Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 15:45   #31
cruiser

Re: Question on boat suitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaubera View Post
...with nothing left but a crazy girlfriend and a cat.
Actually, the girlfriend and cat hit the road too. Tough times.

I'm sad you gave up the dream so easily. For only a grand or so (no way they're getting 5K) a borrowed outboard, and a can of gas, you could score one last joy ride out into the channel while standing naked at the bow in a viking helmet with the whole thing going up in flames behind you. Freakin' epic!!!!! And it would be TAX DEDUCTIBLE!!! (Just make sure you buy some liability insurance so you don't have to worry about the clean-up costs).

That would make the news FOR SURE.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 16:08   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Budget is really the first big question - How much are you looking to spend? How much can afford between purchase price and what you might need to put into it?

And many boats do look similar, but that doesn't mean you can't make yours unique.

What you need is a solid cruising boat. How big or how small really depends on your needs. Do you want 2 cabins? 1 head? More? Best way to start is to think about what you need and then start looking to see what fits that.
If I sell everything I should have around $150000, but that has to buy me food and booze for the rest of my life too (unless I can get some work while I voyage). I don't know how much it will cost for my food and booze budget while at sea, so I am not really sure how much to spend on the boat. That is probably one more reason I really liked the first boat (you know, bang for the buck and all).

I don't have family so I don't need more than one cabin, but I do like to entertain the ladies when I catch one, so a good sized bed is important.
magnaubera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 16:12   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Actually, the girlfriend and cat hit the road too. Tough times.

I'm sad you gave up the dream so easily. For only a grand or so (no way they're getting 5K) a borrowed outboard, and a can of gas, you could score one last joy ride out into the channel while standing naked at the bow in a viking helmet with the whole thing going up in flames behind you. Freakin' epic!!!!! And it would be TAX DEDUCTIBLE!!! (Just make sure you buy some liability insurance so you don't have to worry about the clean-up costs).

That would make the news FOR SURE.
aaah, smackdaddy you are a card. I have not given up the dream, just updating it. I will call this next version iDream 2.0

PS, If I was naked on the bow it would have been beyond epic, but I said I liked attention like Paris Hilton not Lindsay Lohan.
Old 13-03-2012, 16:31   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaubera View Post
If I sell everything I should have around $150000, but that has to buy me food and booze for the rest of my life too (unless I can get some work while I voyage).
Then the big question is, how old are you now?

These days, I wouldn't see $150k as a lot of money to retire on. If you make no additional money, and got a boat you could live on for free and spent 1k a month, that would only get you 12.5 years.

I do think it would be hard for you to not earn some money though along the way.

This is a big concern for my wife though. She wants to make sure that when we are ready to cruise we are secured in funds as we do want to be able to retire fully at some point with no concern for having to work again. Probably one reason we'll try a couple of years to see how it goes.

I'm sure those that have done it though can probably provide better info
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 16:58   #35

Boat: O'Day 28

it's always nice to see a newbie check the archives before posting a question like this. I think you might be happier with Perez Hilton.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:31   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
it's always nice to see a newbie check the archives before posting a question like this. I think you might be happier with Perez Hilton.
There are archives that deal with purchasing decrepit Viking boats?
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:40   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaubera
<snip> so I am not looking for some salvage job of a boat to take off in (I am not nuts)<snip>

60ft Viking Ship replica Buit in Norway 60ft Viking Ship replica Buit in Norway - eBay item number 130664106400

So what can the experts here advise me on in regards to this craft, will it do what I want? Sail the seven seas, and find adventure (while hopefully keeping me fairly safe)?

Thanks in advance for the help I am about to receive.
sorry to disappoint but clearly you are nuts, so welcome to sailing...

Start with your 150k retirement egg. Stand in a cold shower and invest 5 grand tearing up $100 dollar bills. See how much adventurous fun that is.

Then decide if you want to spend the next $145k making this boat seaworthy. Or simply paying its dock fees.

There are many classic boats tied to docks. Usually there is some historical society trying to pay its bills. Most often there are a few really romantic people involved who aree convinced the boat needs to be saved and give demo rides around the bay. I am all for that and I would love to see it happen more. The reality is not enough people care, donations can't be had and the boat tries to get passed to the next romantic soul who will pay dock fees for ten years trrying to scrape up cash.

Sad but true...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:40   #38

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

How tall are you? I'm 6'3, so to get standing headroom for me, I'm usually looking at a 36' boat or larger. If you're a short dude at 5 foot there will be a ton of boats with standing headroom for you. Showers are usually found on boats in the 30 foot plus club, but that's not always true.

$150 grand can be a very doable budget! You're not going to cruise the world on a Beneteau Oceanis eating lobster though....but....you could find a really nice Catalina 30 in super shape for $30k or less....not really a "world" cruiser but certainly capable of coastal cruising all over the place and hopping over to the Bahamas. It should come with decent electronics at that price...

