Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 11:39   #16
cruiser

Re: Question on boat suitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaubera View Post
JWhich leads me to Chechako, I want to sail, but any thing worth doing is worth doing with some flair and pizazz. Paris Hilton likes to get drunk, but she likes it better when everyone is watching her do it. I am that way too.

And Smackdaddy, that is a good catch. I should have capitalized Hagar. The rule is always capitalize proper names and comic book characters right? lmfao. Actually, that does bring up a question. I always capitalize the first letter of usernames as well, however sometimes people have specific capitalization within the name: all lowercase, all upercase, leet speak style, etc. etc. What is the correct way to handle that?

Thanks again to everyone. You are definitely giving me a lot to think about. When I first posted, I was afraid people would tell me I was crazy and not to do it. It seems like what I am hearing is mostly cautious support. I can do it, and the boat should be perfect for what I need, except that it may need a bit of work (which I am totally ok with). Please keep the advice flowing, this is a major life decision for me, and I don't want to screw it up.
Dude you ARE crazy for even being remotely interested in that nightmare! Heh-heh. But what a story! Just take pics as you go - and start a b-log. And what boat doesn't need a little maintenance right? So I guess we're all crazy.

As for the capitalisatoin issue usernames are not Proper Nouns - so don't sweat it. Just make sure to always capitalize the names of dudes who carry axes. On the other hand, you should at least spell the Usernames rightly. You left out an "e" in cheech's name.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 12:05   #17

Boat: C & C 27 Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse_4x4 View Post
lol. box car ftw.
LOL!!! Grate boate nane tho
NACRADUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:23   #18

Quote:
How much would it be to replace the engines if they really are shot?
What do mean, IF? It says right there that the engines ARE shot. No good. Have to be replaced. Did you really not see that?

Quote:
What about using a couple outboards instead?
How are you going to mount outboards on that thing? And whether or not two 50hp outboards can move it in and out of the harbor will depend on the harbor, and whether or not you are willing to wait it out for the right tidal stage. Do you know anything about tides and harbor entrances?

Quote:
And the rest of the time, I would just be sailing. I just bought a book by Lin and Larry Pardey and they did not have any motor at all...
No, but they had a sailboat that had a modern, efficient rig and they are expert sailors. That boat is going to need to motor A LOT! It is not going to sail very well at all.

Quote:
Maytrix, I did see that it may need some sprucing up...
MAY NEED SOME SPRUCING UP!?! Are you kidding? Did you not even read the ad? It says the boat needs MAJOR WORK! Did you look at the pictures? This is a project. It is going to need major work before you can even think about living on it.

I really am not trying to burst your bubble. If this is something that you really want to do, fine. Do it. But do it with your eyes open. Don't kid yourself into thinking this is going to be anything less than what it is, which is a huge amount of time, effort, and expense.

To be honest, at this point you sound like someone who has fallen in love with a dream, and has completely lost touch with reality as a result. You seem to be seeing what you want to see in that ad, instead of what is actually there. The choice is yours, but I wouldn't pay a penny for that thing--they'd have to pay me to take it off of their hands.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:33   #19
cruiser

Yeah but just look at this baby! How could you not want to pimp around in this ride???? And it's got to have a next-to-nothing draft without a proper keel so a couple a fittys on the back and tides mean nothing!

Fix this baby up and all the old chicks would think you'd sailed right out of an Old Spice commercial and were they're to sweep them off there rhumatoid-ridden feet!

Go the Viking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viking.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	38663  
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:43   #20

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

You're going to read into comments what you want to hear, so you're not going to listen anyway.

You're not getting "cautious support" here. You're failing to read the sarcasm because most probably think this is a troll post. You said in your OP:

Quote:
I have a few bucks saved up, so I am not looking for some salvage job of a boat to take off in (I am not nuts)
This is not the boat for you. That isn't the boat for anyone! They should be paying someone to haul it off. It's a wreck that probably isn't salvageable.

But, like I said...you're not gonna listen. You've got stars in your eyes clouding the harsh reality of a shattered dream and squandered bank account....and taking possession of a vessel that will need to be completely, fully rebuilt....taking years and probably hundreds of thousands of $$$.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:45   #21

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Magna-the first hint should have been that it was donated, that would means the owner was unable to sell it or give it away. it is 40 years old and obviously has not been taken care of. As someone who used to rehab wooden motoryachts many years ago, I can list all the areas you are going to become familar with. All wooden ribs, probably sawn rather than bent, you have to check the full length of each one for rot/worms, then replace or sister all those needing it. Check the keel and keelson for the same thing. What kind of fasterners on the planking? i refastened a 65' Trumpy once, and it had approximately 26,000 monel screws. Each one had to be pulled, holes epoxied and the replaced. Also, the planking on that it a bit complex with the bend in the hull as well as the upward curve from midships to the bow. Do you know how to steam planks to bend them? Can you plane the compund angle on the plank edge? That boat is more than just a little bit of cosmetic work and cleaning up. What is the interior? It does not look like it has uch in the way of accomodations. You asked about the diesels? 2 John Deeres, around 175 hp each with transmissions, maybe $60-70k installed? You could easily spend $235-300k on that thing and still not make Eric the Red jealous!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:02   #22

You know, the really sad thing about this is that the ad is completely upfront about what bad shape the boat is in, and how much work is going to be required to make it useful. Yet magnaubera is completely blind to all of that.

