Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 16:06   #196

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Christian,

I disagree about the founding fathers.

If they saw the bastardization of their creation, they would jump for joy to see the people rising up against the evil being perpetrated on us.

We're not being seen as citizens, but merely "consumers" and worker bees for the "Elitists" in the government who are wielding ever more power over us.

BTW, with a stroke of his pen, FDR made a felon of anyone holding gold in any form
other than historical coins or jewelry.

Confiscation was the order of the day.

It can happen again, and probably will.

Steve B.
Old 07-03-2009, 16:12   #197
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Anyone want to buy some gold?
Old 07-03-2009, 16:54   #198
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
<snip>

BTW, with a stroke of his pen, FDR made a felon of anyone holding gold in any form
other than historical coins or jewelry.

Confiscation was the order of the day.

It can happen again, and probably will.

Steve B.
Not quite accurate, Senor Steve. Roosevelt's Executive Order also exempted up to $100 worth of gold for any one person. At the time, the official price was $20/oz., so people could legally hold up to five ounces, and $100 then represented about 7% of the average annual salary of ~$1400.

There was only one prosecution for violation of the Executive Order, and, as it turned out, the presiding judge threw the case out on the grounds that the order should have been signed by the Secretary of the Treasury, not the President.

Keep in mind, also, that gold was then legal currency. Since the Gold Reserve Act of 1934, which abrogated the gold clause of the Constitution, gold has been considered by the government to be a mere commodity, not a currency. And since the government snipped the last remaining link to gold when Nixon closed the gold window in 1971, thereby disavowing any official recognition of gold as currency, I fail to see the point of confiscation in the current era.

The end result of the present fiscal mess may well be a return to a Gold Certificate Ratio, but there again, I fail to see how gold confiscation fits into that picture. At any rate, this drifts well beyond the scope of MoonlightShadow's original question - where should one go in the wake of financial armageddon?

It's an interesting question, I think, but I'm of the opinion that the correct answer will only be apparent in hindsight. I'm afraid that those who survive will look back on this chaotic period and once again find themselves saying, "If I only knew then what I know now . . . "

TaoJones
Old 07-03-2009, 17:06   #199

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Steve B., we will have to agree to disagree. Let it be known however, if our founding fathers were here, and of their same minds, several would quickly be prosecuted for owning and raping Human beings. They would be portrayed as monsters. A lot has changed since 1776. What would they say about the raping of the working class and their retirements by Investment Bankers? I'm not trying to insult you, I really do respect your opinion.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 07-03-2009, 17:27   #200

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Did somebody say Tax cuts? HA ! Anyone who is in buisness will be robbed soon.
When Obama spends more and more than anybody can repay. I expect that roving bands of liberals will attack our homes with baseball bats because we are not earning enough to pay our "fair share" of taxes.
My buisness is in the crapper yet I am sure it is MY fault that I can't support a 1000 deadbeats who prefer not to work hard.
Oh yea- for the past 16 years the democrats have enjoyed control. I don't care who the president is. Any politician that spends our hard earned money foolishly should be out of a job. Problem is, who is left to run the government?
The owner of our marina E-mailed the other day to say that they have to save the water used to power wash hulls as well as the "overspray" and ship it off site to process/recycle!
Just shoot me now
Old 07-03-2009, 17:54   #201

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Anyone want to buy some gold?
Are you selling?

May have left your run a bit late to buy in the great Gold Bubble of 2009

London Fix Historical - result

Dave
Old 07-03-2009, 17:56   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
The owner of our marina E-mailed the other day to say that they have to save the water used to power wash hulls as well as the "overspray" and ship it off site to process/recycle!
Dude, the owner of your marina is YEARS behind the regulation! But go ahead and blame it on Obama too, if it makes you feel better!

Old 07-03-2009, 18:22   #203

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
Did somebody say Tax cuts? HA ! Anyone who is in buisness will be robbed soon.
When Obama spends more and more than anybody can repay. I expect that roving bands of liberals will attack our homes with baseball bats because we are not earning enough to pay our "fair share" of taxes.
My buisness is in the crapper yet I am sure it is MY fault that I can't support a 1000 deadbeats who prefer not to work hard.
Oh yea- for the past 16 years the democrats have enjoyed control. I don't care who the president is. Any politician that spends our hard earned money foolishly should be out of a job. Problem is, who is left to run the government?
Just shoot me now
EXCUSE ME!!! Do you have any idea how much we spent on a war in a country with oil who did not have any weapons of mass destruction??? Well it is almost $603 BILLION and an estimated 265,000 people died in the process. But don't take my liberal word for it. Here is a website that shows the running number Cost of War | National Priorities Project Of course if you disagree with the facts just label them liberals too. So don't blame a President who has been in office for a month and a half when we've had 8 years of Chimpanzee spending.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-03-2009, 18:35   #204

Have a look at The Baseline Scenario, fascinating stuff from MIT.
Old 07-03-2009, 18:48   #205

Question: What weapons would a roving band of liberals actually carry?

I MUST know the answer to this...

Old 07-03-2009, 19:25   #206

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Question: What weapons would a roving band of liberals actually carry?

I MUST know the answer to this...
A rapier wit?
Caustic aspersions?
A copy of "The Feminine Mystique?"
Old 07-03-2009, 20:14   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish62 View Post
A rapier wit?
Jeez, that is good! Tying weaponry, a piratical reference, and the obvious superiority of our mental abilities all in three words! I'm so glad you've never challenged me to scrabble! Ah, Women who run with the words...

Old 16-03-2009, 09:44   #208

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
TREASON - That which is commited daily, by most in political office, without fear of prosecution, due to power.
Old 16-03-2009, 11:53   #209

Boat: Columbia 41
Christian,

Feets don't fail me now! I guess I better get out of the country right away - and take my money with me.
Old 16-03-2009, 13:35   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
Christian,

Feets don't fail me now! I guess I better get out of the country right away - and take my money with me.
Dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya...

Closed Thread