Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 04:45   #1

Passport stamps

When you board a large cruising ship, do you go through immigration, and leave the country (that is: do you get a stamp into your passport, declaring that you have left the country, similarly to what you get juts before getting on an international flight)?

Similarly, when you finish cruising, and arrive to your final destination, do you get a stamp (declaring the date of arrival)?

I am planning to go on cruising in Japan. We depart from Yokohama, and return to there. On the way we will visit several Japanese cities, and also Russia for one day. I am not Japanese citizen (so I don't have a Japanese passport), but I am a resident, and have a resident card.

I am asking this, because my contract here in Japan allows me to leave the country for 30 days within one year (otherwise I will get a deduction from my salary), and I wonder whether cruising counts as a leave.

So: do I get stamps or not? What is the rule/custom in general (and especially in Japan)?

Thanks in advance.
FirstSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:50   #2

Boat: 1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig
Passport stamps

Are you talking about a cruise ship as in Carnival, Royal Carribean and the similar?

If so this may not be the right place. This forum is for folks cruising on their own boats/yachts or chartering similar. Being on one of the floating buffet ships isn't really the same.

I can tell you when I've been on cruise ships that I have never had my passport stamped.
Downtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:05   #3

Re: Passport stamps

Oh my, I see. Then this is really an off-topic... Thanks anyways.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Many countries do not stamp your passport when you leave. Some don't even stamp when you enter. It depends on the country you are entering/leaving and what country issued the passport.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:01   #5
cruiser

Nobody stamps passports anymore.

I remember when my first passport had to be renewed because there was no room left for new stamps.

Now, all empty pages no matter where you go!
oceannavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:19   #6

Thanks for all the interesting replies! So it seems that stamping varies from country to country. In Japan -- unfortunately, they do stamp at immigration when I take an international flight, so this might be the case too when I board one of those "floating buffets" : ). I am just unsure since this should be a domestic cruising trip (and disembarking in Russia is optional).

I am surprised by oceannavigator's response. So in general you can take your yacht and go to the wide ocean, and then return without any kind of paperwork? How do you deal with the coastal guard/border patrol? There are really no inspection at all?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:20   #7

Boat: Seadog 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceannavigator View Post
Nobody stamps passports anymore.

I remember when my first passport had to be renewed because there was no room left for new stamps.

Now, all empty pages no matter where you go!
If you need to prove you were out, say for tax reasons, you can ask for a stamp. Most seem happy to oblige.
Captain Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:57   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

a couple of years ago my wife and I went into St. Kitts to hide from high winds for a couple of days. I went to clear in and out at the office in the cruise ship port. There was a honeymooning couple ahead of me in line who came from the cruise ship that was in port and wanted stamps in their passports as souvenirs. The customs guy said no, that he had others to deal with who actually needed them.

In Bermuda last spring one of my crew asked for a souvenir passport stamp on the way out and was also told no.

Other islands stamped the hell out of everything in sight. it seems there is no way to know until you get there
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote