Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 20:11   #1

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I
Really Cool Plane -

So I decide to head out and get some single hand experience out along the coast this afternoon. Nothing that has not been done before by many folk, and nothing exciting happened on on the boat really.

I am on a southbound leg when I hear a plane flying toward me. Again, nothing special...unit it passes about 50' above me. A shiny P-51 Mustang moving along at a few hundred knots before doing a roll about a quarter mile away. He made a second pass of my boat, like a bombing run and then sped off south from whence he came.

That is one incredible airplane!
Old 07-06-2014, 20:34   #2

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: Really cool plane -

FAR 91.119 prohibits flying over any vessel at less than 500 feet altitude.
I usually write down their tail number and call the nearest flight standards district office.
They used to buzz all the houses on the coast where I lived. Not cool.
Old 07-06-2014, 20:45   #3

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

It was going a bit too quick to get any tail numbers. There is a floor for aerobatics as well, though I am not sure the exact altitude. I would think it to be the only P-51 in the area right now, so it would not be hard to locate.
Old 07-06-2014, 20:49   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

I once buzzed a sailboat at less than mast height off San Francisco a couple of miles out from the bridge. I was not in a P-51 but it was pretty cool for both of us. The guy at the wheel's expression was total surprise.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 20:52   #5

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Flying over a populated area is minimum 1000 feet. Your boat would be considered a populated area.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 21:06   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebound View Post
Flying over a populated area is minimum 1000 feet. Your boat would be considered a populated area.
You must be from Australia, it's 500' for a populated area in the US. I have always treated one guy standing in a field fair game for a buzz job as I don't see one guy 2 miles from town as being in a populated area.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 21:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You must be from Australia, it's 500' for a populated area in the US. I have always treated one guy standing in a field fair game for a buzz job as I don't see one guy 2 miles from town as being in a populated area.

500 feet is not mast height. What I checked was FAA rules-google minimum height flying over popuated area. I have come from a forum where I hammered pilots day and night for things like you did. Some get it, some don't, and some die.
Old 07-06-2014, 21:29   #8

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
So I decide to head out and get some single hand experience out along the coast this afternoon. Nothing that has not been done before by many folk, and nothing exciting happened on on the boat really.

I am on a southbound leg when I hear a plane flying toward me. Again, nothing special...unit it passes about 50' above me. A shiny P-51 Mustang moving along at a few hundred knots before doing a roll about a quarter mile away. He made a second pass of my boat, like a bombing run and then sped off south from whence he came.

That is one incredible airplane!
I agree, I wish I could have seen it. yes FAR 91.119 states he should not have been closer than 500' to any person, vehicle or structure. He's welcome to fly over me any altitude he feels fit. It's a P51!!

Calling in the tail numbers? Pfft. I'll leave the sky policing to the FAA as it should be.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 21:32   #9

And I came here to get away from idiot pilots
Old 07-06-2014, 21:38   #10

Boat: Skookum 53'

I love P-51s. Funny that, a lot of pilots also sail.
Old 07-06-2014, 21:43   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Used to do it a lot when flying flying for U Sam's Navy. Not quite as romantic as a p51 but an A-3 made a lot more noise and snuck up faster on the unsuspecting boats. Once did an exercise with the Canadiens off BC. Whatever equipment they were testing wasn't working properly so we'd just get on station at about the Alaska border and they'd cancel our services. 5 days in the PNW in the middle of February and not a cloud in the sky. Some pf the best flying I ever had low leveling it down the inland passage back to Whidbey NAS. It was so great seriously thought about moving to the PNW. Glad the idea that the sun usually doesn't shine there from October till May was brutally brought home to me in a later stay there.

Still get a thrill the times I've been buzzed and watching the Blue Angels when sailing SF Bay. And some people get upset by clanging halyards.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 22:20   #12

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

I always feel like this kid when I see a Mustang

I watched one start up at KRNM one day in person up close. Great sound. Nearby was an F4U Corsair that had just been taken up by a pilot who had flown it in WWII in the Pacific. It was not modified and still single seat. Apparently the insurance said they would not cover the plane if the pilot flew it due to his age. The owner took a chance and let him fly. I guess it all came back quickly and he had a great flight.
Anyone who's flown a fighter has my respect and admiration. Thank you for your service.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:36   #13

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Iam NOT going to confess any of my doings with aircrafts when I was young & bullet proof!!!
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:38   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Years ago, going down the ICW in North Carolina, a Jet fighter, an F-something, with a split rudder, came down the ditch really low. It was early morning, and let's say, I launched the coffee mug in my hand, because you don't hear it coming, only hear it as it passes by. It was great, and I was envious.

Why has this forum become so critical of everything?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Many years ago when I was gliding I could only swoop over unsuspecting people on mountain ridges, as landing was otherwise inevitable at low heights. I was young and foolish, but it was a hell of a lot of fun .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote