Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-10-2010, 12:40   #1591

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Y66, do you use sign language? That's a language skill that would really narrow the mate pool!
Margo --

I do sign language - not AMERICAN sign language, but I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

John
Old 15-10-2010, 14:15   #1592
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol i know NY italian cabbie language, too.. drive with knees and sign to each other
Old 15-10-2010, 14:41   #1593
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Margo --

I do sign language - not AMERICAN sign language, but I think you'll know what I'm talking about.

John
ROTFLMAO! Just so it's not the one with the middle finger! Tho sometimes I can be a bit dense and need some really obvious signals. Heehee!

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 15-10-2010, 15:06   #1594

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
sometimes I can be a bit dense and need some really obvious signals.
When faced with that sort of communication challenge, I sometimes require four hands to get my point across. Can I use yours?

John
Old 15-10-2010, 15:37   #1595
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
When faced with that sort of communication challenge, I sometimes require four hands to get my point across. Can I use yours?

John
Oh yeah. Just put them where they need to be!

Old 16-10-2010, 06:30   #1596

Lightbulb

Ah, it's dangerous to scan this thread too quickly or without enough coffee, even when just window shopping.

After seeing Zee's quip that she's into men not women, I nearly replied to another post with the statement that if she wanted to, she could well convince a woman to switch teams. Fortunately I saw in time that the intriguing post in question wasn't by Zee in this case. I'm not sure how a man would take being told he could convince a het woman to switch teams!

The see-more-posts-by-username function is treacherous -- one interesting post can draw a person into reading back for months. Not just chainplates, cutlasses and charts, but references to William A. Earle, Hannah Arendt and Patricia Neal and even a smattering of l'argot pied-noir. Nothing like you crowd of lovely people and a few choice individuals to nudge long-held stereotypes toward new (equally subjective) paradigms. Thanks for that.

Whether requiring ASL or Gestuno narrows the pool of available potential partners, I figure if you're baking your ideal shipmate, s/he'll automatically adapt to whatever extra requirements you have. Just keep water off that gingerbread! FWIW I imagine that brown eye color would be better suited to life at sea, as it provides more UV protection than lighter eye colors do.

Now skulking back into mostly-lurk, low-capacity-to-engage mode.
Old 16-10-2010, 06:53   #1597

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift View Post
Now skulking back into mostly-lurk, low-capacity-to-engage mode.
Alrighty, then - "Single Ninja Non-sailor Seeks Articulate Foil for Intermittent Verbal Sparring."

There's room for everyone here, homie. Why lurk when you can expose each other's preconceptions and contradictions? Great sport, and we have one recent success story.

John
Old 16-10-2010, 11:37   #1598

i hope everyone can meet thier soulmates to enjoy a world of endless dreams beyond thier horizons, way to go oceangirl
Old 16-10-2010, 13:47   #1599

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Gawd I love STEEL boats!!

My adventure continues: My very good mechanic in Alameda, Martin Chin advised me to get the water contaminated oil out of my engine by pulling the drain plug and letting it drip for a day, which I did. My new found Aussie friend from this forum Mike came over and we ran around town looking for parts without much success, but that's another story. New oil, new filter, repaired hose, life is good in the Peoples Republic of Berkeley, I'm ready to go. So, Friday morning after running the iron genny for a bit off I go.

Weather isn't bad, some chop on the bay and way too much spray on my new pilot house windows, but life is good despite the fog. I love being at sea, even if sea is just a bay. The old girl is making an easy six knots, I'm not pushing her as I just want to get to Napa and I've got plenty of time. By the time I clear the San Rafael bridge the fog has cleared, I'm a happy deaf man. Except I'm smelling exhaust and I shouldn't. Ohhh pooop.

Down below things aren't as bad as I feared, the main exhaust hose that I'd planned to replace in Napa has a 1.5" tear and some exhaust is coming out but not much water. Duct tape to the rescue, does not work this time. Finally give up and shut down the engine on the far side of The Brothers to do a proper repair with some spare rubber gasket material and hose clamps. Works like I charm, the engine is hard to turn over, but she does and we're off. Then the oil gauge starts fluctuating. Shoot, forgot to check the oil when I did the exhaust repair, so I shut down engine to check oil, which is fine, no sign of water, still clear even though we've been motoring about 3 hours at this point.

