Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 11:16   #331

Re: Spain and Ebola: Discuss

Is Cuba a free will society now?
Old 29-10-2014, 11:20   #332

Well who knows what Cuba is compared to other countries but the 4000 American soldiers probably didn't volunteer.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:24   #333

The American soldiers aren't volunteers?

You're scaring me.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:25   #334
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Lets get back to talking about monkeys
Old 29-10-2014, 11:31   #335

Hey Waggy,
Your out in front of this dumb Canadian. I just think you guys have stepped up to the mark as the only wait to beat this is to cut it off at its source. America has been pulling its weight for sure, its just that Cuba has really gone the extra mile. I don't know if the individuals had any say or not.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:36   #336

I don't know if the Cubans are volunteers or not either.

They very well could be I suppose.

I'm not sure how free Americans are. Might be why so many of them want to hop into a sailboat.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:38   #337

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggy View Post
I don't know if the Cubans are volunteers or not either.

They very well could be I suppose.

I'm not sure how free Americans are. Might be why so many of them want to hop into a sailboat.
Yeah, but the Cubans are willing to hop into much less seaworthy rafts.

Although the Americans joined the military as volunteers, I am willing to bet that the Cuban individuals had much more choice in going to this particular assignment than the individuals in the American military.
Old 29-10-2014, 11:45   #338

I just finished a news story that said Cuba has sent more health care workers than any country in the world.
Old 29-10-2014, 17:21   #339
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I weigh in on the quarantine side. However, it would be a lot different that what this nurse experienced. I would keep them comfortable, lots of good food and would pay them a high enough salary that they would not be hit in the pocketbook. Kinda like jury duty with good pay.
And in case you feel like I would not do this to me- if I treat Ebola patients- which may still happen in these next couple of years, I would self quarantine. Already worked it out with the Admiral.
Old 29-10-2014, 17:36   #340
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
f I treat Ebola patients- which may still happen in these next couple of years, I would self quarantine. Already worked it out with the Admiral.
Hopefully on a nice beach in the Bahamas

They never said WHERE you have to be.
Old 29-10-2014, 20:47   #341

Boat: Various

We have a situation today where Hichox yelled and screamed and threatened legal action over the New Jersey treatment, which was somewhat justified based on the way they handled it more than the requirement of quarantine. So then she goes to Maine and initially agrees to self quarantine, now only to break that and basically say she's not a risk and she'll do what she wants. Ms. Vinson might serve as an example to Ms. Hichox that she could well be a risk.

I honestly believe Ms. Hichox is hurting her cause and doing more to lead to possible quarantine requirements than she is making a point and helping health care workers.

I do find it hard to understand at this point. I know this. If somehow tomorrow I found myself helping someone I thought had the flu and it turned out to be Ebola, then I would absolutely 100% quarantine myself for 21 days. Even if the odds were 100 to 1 or 500 to 1 against me having Ebola, I would rather sacrifice 21 days than risk giving it to others. Give me a television and computer and a phone and somehow get me food and water and I'll be able to communicate with the outside world and will be just fine. I'd avoid exposing others if I had many highly contagious diseases and certainly one this serious.

And saying I would do this isn't all benevolent. Part of the self imposed quarantine is very much self interest. I would find it extremely difficult to live with passing it on to someone else, especially if they died or were permanently harmed. The guilt I would feel would be devastating.
Old 29-10-2014, 21:40   #342

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

The RN is saying there is no medical reason for a quarantine which is in conflict with what the head of the CDC says. Who is in charge?

She also says that there is no constitutional justification for a quarantine, as tho the Ebola virus can read.
Old 29-10-2014, 22:37   #343

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I just finished a news story that said Cuba has sent more health care workers than any country in the world.
They also lead the pack in faking data...
Old 29-10-2014, 22:39   #344

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
A pretty poorly written article IMO. They are right that Ebola isn't likely to become a problem in western countries. But the article talks about the worries of some people who from the sounds of it never spent any time in India. The culture in India is nothing at all like west Africa. If a major pandemic were going to run through India it would have happened years ago.
And given that even Nigeria managed to stop Ebola from spreading I don't see why any other functioning country shouldn't be able to do the same...
Old 29-10-2014, 23:22   #345

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I would find it extremely difficult to live with passing it on to someone else, especially if they died or were permanently harmed. The guilt I would feel would be devastating.
Most likely, You wouldn't live if you had passed it on. There's not much guilt after being dead.
Words are cheap! Some AIDS patients expose others just out of self pity and hate. What's to stop an Ebola victim? It would make a great WMD.
Closed Thread

Tags
Spain, spain