Either that, or he really is just a troll.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
You know, the really sad thing about this is that the ad is completely upfront about what bad shape the boat is in, and how much work is going to be required to make it useful. Yet magnaubera is completely blind to all of that.

Either that, or he really is just a troll.
I'm betting Troll.

I feel bad for the charity. If this wreck was donated to them and they took ownership...oh man...that's the sort of thing that could devastate them financially. Someone had no clue, even as the "Donor" walked away laughing.
Old 13-03-2012, 14:24   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
I have a few bucks saved up, so I am not looking for some salvage job of a boat to take off in (I am not nuts),
If you truly want advice, read what you wrote yourself. Then read what the donor said

"This boat will need major work and much effort to move so please do not bid if you can’t manage this project."

It then states it needs to be moved soon after auction closes. See above again - MUCH effort to move.. $$$

The attachment is how it looks today.

So, if you do bid on this, you are nuts. I can only imagine those that are saying go for it are just looking at the very first photo (which was probably from YEARS ago). To get it looking like that again will be a lot of work.

And even if you do, how good will it be to live on this boat? Might be doable, but getting it in sailing condition is one BIG cost, making it livable probably adds to that quite a bit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqF,!hME9ELeOV1dBP(qUMKcOw~~60_12.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	38670  
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:43   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Smack, you are always a riot.

It looks a teeny bit like a turd. Even dry turds don't smell much. Maybe that is it.

I vote troll though.

LOL
Old 13-03-2012, 14:51   #26

This is why I came here to ask advice. Maybe I am a little thick headed at times, and so it takes a while to sink in. I don't want to end up shipwrecked on a beach like that dummy in the hurricane last year, having to watch my dreams broken up with nothing left but a crazy girlfriend and a cat. Maybe I started this thread off wrong, and should have had more of an open mind from the beginning. I think you all know what I am looking to do, right? So if you were me what would you do? What kind of boat should I buy?
magnaubera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah but just look at this baby! How could you not want to pimp around in this ride???? And it's got to have a next-to-nothing draft without a proper keel so a couple a fittys on the back and tides mean nothing!

Fix this baby up and all the old chicks would think you'd sailed right out of an Old Spice commercial and were they're to sweep them off there rhumatoid-ridden feet!

Go the Viking!
don't knock old chicks they are a heck of a lot easier to catch when they are trying to run away
Old 13-03-2012, 14:59   #28

Glad to hear it!

Okay...now that you're walking away from that horror....

It depends on how much you have to spend, what you can live with, and what you can live without.

Asking how small or how cheap can I get a boat to sail around the world safely on will generate 20 pages of argument. Sure, a highly experienced and accomplished sailor who can live on a shoestring and is comfortable in cramped quarters....will get by on a small, inexpensive boats.

You could start walking the marina's....looking at boats....finding someone to go sailing with....try to learn and decide what you need and what you can be comfortable on. Only you can do this. We're all different.

Only then, when you have an idea of what you need and want, can you begin to think financially.
Old 13-03-2012, 15:20   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Glad to hear it!

Okay...now that you're walking away from that horror....

It depends on how much you have to spend, what you can live with, and what you can live without.

Asking how small or how cheap can I get a boat to sail around the world safely on will generate 20 pages of argument. Sure, a highly experienced and accomplished sailor who can live on a shoestring and is comfortable in cramped quarters....will get by on a small, inexpensive boats.

You could start walking the marina's....looking at boats....finding someone to go sailing with....try to learn and decide what you need and what you can be comfortable on. Only you can do this. We're all different.

Only then, when you have an idea of what you need and want, can you begin to think financially.
Just herd back from the seller and even they agreed with you, so I guess it is unanimous (except for smackdaddy) that it was a bad idea. I am going to take your advice and drive to the shore and look at some boats. I don't need a big boat, but I would like one with some style. So many boats seem to look exactly alike. Of course, I want to be able to stand up inside of it, and it needs a kitchen and bathroom with a shower. I figure flat panel tvs make fitting that luxury into any boat a snap. I definitely want a GPS so I don't get lost.

So my needs are pretty simple. I am not too worried about experience, since I will stay mostly around florida or the bahamas until I get really good, and only then will I start looking at exploring further destinations.

Any suggestions on what boats to start looking at or what marinas to walk around (I am closest to NJ or Philadelphia). Are there any boats to immediately cross off the list?
Old 13-03-2012, 15:29   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Budget is really the first big question - How much are you looking to spend? How much can afford between purchase price and what you might need to put into it?

And many boats do look similar, but that doesn't mean you can't make yours unique.

What you need is a solid cruising boat. How big or how small really depends on your needs. Do you want 2 cabins? 1 head? More? Best way to start is to think about what you need and then start looking to see what fits that.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote