Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 08:13   #16
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Sailing trip from hell

We carried a not insignificant first aid kit. First and foremost were prescription strength painkillers that would make a wounded elephant smile. We also had a spectrum of antibiotics and a sat phone.

For a major incident, call a doctor on the sat phone and treat with supplies on hand. One could substitute the sat phone for an on-board complete series of House or St. Elsewhere (just kidding here).

At least you could have a fighting chance of getting functional after an accident.
__________________

__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:20   #17
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Many moons ago, I had failed a certain part of my medical training exam twice. The third one was my last chance.

2 days before the exam, I went fishing and got a staph infection in my eyes.... I literally could not keep my eyes open and the pain was something else. Last chance.

I walked into the exam room, or rather was led, and requested either someone read the paper to me or give me an aural exam... my eyes were red, pus filled and I was in a mild fevered state......Last chance.

They gave me an aural exam and I took it entirely from memory as I could not see any diagrams or graphs....... No mercy was spared and it took an hour. My mind was on another planet but it was important to me.... NOTHING was going to stop me. I passed.

NOTHING will stop you. its a cracked patella for goodness sake... they mend. Your a sailor... do the work and the matter will be considered nothing more than a postponement of your travel arrangements.
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:22   #18
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
We carried a not insignificant first aid kit. First and foremost were prescription strength painkillers that would make a wounded elephant smile. We also had a spectrum of antibiotics and a sat phone.

For a major incident, call a doctor on the sat phone and treat with supplies on hand. One could substitute the sat phone for an on-board complete series of House or St. Elsewhere (just kidding here).

At least you could have a fighting chance of getting functional after an accident.
Surprisingly there has been little pain except when moving the knee. The key thing seemed to be making a splint to support the leg and keep it straight. I think any attempt to go down into the cabin without a splint would have meant unbearable pain.

If I was sailing, the flagpole would have made a handy splint, I think.
__________________
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:25   #19
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Surprisingly there has been little pain except when moving the knee. The key thing seemed to be making a splint to support the leg and keep it straight. I think any attempt to go down into the cabin without a splint would have meant unbearable pain.

If I was sailing, the flagpole would have made a handy splint, I think.
Always keep some wood lengths on board. They come in handy for lots of things...
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:29   #20
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Always keep some wood lengths on board. They come in handy for lots of things...
After this experience, I will seriously look at getting something specifically for this... Usually when I buy something "just in case" it is a waste of money and the will suit me nicely ;-)
__________________
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:30   #21
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
After this experience, I will seriously look at getting something specifically for this... Usually when I buy something "just in case" it is a waste of money and the will suit me nicely ;-)
Good.
My bill is in the mail

Im not unsympathetic to your situation. ITs just: well, its happened and there is nothing to unhappen it... you have no choice but to fix it and this is NO TIME to doubt yourself. NEVER doubt yourself. You have a weakness in the joints but it never stopped you and it should not now.....

Enjoy life.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:37   #22
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Good.
My bill is in the mail

Im not unsympathetic to your situation. ITs just: well, its happened and there is nothing to unhappen it... you have no choice but to fix it and this is NO TIME to doubt yourself. NEVER doubt yourself. You have a weakness in the joints but it never stopped you and it should not now.....

Enjoy life.
You are right...

When I crashed my car at the Nurburgring it never stopped me going back and doing laps. I did learn to stay away from my cars limits because they are (way) beyond my own. I now just enjoy leisurely laps.
__________________
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:41   #23
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
You are right...

When I crashed my car at the Nurburgring it never stopped me going back and doing laps. I did learn to stay away from my cars limits because they are (way) beyond my own. I now just enjoy leisurely laps.
Good.

My work here is done...... Time for fish and chips.
Keep us informed of the progress. A few boring weeks and you will be back. Its not going to be like it was before but it will work....... and thats all you need.

Lotsa luck.