Turn the key to crank her back up.....nothing. A weak groan at best. ****. Check battery, it's fine. Still won't turn over. Splice spare battery just to be sure I've got plenty of amps....no go. Many many expletives undelete. Vessel Assist, remember me?

My best buddy in Arizona makes the call for me all the while questioning my sanity but he gets sea sick in the bath tub, so it's ok. VA arrives in time, my new best friend is a young kid with three buddies along for the ride. I'm eager to make the draw bridge on the Napa river before it closes at 5:30 so off we go at 7.5 knots. Fast is good, towing me right in the boats wake and prop wash makes steering a challenge, but I an live with that. We blow by the Napa river entrance because the boy is too preoccupied with his buddies and just then the tow line snaps but they are so into their good time they don't know it and leave me behind. A toot on my horn gets their attention and we re-rig the line. We clear the draw bridge with time to spare making 8.4 knots. This kid is in a hurry I guess.

We arrive at Napa still making 8+ knots and he finally slows down just a bit. I expect he will drop the bow tow and come along side to guide me into the pier, but he doesn't. The kids in a hurry you see. So, we come roaring into the marina way too fast bow line only. I get lined up with dock and yell at kid to slow me down, but he ignores me. We're going waaaaaay too fast. The marina manager is there and he's telling the kid the same thing I am, SLOW DOWN, but the kids in a hurry. I'm lined up to dock, throw my line to the manager, but the kid forgets 26T of boat does not stop just because you want it to. Manager and I are both yelling at kid, but to no avail. Finally he realizes we are in fact coming in waaaaay to fast, but as he's only rigged the bow line, there is nothing he can do.

I brace for impact, which was surprisingly soft all things considered. See if you can match the the damage to the part of the boat that did the damage! The object of Mariah's affection was the dock in front of the fuel shack and the roof flashing of said shack. Gawd I love steel boats!

Anyway, all settled in here. This is a nice place, I'm happy. I suspect the engine problem has to do with immersed starter. Things could be worse.

Regards,

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	booboo1_edited-1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	20230   Click image for larger version

Name:	booboo2_edited-1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	20231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	booboo3_edited-1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	20232   Click image for larger version

Name:	booboo4.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	20233  

Old 16-10-2010, 13:55   #1600

Margo, I don't sign. The VA does not support signing for folks who've lost their hearing later in life like me. In part because there are few folks in your life to sign to. If you are born deaf or loose you hearing early in life, then you are supposedly more adapt at getting into the signing culture. That's what they tell me anyway. I read lips some, but unfortunately I'm just not smart enough to learn to read lips on the phone or radio. Silly me. Some how I always seem to muddle through one way or another though.

Regards,

Thomas
Old 16-10-2010, 14:03   #1601

Boat: Maxi 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
My adventure continues:

Thomas

Absolutely wonderful post. Made my evening. Hope you won´t have to ask your new best friend for a tow in a while tho
Old 16-10-2010, 14:28   #1602
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
wow!! adventuring!! and isnt even paradise!!!
vessel adrift... has a rep for that.... they hire newbies... and have massive ADHD.... glad you survived.!!you can feel the rhythms or the engine thru your feet?? how do you tell about engine function?? can you feel song?? like engine song? just curious--i used to be able to feel not pitch but rhythm with my feet is why i asked--and i can hear fine, far as i know..but i am just weird..LOL
i hope the spectacularity of your adventures slows down a bit--there is only a small amount of that one body can handle!!!!
Old 16-10-2010, 15:10   #1603

I'm not deaf, deaf, I have some hearing, but human speech is largely unintelligable to me. Yes I can hear her purrr, but not always purrr bad. Ya' know? This is why I'm placing so much emphasis in the very near future on finding a boat girl/woman/person. Depending upon your level of political correctness.

Regards,

Thomas
Old 16-10-2010, 16:10   #1604
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Some how I always seem to muddle through one way or another though.
Thomas,

Seems you need a loyal crew to be your ears. Someone you could work out private signals with to help clear some of the muddling. Mates often develop a special shared language.

Hey gang, let's all make a priority of finding Yachty a special mate.

Margo

Old 16-10-2010, 18:08   #1605

Boat: Horizon 39
Thomas can lip read, although not very well if you have an Aussie accent.
Seriously, should should you meet Thomas, you will walk away very much more enlightened.

Sorry Thomas

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate