Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2007, 08:41   #1

Boat: Zack C bayliner 3870
Sea Scouts find a home

Well, after a long search in the Myrtle Beach SC area the Sea Scouts finally have a home thanks to the G/M of Barefoot Landing Marina. Along with the Sea Scouts I brought the Bayliner 3870 from New Burn NC to a private dock in the South Myrtle Beach area which we were given for use. The only problem was after arriving we found out that there was no electric power or water to hook up to. So, the search was underway, talking to any one we could find with a boat slip and no boat. We had been told that marines in the area were full and had a waiting list. In mid June I was really starting to get worried about the condition of the boat sitting for so long with out any power. The batteries were old and would not hold a charge, even when we would take a generator and try to charge them up. So, full or not I started calling marinas in the area and got no where. Next step was to visit them in person and plead our case. One marina that I did not call was Barefoot Landing Marina, so last Tuesday I went over to the marina. Now Barefoot Landing marina is probably one of the smallest marinas in the area and could least afford to give up a boat slip for twelve months a year to the Sea Scouts. So Tuesday afternoon I met with Frank Drennan the G/M of Barefoot Landing Marina, and after a few minutes of telling Frank about the Sea Scouts and all the things they did he said "You know this might could be a good thing for both Barefoot Landing Marina and the Sea Scouts." After talking some more and swapping ideas it was learned that Frank had a lot of small projects that he needed help with, and there would always be something around to be done all year long. With a smile on both of our facieses and a shake of a hand the Myrtle Beach Sea Scouts had found a home for the "Zack 'C'". If you travel the ICW through Myrtle Beach SC give us a wave we are on the south end of the dock right in front of Greg Normans. Better still stop in and spend a night or two you want regret it. Last night at 10:30 pm the Zack "C" and the Myrtle Beach Sea Scouts proudly tided up at their new home. Thank you Mr. Frank Drennan and Barefoot Landing Marina.
Old 14-07-2007, 18:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Great story - I assume the Sea Scouts are a kids group? If so keep us posted on the Sea Scouts activites.

We've got a few on water things but I am thinking about started up some on-shore stuff. Boat maintenance, knot tying projects etc.

We are trying to revitalize our kids activities and could use any success story ideas.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 21:23   #3

Boat: Zack C bayliner 3870
The sea scouts come under the umbrella of the Boy Scouts of America. They are 14 to 21 years of age and are both boys and girls. They learn a lot of safety, navigation, operation and maintenance. They do everything from changing the oil to cooking dinner.
Old 20-07-2007, 05:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 8 boats, to many to name
Sea Scouts

I was in the Sea Scouts in N.C. during the 60's and had a great time. Good group.
edboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 06:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sea Scouts (Boy Scouts of America)
Sea Scouts, BSA

Canadian Sea Scouts
Canadian Sea Scouts - Home Port

Canadian Sea Scout Manual (1967)
http://www.thedump.scoutscan.com/cssm1967.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 04:32   #6

UK Sea Scouts looking to build links with US Sea Scouts Myrtle Beach

I see from the thread of ZackC that Myrtle Beach have a Sea Scouts. I am the Group Sea Scout leader of the Wheaton Aston Sea Scouts in the UK. I was wondering if you coud pass my details over to the leader of Myrtle Beach so that we could build up an international link between our two groups. Many thanks Steve
InlandUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 15:05   #7

Boat: S2 11.0A
I was in sea scout Ship 8 in the Panama Canal Zone. We had a large Ferro Cement schooner, Chief Aptakisic, which the scouts restored and sailed to New York in 1976 for the Bicentenial Operation Sail. When they left the dock in Panama there were 3 adults and a group of teenagers with almost no sailing experience. They learned to sail and navigate on the way to Jamaica. It's an amazing story of courage, luck and maybe a little stupidity. When they returned we chartered the boat in the Perlas islands to cover our maintenance expenses. During my time on the Chief from 1976 - 1980 the entire program was run by the teenagers with very little adult involvement. I was the First mate from 1978 - 1980 though I was not yet 17 years old. The experience set the course of my life.
Dave
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 16:00   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
As an Eagle Scout, I am heartened to hear stories like this.

The owner of this Marina will get a lot of goodwill out of this.

Unlike a Marina/Yacht Yard in XXXXXXXXX that didn't want to budge and be a good guy.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 17:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I was in Sea Scouts in Alameda, CA in the seventies. We had a 104 footer we took down along the California coast as far south as Ensenada Mexico. Its a great thing for a teenager. Being in Sea Scouts inspired me to go to the maritime academy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 17:55   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473
I want to donate some navigation equipment to the Sea Scouts.

Do you need any? Parallel Rulers, Speed Wheels, dividers.....

If yes send me a shipping address.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 18:40   #11

Boat: Privilege 39
The Sea Scouts are absolutely an amazing experience for kids. My son is crew on Ship #145 - SSS Challenger out of Redwood City. He's only been on the crew since August, but has already learned more about team work, boat handling, navigation, engineering, knots, marlinspike, and so on than most of the adult boaters I know.

It's a very tough time for Sea Scout ships right now with fuel prices causing them to cancel cruises, people being so busy in their daily lives, and waning membership in general. If you have a chance to help out the Sea Scouts in any way, or help get teens involved, I can tell you first hand that it's really appreciated and a good thing for everyone!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 20:25   #12
Eternal Member

Did the SSS RELIANCE ever get to California?

It was the ex USCG Buoy Tender.....Darn I can't Remember the Name...It, I believe was a FLOWER Class.

I helped them get some of the old electronics and other junk off of it.

all for............................................... a hat.
Old 27-05-2008, 20:36   #13
Eternal Member

AHHHH the Brain is a wunnerful thing it was USCGC "SORREL"
Old 28-05-2008, 08:04   #14

Boat: Privilege 39
Hmmmm... I believe that may now be the SSS Morris out of Stockton, CA. They are still an active ship, I remember seeing their Regatta team. My son thinks Reliance and Morris are the same Sea Scout "Ship".
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote