Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2014, 06:50   #1

Sailing Trip from Hell

I came down to my yacht in Corfu on Wednesday with the plan to do some work on the boat fitting my winter equipment purchases and then spend a couple of days sailing solo. It was my first visit to Jessabbé since October and it is the longest I have been away from her.

I arrived on the boat and a couple of guys were onboard finishing off the work of fixing the roller furling (roller unit had damaged the forestay which was just replaced)

I went onboard and had a quick chat with the guys before doing back on the dock to get my bags.

As I stepped back into the cockpit with one bag I tripped and landed badly damaging my knee. It seems I have a fractured patella. Now I am in hospital waiting for my insurance company to arrange a flight home

It does make me wonder how I could have dealt with a fall when out on the water alone. I am now a little worried that I will lose confidence about the soloing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10155318_10152029583641074_3622024639134168292_n.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	79506   Click image for larger version

Name:	1606885_10152029583701074_7178173008407171397_n.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	79507  

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 06:57   #2

Re: Sailing trip from hell

That that was crappy luck, **** happens I guess, get over it and move on!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 06:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I wish you all the best in your recovery. It really wasn't a sailing trip from hell but a careless step that caused your injury. Get well, follow the doctor's and physiotherapist's advice and you should be right again.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:00   #4

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

That's always a risk you'll take out there alone. Let me ask you this though. With your fractured patella could you have crawled to the radio or other distress aids? I know pain can be excrutaiting but if you have as in life your death you're probably capable of more than you think.

Sorry for your misadventures, missing out on sailing is never any fun .

I fell on my boat a couple years ago while on the hard. I was VERY lucky I didn't fall to the ground. I had one foot on my boat and another on the neighbors litterally 8inches from my boat. I was refinishing and sanding my toerails. I stubbed/broke my toe on a deck fitting on their boat as I was paying attention to my sanding and not looking where I was stepping. I stubbed my toe and then my foot slid off their boat. I fell full force onto the thin 1-1/2inch high toe rail with my right butt cheek! My once beautiful arse hasn't been the same since. It took over 8months for the bruising to go away. It's been 3 years and I still have a lump now mishaping my once flawless behind!
Old 17-04-2014, 07:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I came down to my yacht in Corfu on Wednesday with the plan to do some work on the boat fitting my winter equipment purchases and then spend a couple of days sailing solo. It was my first visit to Jessabbé since October and it is the longest I have been away from her.

I arrived on the boat and a couple of guys were onboard finishing off the work of fixing the roller furling (roller unit had damaged the forestay which was just replaced)

I went onboard and had a quick chat with the guys before doing back on the dock to get my bags.

As I stepped back into the cockpit with one bag I tripped and landed badly damaging my knee. It seems I have a fractured patella. Now I am in hospital waiting for my insurance company to arrange a flight home

It does make me wonder how I could have dealt with a fall when out on the water alone. I am now a little worried that I will lose confidence about the soloing
Well.. at least you have the right name for the problem

Why worry... you were not worried when you banged your knee and it happened anyway.

Do NOT EVER borrow trouble. **** happens. Just get better, keep positive and get back to your boat.

It will be fine.

Gary. M.D., D.O. a member of life.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
That that was crappy luck, **** happens I guess, get over it and move on!
I should mention that my fear for the future confidence come from already having f@cked up knees because of a life time of arthritis which limits my knee movements.

So I have always had to be extra cautious and wondered what would happen if I had such a fall. I suspect that most people would have walked away from this fall.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:04   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

You have to be prepared to be your own rescue force. I used to be a back country guide and one thing we always prepared for and taught others was there is no 911 in the back country. You have to be 100% self sufficient until advanced care can be reached. Unfortunately there is no sugary fun answer. Bad things can happen and if they do you have to either be ready to handle them or except the fact that you may be thrust into a survival situation very quickly. All I can say is be prepared for ANYTHING and be careful.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:04   #8

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I guess I have to address the elephant in the room. Your forum name is perfect.

Get well soon,

Goat

Damn you weavis, you're fast.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Do NOT EVER borrow trouble. **** happens. Just get better, keep positive and get back to your boat.
Hopefully as an Aussie I will just follow my favourite motto "She'll be right mate"

I hope....
Old 17-04-2014, 07:05   #10

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Sheesh! And it all started out to be a glorious day at the boat. Sorry about your fall and injury. Did you ask them to turn on the siren while you were in the ambulance? Sorry but just couldn't help that cause I remember my ride when I dislocated my knee when I was a twelve year old kid and I asked them to hit the siren and they did for a short ten seconds. Stockholm, Greece, and Australia. Wow. My home is in Ohio and my boat is slipped on Whidbey Island. I thought I had it bad. I guess the best way to look at it is "stuff" happens. What are the odds of that exact thing happening again. I solo about ninety percent of the time on waters that are usually around forty seven degrees farenheit. I'm a hair past seventy years of age. What could happen ? Have faith, courage and get well soon!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I guess I have to address the elephant in the room. Your forum name is perfect.

Get well soon,

Goat
LOL
Old 17-04-2014, 07:07   #12

Well Hoppy you can't undo anything so do everything you can to get better and don't sit around too long. Get to the gym with someone that knows the proper exercises and read lots of positive stuff...sometimes even this forum. You'll be back!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hopefully as an Aussie I will just follow my favourite motto "She'll be right mate"

I hope....
Dont hope.
MAKE it happen. Your a sailor right? In full knowledge of your restrictions?

It had to go wrong sometime........ so it has. Now get better, get back on board and send us reports when you can.

Ha! We can do anything..... I really know that to be true.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
Stockholm, Greece, and Australia. Wow. My home is in Ohio and my boat is slipped on Whidbey Island. I thought I had it bad.
It would have been more convenient to fall at home than take 3 flights, 1 hotel room and then do it before I even got into the cabin.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:10   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It would have been more convenient to fall at home than take 3 flights, 1 hotel room and then do it before I even got into the cabin.
That would have been the wimps way........

Tags
sail, sailing