Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2010, 17:37   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
SeaWorld Orca Trainer Killed

It is a sad, sad thing when someone is killed in such a fashion. SeaWorld Orlando: 1 dead at SeaWorld Orlando Shamu attraction - latimes.com

I am left to wonder what message we will be left with after this tragedy is investigated. As those of us who have encountered orcas and other whales in the wild come to quickly realize -- these are majestic animals, to be sure, but they are also incredibly huge, strong, and yes, they have a will of their own.

Personally, I will not patronize "attractions" like SeaWorld, although I also realize that for many, it may be the closest they will ever come to experiencing the ocean world that those of us who cruise on it love with all our hearts. But, this is a high price to pay; not only for the trainer and her family, but for the captured creatures.

I really wonder what the orca was thinking, because I'm pretty darn sure that Tilikum was definitely thinking something. An accident, simply a case of what would be playful for an orca being fatal for a human? Intentional, focused anger, "I've had it with you and now I'm going to show you who really rules in the water"?

I wonder.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 17:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Who knows what they are thinking, but if they really do have a reasonable degree of intelligence, their lives would be no different than putting a human in a tiny jail cell and then told to go do tricks if you want to eat. That type of environment would make any intelligent creature at least partially mentally ill and probably angry at their captors.

Wouldn't you at least be a little pissed if a bunch of monkeys captured you and put you in front of hundreds of other monkeys as the star of their show?

I do have sympathy for the woman who died. But its the same sympathy I would have for a logger who dies cutting down the rain forest.

If people want to go see orcas, then go see them in the wild or turn on Animal Planet. These intelligent mammals do not belong in tiny concrete jails. What surprises me is this does not happen more often.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:00   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Thank you DavidM! You are 100% correct.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:00   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more, too. After all, orcas are the top of the oceanic food chain. They've been known to play with great whites, before killing them.

On a happier note, though: New Calf Spotted With L Pod » Kitsap Sun

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:06   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
This particular whale is said to be responsible for two other fatalities as well...Time to "Free Willie" I'd Say...and I agree with the sentiment if ya want to watch a whale show, get on a boat.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:14   #6

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
My sympathies to the family of the trainer lost and the person "Tilly" got before her, but I agree, it isn't right to be keeping these, or other animals in captivity under such conditions to make a buck. Perhaps this will help to shed some light on the practice although I won't hold my breath waiting. So long as there is money to be made it will probably continue. You are right not to patronize such establishments.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:18   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'm not endorsing captured whales but we have learned a lot about these creatures while in captivity. Like chimps when they reach a certain age they probably become more aggressive and should be released or relocated. A change of environment will even pep up my dog.

But the loss of one life in such a long while is nothing compared to the deaths with horses, dogs, elephants, camels, limas and other livestock.

We as humans have domain over the animals and should recognize when something is going wrong, especially with such large creatures. Maybe someone did but for the $$$ refused to deal with it.
Old 24-02-2010, 18:24   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
Congress will no doubt have hearings, debate and act on proposals to ban Killer Whales immediately.
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:39   #9

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hence the name "Killer", duh. I cant stand to see something that magnificent in a tank.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:41   #10

And the sea worlds will send their money to loby congress and disinform the public and all will continue so they can make a buck....
Old 24-02-2010, 18:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzo View Post
Congress will no doubt have hearings, debate and act on proposals to ban Killer Whales immediately.
Before an outright ban, there should be taxation on them; and then they'll need health care.
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:46   #12

That's exactly it, there are many tax dollars to be gained in the game as well.
Old 24-02-2010, 18:48   #13

Boat: Bristol 29
Orcas are the smartest animal in the sea, so there was probably intention behind such an ironic accident. I can't blame the whale any more than you could blame a caged lion for attaching a trainer. Seaworld is the largest taker of orcas. Perhaps this incident will encourage InBev to divest itself of captured wild animals.
Old 24-02-2010, 18:55   #14

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more, too. After all, orcas are the top of the oceanic food chain. They've been known to play with great whites, before killing them.

On a happier note, though: New Calf Spotted With L Pod » Kitsap Sun

ID
That is tremendous news! I know Ken Balcomb must feel like a new dad!
Old 24-02-2010, 19:30   #15

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
What a tragic story, I read about it today and was surprised to hear how common a tale this is.
Spencer