Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2014, 09:08   #316
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Spain and Ebola: Discuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
What a wonderful parade of paranoids this thread has revealed.
And the fool marginalizers...

The Grim Future if Ebola Goes Global | WIRED
Old 28-10-2014, 09:18   #317
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
When it comes to infectious diseases a certain amount of paranoia is a healthy thing...
According to William S. Burroughs:
“A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.”

Old 28-10-2014, 09:35   #318
cruiser

The conversation must be had, else you shalt repeat history, nay sayers.
Old 28-10-2014, 09:56   #319
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Good article salty. Thought provoking.
Old 28-10-2014, 10:14   #320

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

When my wife became pregnant with our son 23 years ago, she was routinely tested for immunity for communicable diseases. One in particular, is of concern. Rubella (German measles) is sometimes thought of as a relatively harmless disease to children, not as dangerous as measles in many circumstances. However, to a first trimester fetus, the disease can be devastating. A child born after having been exposed, in utero, to Rubella in the first trimester has a very high likelihood of being born deaf, blind and severely developmentally disabled. I have seen the results of this. The woman will be institutionalized for her entire life. Blind, deaf and having the mind of a 3 year old child.

Why be concerned? Altho my wife had been exposed to Rubella as a child, she had never gotten the disease and had ZERO immunity to it. As an attorney who represented abused and neglected children in court, she came into contact with dozens of children who had been abused and, in many cases, had not had their immunizations. The likelihood of her coming into contact with someone with active Rubella was low but it was deemed prudent (or paranoid, in the eyes of sneuman) to have my wife work in a different section of the county agency where she would not come into direct contact with this population.
Old 28-10-2014, 13:25   #321
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

Thanks for the link. Thoughtful.
Old 28-10-2014, 14:17   #322

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

A pretty poorly written article IMO. They are right that Ebola isn't likely to become a problem in western countries. But the article talks about the worries of some people who from the sounds of it never spent any time in India. The culture in India is nothing at all like west Africa. If a major pandemic were going to run through India it would have happened years ago.

This nonsense that "good Samaritans" will refuse to help in Africa if they have to stay in a tent in the US for a few days when they get back is ludicrous. The nurse that wrote the piece about her persecution when she got home makes one want to scream at the self centered nature of so-called humanitarian aid workers. I don't remember Neil Armstrong bitching about being in quarantine when he got back from the moon. It's part of the job.
Old 28-10-2014, 16:10   #323

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
A pretty poorly written article IMO. They are right that Ebola isn't likely to become a problem in western countries. But the article talks about the worries of some people who from the sounds of it never spent any time in India. The culture in India is nothing at all like west Africa. If a major pandemic were going to run through India it would have happened years ago.

This nonsense that "good Samaritans" will refuse to help in Africa if they have to stay in a tent in the US for a few days when they get back is ludicrous. The nurse that wrote the piece about her persecution when she got home makes one want to scream at the self centered nature of so-called humanitarian aid workers. I don't remember Neil Armstrong bitching about being in quarantine when he got back from the moon. It's part of the job.
I think what really bothered the nurse was the treatment at the airport and the fact so many people involved and none of them telling her what was going on. Had there been a policy she'd been told of in advance or even if someone had just pulled her aside and said, this is what the current policy is and apologized for the inconvenience she would be facing.

As to whether health care workers would refuse or be less likely to go, I think many factors create questions there as they're seeing more. I say openly I am not that type "good samaritan", I can't imagine going there and treating ebola patients. I simply wouldn't be able to handle that I don't think. So I greatly admire and appreciate those who do and I hope we show them our appreciation with whatever limitations we feel must be imposed. We've not always treated those returning from overseas tasks we asked them to do very well.
Old 28-10-2014, 16:39   #324

In this day and age of instant information it is expected to know instantly what is going on and have an explanation and resolution. Kinda like the 1 hour TV show. I would like to think I would be more forbearing and take things as they come but in reality I would have been as ticked off as she was. Damn it, tell me what is going on and why and I can deal with it. Lie to me and I will go off like a roman candle with premature ejaculation.
Old 29-10-2014, 03:29   #325
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
The conversation must be had, else you shalt repeat history, nay sayers.
There's a difference between having a conversation and making stuff up to make it all seem worse -- that's beyond paranoia. Salty, you of all people would do well to know the distinction.
Old 29-10-2014, 09:43   #326
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Ya, there is nothing more self centered than traveling half way around the world to risk your life in a third world country for people you don't know, while getting paid nothing to do so.

Oh wait that isn't self centered, that's the exact opposite. The fact she was treated worse than a criminal when she got home, for absolutely no medical justification and complained about it also doesn't mean she was being self centered, it just means she doesn't want to be treated like a criminal.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 29-10-2014, 10:28   #327

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Many people are taking all of their vacation or one month sabbaticals to go help out in Africa. If they have to tack on a 21 day quarantine, they might not have time to actually do anything while in Africa and we would need three times as many people to keep up the current staffing levels.
Old 29-10-2014, 10:34   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Many people are taking all of their vacation or one month sabbaticals to go help out in Africa. If they have to tack on a 21 day quarantine, they might not have time to actually do anything while in Africa and we would need three times as many people to keep up the current staffing levels.

It seems there is a conflict with no easy solution. The only person in the US currently grappling with the disease is the Dr who travelled around NYC after returning from Africa. It appears that once he developed symptoms and ended up in the hospital he wasn't initially completely forthcoming with authorities about his activities. Once evidence was presented indicating he had used credit cards and rapid transit passes did he start to come clean.

This is the kind of behavior that makes folks concerned, don't you think? Voluntary quarantine doesn't seem to work with these kind responsible folks when they return to the US. While they should be lauded for their actions while in Africa, their is legitimate cause for concern when they aren't truthful upon their return. Couple that with the confusing information given to folks about what they can and can not do along with a fear mongering MSM, it makes for a mess.
Old 29-10-2014, 10:42   #329
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
...Voluntary quarantine doesn't seem to work with these kind responsible folks when they return to the US.
Old 29-10-2014, 10:45   #330

OK I think health care workers who go to Africa are hero's, not the ******** kind made in America Hollywood style we hear about but real hero's. They risk their own lives to help others day in and day out.

Cuba is punching way above their weight as they have sent over a huge contingent of health care workers to Africa compared to the size of their country and then there is Australia that have done absolutely nothing. I always gave the Aussi's points but when they have to really show their colors, well........
Closed Thread

Tags
Spain, spain