There should be quite a good selection of boats at the $50k price, or less but spending up to that mark to make them ready....leaving you with $100k in the bank to be frugal with and cover any unforeseen repairs. Just don't expect something newish or in spectacular shape....but there are good, solid cruisers out there for that price.

Keep this in mind...for every two feet in length, the costs multiply exponentially! For example....I have a Catalina 25...I can get a new mainsail for $800 and a new Genny for $900...maybe even $1500 or less for both as a package deal.....but try to get new sails on a Catalina 30 and we're now talking $3500+....have a 42' boat? OMG...what, $10k for new sails? With sailboats, just going a little bigger makes the costs go through the roof!
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:41   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Then the big question is, how old are you now?

These days, I wouldn't see $150k as a lot of money to retire on. If you make no additional money, and got a boat you could live on for free and spent 1k a month, that would only get you 12.5 years.

I do think it would be hard for you to not earn some money though along the way.

This is a big concern for my wife though. She wants to make sure that when we are ready to cruise we are secured in funds as we do want to be able to retire fully at some point with no concern for having to work again. Probably one reason we'll try a couple of years to see how it goes.

I'm sure those that have done it though can probably provide better info
55 now. someday I should get SS, but with things now a days who knows.
Old 13-03-2012, 17:43   #40

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
...one last joy ride out into the channel while standing naked at the bow in a viking helmet with the whole thing going up in flames behind you. ...
I could seriously pay a grand to do this......
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:44   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Sorry Mrs Roosevelt, I did not see anything there. And while I pass no judgement on your well known proclivities, I should let you know that I am a man who enjoys the company of women, preferably ones that don't mind my company, but that is never a deal breaker if the price is right.
Old 13-03-2012, 17:48   #42

Boat: hunter 376

Been there, done that. Inherited a 90' long wood fish packer boat many years ago, leaked like a seive, rotten, engine rusted out, sold it for $5000 after a survey, it sunk at the dock a year later taking other boats and dock pilings with it, after the new owner put $$$$into fixing it up. go with steel, FG, or even cement, leave the old rotten woodies alone.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:51   #43

Boat: PETERSON 44
The boat won't do what you asked. Now were looking cheap and capable. I'm thinking alberg 35 or something . These with some good rigging and care will take more then you can. given your prior choice maybe a realistic starting point. If someone wants to pay a grand to wear a helmet and bark at the moon from my bow send me a pm.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 17:51   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
How tall are you? I'm 6'3, so to get standing headroom for me, I'm usually looking at a 36' boat or larger. If you're a short dude at 5 foot there will be a ton of boats with standing headroom for you. Showers are usually found on boats in the 30 foot plus club, but that's not always true.

$150 grand can be a very doable budget! You're not going to cruise the world on a Beneteau Oceanis eating lobster though....but....you could find a really nice Catalina 30 in super shape for $30k or less....not really a "world" cruiser but certainly capable of coastal cruising all over the place and hopping over to the Bahamas. It should come with decent electronics at that price...

There should be quite a good selection of boats at the $50k price, or less but spending up to that mark to make them ready....leaving you with $100k in the bank to be frugal with and cover any unforeseen repairs. Just don't expect something newish or in spectacular shape....but there are good, solid cruisers out there for that price.

Keep this in mind...for every two feet in length, the costs multiply exponentially! For example....I have a Catalina 25...I can get a new mainsail for $800 and a new Genny for $900...maybe even $1500 or less for both as a package deal.....but try to get new sails on a Catalina 30 and we're now talking $3500+....have a 42' boat? OMG...what, $10k for new sails? With sailboats, just going a little bigger makes the costs go through the roof!
I am 5'5", so it seems I have found a hidden benefit to being height challenged. There is a lot to digest in your post, but it seems like you are saying to buy a small boat not a big boat. I guess that makes sense, but how small is too small and how big is too big?
Old 13-03-2012, 17:57   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Been there, done that. Inherited a 90' long wood fish packer boat many years ago, leaked like a seive, rotten, engine rusted out, sold it for $5000 after a survey, it sunk at the dock a year later taking other boats and dock pilings with it, after the new owner put $$$$into fixing it up. go with steel, FG, or even cement, leave the old rotten woodies alone.
this is the type of info I really need. I am keeping a running list of tips. so far I have:

1) walk the docs to see what looks cool
2) smaller is better than bigger
3) wood boats suck (or sink)
4) you can't use big outboards on big sailboats
5) to sail without a motor you need a performance boat like Lin and Larry Pardey have

I am going to try to get to the docks tomorrow, although I still don't know what are the best ones to go to in NJ.