Oh.. and if you do decide to wimp out on sailing....... Ill give you $100 for the boat

Take care my friend.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:59   #24
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Use it as a lesson. Carefully placed footsteps and mindfullness are part of the game. It comes like the built in fear of a bad step navigating a dock i have. Its almost like a phobia of mine. Ive fell through an old docks, walked off a dock while drunk sending a text once. After those two episodes it sunk in. It only takes one hurried step to conceivably end your life. What liveaboard marina doesnt have a story or two or three about the resident found face down in the water. The boat is even less friendly to badly placed steps. If your not kicking a cleat with a bare toe your falling through an open hatch. Fear of the bad step is a good thing.
__________________
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 09:08   #25
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Use it as a lesson. Carefully placed footsteps and mindfullness are part of the game. It comes like the built in fear of a bad step navigating a dock i have. Its almost like a phobia of mine. Ive fell through an old docks, walked off a dock while drunk sending a text once. After those two episodes it sunk in. It only takes one hurried step to conceivably end your life. What liveaboard marina doesnt have a story or two or three about the resident found face down in the water. The boat is even less friendly to badly placed steps. If your not kicking a cleat with a bare toe your falling through an open hatch. Fear of the bad step is a good thing.
Fell through an open hatch 2 summers ago. At the dock. Second day into a yachting vacation. Laid in the bunk for three days before giving up and going home. No pain meds except aspirin. Was in a somewhat remote place. Three broken ribs and the usual readjustment of near by soft tissue.

I could not imagine dealing with that injury off-shore. Totally debilitating.
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 09:20   #26
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,593
Re: Sailing trip from hell

One other thing I would highly suggest is to take a wilderness first aid course. It may be hard to find one but it would be highly advantageous for accidents on the water. Essentially it is a MacGyver style first aid course. It teaches you how to treat major and minor injuries when you don't have advanced medical supplies. It is focused for use when hiking but can easily be applied to sailing. It really helps you think outside the box and teaches you how you can treat injuries with common products you would have on board.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 09:27   #27
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,231
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Are there things you could do in the future to mitigate this from happening again? For example, did you have a hand on the boat when you fell? Could you use a backpack instead of a duffle? The reason I suggest this is because I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, and I single hand, so doing something without thinking it through has consequences, and bad things can create a cascading effect. As to your question, it might be good to learn offshore first aid and then literally think through each step you make. Caution is good, but having a "fear monkey" on your back could be a real problem.
__________________
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 09:41   #28
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Are there things you could do in the future to mitigate this from happening again? For example, did you have a hand on the boat when you fell?
It's all a blur now. I don't even know which foot tripped and on what or in which hand I was carrying the bag.

I suspect that I was tripped up by the line holding the fender at the stern. I was very aware that it was in the way and was conscious of it the first time I got onboard. Normally I rig it up in the same way when I come into the marina but reroute it once moored.

Now that I think about it, one of the guys working on the boat asked if I wanted a hand with the bags. I said "no, I'll be right"
__________________
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 09:44   #29
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,389
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Sorry to hear, hope you mend well and fast. I broke my leg skiing in Jan 2009 and the plate they put in my leg broke (!) in August requiring a second surgery (left femur).

Both my doctor and the PT guys said boating is the best thing for recovery for your muscles.

Best advice I ever got.

I have always been a one hand for yourself one hand for the boat guy 'cuz I do a lot of singlehanding.

Still do, don't let it freak you out, with the advice given here, just be prepared.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 09:49   #30
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,140
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Sailing trip from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sorry to hear, hope you mend well and fast. I broke my leg skiing in Jan 2009 and the plate they put in my leg broke (!) in August requiring a second surgery (left femur).

Both my doctor and the PT guys said boating is the best thing for recovery for your muscles.

Best advice I ever got.

I have always been a one hand for yourself one hand for the boat guy 'cuz I do a lot of singlehanding.

Still do, don't let it freak you out, with the advice given here, just be prepared.
Broke?
wow..... should've used that made in Sheffield England metal. Nothing breaks that..
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail, sailing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Hell with it, I'm Going Sailing - Hi to All Mr B Meets & Greets 6 19-09-2011 16:03
Navigating 'Hell Gate' NY Heron Navigation 36 15-01-2011 07:03
Not dead, just in boat buying hell. MarkJ Off Topic Forum 25 25-04-2008 06:12
How to stay out of maintenance hell. kennykroot Construction, Maintenance & Refit 52 29-06-2007 18:53
How to stay out of maintenance hell, Reloaded kennykroot Construction, Maintenance & Refit 15 27-06-2007 11:19



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.