Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 07:13   #16

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Sailing trip from hell

We carried a not insignificant first aid kit. First and foremost were prescription strength painkillers that would make a wounded elephant smile. We also had a spectrum of antibiotics and a sat phone.

For a major incident, call a doctor on the sat phone and treat with supplies on hand. One could substitute the sat phone for an on-board complete series of House or St. Elsewhere (just kidding here).

At least you could have a fighting chance of getting functional after an accident.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:20   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Many moons ago, I had failed a certain part of my medical training exam twice. The third one was my last chance.

2 days before the exam, I went fishing and got a staph infection in my eyes.... I literally could not keep my eyes open and the pain was something else. Last chance.

I walked into the exam room, or rather was led, and requested either someone read the paper to me or give me an aural exam... my eyes were red, pus filled and I was in a mild fevered state......Last chance.

They gave me an aural exam and I took it entirely from memory as I could not see any diagrams or graphs....... No mercy was spared and it took an hour. My mind was on another planet but it was important to me.... NOTHING was going to stop me. I passed.

NOTHING will stop you. its a cracked patella for goodness sake... they mend. Your a sailor... do the work and the matter will be considered nothing more than a postponement of your travel arrangements.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
We carried a not insignificant first aid kit. First and foremost were prescription strength painkillers that would make a wounded elephant smile. We also had a spectrum of antibiotics and a sat phone.

For a major incident, call a doctor on the sat phone and treat with supplies on hand. One could substitute the sat phone for an on-board complete series of House or St. Elsewhere (just kidding here).

At least you could have a fighting chance of getting functional after an accident.
Surprisingly there has been little pain except when moving the knee. The key thing seemed to be making a splint to support the leg and keep it straight. I think any attempt to go down into the cabin without a splint would have meant unbearable pain.

If I was sailing, the flagpole would have made a handy splint, I think.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:25   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Surprisingly there has been little pain except when moving the knee. The key thing seemed to be making a splint to support the leg and keep it straight. I think any attempt to go down into the cabin without a splint would have meant unbearable pain.

If I was sailing, the flagpole would have made a handy splint, I think.
Always keep some wood lengths on board. They come in handy for lots of things...
Old 17-04-2014, 07:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Always keep some wood lengths on board. They come in handy for lots of things...
After this experience, I will seriously look at getting something specifically for this... Usually when I buy something "just in case" it is a waste of money and the will suit me nicely ;-)
Old 17-04-2014, 07:30   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
After this experience, I will seriously look at getting something specifically for this... Usually when I buy something "just in case" it is a waste of money and the will suit me nicely ;-)
Good.
My bill is in the mail

Im not unsympathetic to your situation. ITs just: well, its happened and there is nothing to unhappen it... you have no choice but to fix it and this is NO TIME to doubt yourself. NEVER doubt yourself. You have a weakness in the joints but it never stopped you and it should not now.....

Enjoy life.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:37   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Good.
My bill is in the mail

Im not unsympathetic to your situation. ITs just: well, its happened and there is nothing to unhappen it... you have no choice but to fix it and this is NO TIME to doubt yourself. NEVER doubt yourself. You have a weakness in the joints but it never stopped you and it should not now.....

Enjoy life.
You are right...

When I crashed my car at the Nurburgring it never stopped me going back and doing laps. I did learn to stay away from my cars limits because they are (way) beyond my own. I now just enjoy leisurely laps.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:41   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You are right...

When I crashed my car at the Nurburgring it never stopped me going back and doing laps. I did learn to stay away from my cars limits because they are (way) beyond my own. I now just enjoy leisurely laps.
Good.

My work here is done...... Time for fish and chips.
Keep us informed of the progress. A few boring weeks and you will be back. Its not going to be like it was before but it will work....... and thats all you need.

Lotsa luck.

Oh.. and if you do decide to wimp out on sailing....... Ill give you $100 for the boat

Take care my friend.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:59   #24
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Use it as a lesson. Carefully placed footsteps and mindfullness are part of the game. It comes like the built in fear of a bad step navigating a dock i have. Its almost like a phobia of mine. Ive fell through an old docks, walked off a dock while drunk sending a text once. After those two episodes it sunk in. It only takes one hurried step to conceivably end your life. What liveaboard marina doesnt have a story or two or three about the resident found face down in the water. The boat is even less friendly to badly placed steps. If your not kicking a cleat with a bare toe your falling through an open hatch. Fear of the bad step is a good thing.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:08   #25

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Use it as a lesson. Carefully placed footsteps and mindfullness are part of the game. It comes like the built in fear of a bad step navigating a dock i have. Its almost like a phobia of mine. Ive fell through an old docks, walked off a dock while drunk sending a text once. After those two episodes it sunk in. It only takes one hurried step to conceivably end your life. What liveaboard marina doesnt have a story or two or three about the resident found face down in the water. The boat is even less friendly to badly placed steps. If your not kicking a cleat with a bare toe your falling through an open hatch. Fear of the bad step is a good thing.
Fell through an open hatch 2 summers ago. At the dock. Second day into a yachting vacation. Laid in the bunk for three days before giving up and going home. No pain meds except aspirin. Was in a somewhat remote place. Three broken ribs and the usual readjustment of near by soft tissue.

I could not imagine dealing with that injury off-shore. Totally debilitating.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:20   #26

Boat: Catalina 30

One other thing I would highly suggest is to take a wilderness first aid course. It may be hard to find one but it would be highly advantageous for accidents on the water. Essentially it is a MacGyver style first aid course. It teaches you how to treat major and minor injuries when you don't have advanced medical supplies. It is focused for use when hiking but can easily be applied to sailing. It really helps you think outside the box and teaches you how you can treat injuries with common products you would have on board.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:27   #27

Boat: Freedom 38

Are there things you could do in the future to mitigate this from happening again? For example, did you have a hand on the boat when you fell? Could you use a backpack instead of a duffle? The reason I suggest this is because I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, and I single hand, so doing something without thinking it through has consequences, and bad things can create a cascading effect. As to your question, it might be good to learn offshore first aid and then literally think through each step you make. Caution is good, but having a "fear monkey" on your back could be a real problem.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Are there things you could do in the future to mitigate this from happening again? For example, did you have a hand on the boat when you fell?
It's all a blur now. I don't even know which foot tripped and on what or in which hand I was carrying the bag.

I suspect that I was tripped up by the line holding the fender at the stern. I was very aware that it was in the way and was conscious of it the first time I got onboard. Normally I rig it up in the same way when I come into the marina but reroute it once moored.

Now that I think about it, one of the guys working on the boat asked if I wanted a hand with the bags. I said "no, I'll be right"
Old 17-04-2014, 08:44   #29

Sorry to hear, hope you mend well and fast. I broke my leg skiing in Jan 2009 and the plate they put in my leg broke (!) in August requiring a second surgery (left femur).

Both my doctor and the PT guys said boating is the best thing for recovery for your muscles.

Best advice I ever got.

I have always been a one hand for yourself one hand for the boat guy 'cuz I do a lot of singlehanding.

Still do, don't let it freak you out, with the advice given here, just be prepared.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:49   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sorry to hear, hope you mend well and fast. I broke my leg skiing in Jan 2009 and the plate they put in my leg broke (!) in August requiring a second surgery (left femur).

Both my doctor and the PT guys said boating is the best thing for recovery for your muscles.

Best advice I ever got.

I have always been a one hand for yourself one hand for the boat guy 'cuz I do a lot of singlehanding.

Still do, don't let it freak you out, with the advice given here, just be prepared.
Broke?
wow..... should've used that made in Sheffield England metal. Nothing breaks that..

Tags
sail, sailing