:49   #78

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
...smooth yer passage accross the River Styx - I wonder what anchor the ferryman has onboard?!

Thanks David! Best laugh I've had all day!

I wonder if he's got a bucket too???

Old 05-12-2012, 19:18   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
After my divorce I fulfilled a lifelong dream to lean to fly.

I got my private pilot's licence, then started to learn on a Bell-47G.

My instructor told me I'd be better off spending my money in Bubbles bathhouse.

He was Right.
Reminds me of the three "F" theory. If it flies, floats, or fornicates, it's cheaper in the long run to hire it. You seem to have got the trifecta there good sir.

Coops.
Old 05-12-2012, 19:49   #80
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Top 5 regrets when dying? Unlike others here, I cannot possibly suggest that I have no regrets in life.
Same here! My list of regrets begins with having spent four years studying Latin instead of Spanish.

What foolishness!
Old 05-12-2012, 20:29   #81

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Same here! My list of regrets begins with having spent four years studying Latin instead of Spanish.

What foolishness!
Many many words in English, and other languages trace their roots back to Latin. Understanding Latin, gives you better root understanding into out language and culture, and has increased your ability to study and comprehend. Makes you smarter. Would you be smarter if you had studied Spanish? Only in that you could understand the folks around you in line at Wal-Mart, talking about stuff you do not need to know.
Old 05-12-2012, 20:34   #82

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

What foolishness!
Sic vivitur!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:25   #83

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailors View Post
My goal is to become a hazard to navigation.
I kinda like a Viking funeral in the middle of Biscayne Bay. Just me, my boat, 10 Gal. of gas, and a .45
Old 05-12-2012, 22:57   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Regrets are an absolute waste of time, they just eat away at the soul and make you bitter. We all make bad judgements occasionally. Rectify these mistakes or at least learn from them, and move on.

Deathbed regrets are just a case of wallowing in self pity.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 23:20   #85

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Many many words in English, and other languages trace their roots back to Latin. Understanding Latin, gives you better root understanding into out language and culture, and has increased your ability to study and comprehend. Makes you smarter. Would you be smarter if you had studied Spanish? Only in that you could understand the folks around you in line at Wal-Mart, talking about stuff you do not need to know.
You should be out cruising the Spanish Caribbean where it would be of great use not hanging out at some Wal-Mart.

Sometime I wish we had moved to a Spanish speaking country like the Dominican Republic or Panama instead of Thailand. We are learning to speak Thai but do you know how many other countries I will be able to use it in ... zip! Spanish or French would be a whole other story.
Old 05-12-2012, 23:28   #86

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
You do not need to sail around the world to have Spanish come in handy. Any American city with a meatpacking plant, is more Spanish than English seems like.

My Mother, when she would encounter someone in a conversation in a foreign language, would interupt them to say "you do, and you'll clean it up!" Then laugh at her own one liner.
Old 05-12-2012, 23:41   #87

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I'm always envious of the Europeans I meet here that can usually speak a couple languages. Learning a foreign language has always been on my bucket list, but Thai is pretty hard and I'm hoping it doesn't become one of my 5 regrets.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20   #88

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I'm always envious of the Europeans I meet here that can usually speak a couple languages. Learning a foreign language has always been on my bucket list, but Thai is pretty hard and I'm hoping it doesn't become one of my 5 regrets.
Mai koa jai...

Poop pa sa Thai nid noi...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12   #89

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I kinda like a Viking funeral in the middle of Biscayne Bay. Just me, my boat, 10 Gal. of gas, and a .45

Gun Thread!!!!!

Don, I get the gun and gasoline but have you thought about the timing? The gas ignition goes really fast. If you couldn't use the .45 you'd regret it albeit not for long.

Or the blast could knock you out of the boat. Is that when you are to use the .45?

Or were you planing a through shot into the gasoline? Guess that's what you need the .45 for, when a .22 would only reliably do the first part. Being an American, I too am armed but with a .357. Do you think I need more firepower? I want to be ready.

Me and Laura Nyro: We swear there ain't no heaven and we pray there ain't no hell.

Were you to anchor up for the funeral. What anchor do you prefer for that 2" deep grassy sand covering the coral?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:12   #90

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
My father died this morning at 0226 at home in hospice care. He worked hard all his life to give me a better opportunity to live and enjoy my life to a fuller extent. He never regretted it at all. I was blessed with a father whose personal dreams took a back seat to mine. I pray for two things, one that I will always take full advantage of what he gave me and two that my daughter will feel somewhat the same when my time finally comes. Dad, thank you for all you've given me and rest in peace
My condolences on your fathers death Tellie.

I was going to head to the Caribbean in my late 20s or so but then children entered. I have done the same thing. Worked so my children had it better than I did. My dad worked till 72 but was never there for us. I don't want my children to hate me but if I don't get a chance "before it is too late" to see if I like it (for more than a month) I will regret it I am sure.