Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 15:50   #1

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Not an April Fools day joke after all.

So yesterday (Apr 1st) I see an article that says a US Navy ship has been stuck in Montreal, due to ice, for the past 3 months. It had just gotten freed and was resuming its maiden voyage to its homeport in Florida. Wife says "it's April Fools day, so not real."
Did a check, and it's true after all: https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.ef93b1837a7f

Global Warming, eh?

The U.S. Navy’s newest warship is stuck in the ice in Montreal - Macleans.ca
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 11:32   #2

Boat: Karnic - SL600
Re: Not an April Fools day joke after all.

Isn't the term "global warming" a general term applied to new extreme weather conditions caused by global warming?
abbeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 12:33   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Y'all do realize that words have meaning?

'Global' does not mean 'the Port of Montreal', nor does it mean 'prudent skipper doesn't want to risk damaging his new half billion dollar toy', though it does make one wonder about the usefulness of a warship that can't operate in the limited ice conditions shown in the satellite pictures below.

The first two are around the end of January, the second two around the end of February. The St Lawrence Seaway looks relatively clear from Montreal (in the lower left hand corner) to the western Gulf of St. Lawrence...if my information is correct, it should have been almost completely frozen at that time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sl1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	168765   Click image for larger version

Name:	a21.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	168766  

Click image for larger version

Name:	aj22.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	168767   Click image for larger version

Name:	aj25.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	168768  

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 13:59   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Guys, its the Navy.

Bear in mind, there is no reason to take everything they say at face value. Maybe the ice is a problem, maybe it ain't. Maybe the ship is simply so old it should have been retired a decade ago, and it was never built for ice.

Remember, these are the same folks who totally fabricated the Gulf of Tonkin Incident and other convenient news. And told us the USS Peublo wasn't a spy ship.

There may be simple reasons that someone wants that ship where it is, or where it will conveniently be when it sallies again. Or it could be simple incompetence, yes. That's been suggested during a number of naval news incidents in the past couple of years too, hasn't it?

I wonder how much the Canadians charge per foot, to berth a warship for monthly berthing? And does that come with fifty amp service and cable tv?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 14:17   #5

Boat: Colegate 26

When I see things like this I also throw out the phrase, "Ha ha, 'global warming!'" just to get people riled up. Sometimes I think you're all bored and need something to argue about. Looks like it's working

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 14:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Guys, its the Navy.

Bear in mind, there is no reason to take everything they say at face value. Maybe the ice is a problem, maybe it ain't. Maybe the ship is simply so old it should have been retired a decade ago, and it was never built for ice.

Remember, these are the same folks who totally fabricated the Gulf of Tonkin Incident and other convenient news. And told us the USS Peublo wasn't a spy ship.

There may be simple reasons that someone wants that ship where it is, or where it will conveniently be when it sallies again. Or it could be simple incompetence, yes. That's been suggested during a number of naval news incidents in the past couple of years too, hasn't it?

I wonder how much the Canadians charge per foot, to berth a warship for monthly berthing? And does that come with fifty amp service and cable tv?
I would have thought the title "The U.S. Navy’s newest warship is stuck in the ice in Montreal - Macleans.ca" would be a big clue.

NEWEST WARSHIP being the operative word there.

Scientists have announced we are in a "global cooling" trend. Do a google search and you'll see a ton of articles on it. Apparently, the sun has an 11 yr solar cycle, and a 230 yr solar cycle. The 230 yr grand solar minimum is just starting.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 15:15   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ah, NEWEST. As usual I missed the fine print.

If it is the NEWEST, well then, hell, you wouldn't want to scratch the paint on a new warship, would you?

What was it, a decade ago that the USN blushed about the way their first Windows-NT networked warship (destroyer?) was adrift somewhere off the midAtlantic for 48hours or something, because the operating system had crashed? Not hard to believe...but also, that's the kind of disinformation that is sometimes really great to put out there, so your enemies will think you're clueless. I think Sun Tzu wrote some of the classic instructions along those lines.

Point being, really, this is where "National Security" really is a valid reason to expect that whatever news is reported, may only be what someone wants to have out there. For better or worse, that's how the game has to be played.

Warming trend, cooling trend, does it really matter? The question is whether mankind will anticipate climate variations and make plans to deal with them, or will ignore them and mainly get clobbered. In which case, the question becomes whether anyone thinks they can save the world, or whether they may just as well plan how to take advantage of the coming changes. Like, selling sand molds to the folks who blithely continue to build sand castles by the sea.

Occam's Razor: Maybe paying Canadian dockage rates is just cheaper than keeping the ship in a USN base, and certainly cheaper than keeping it at sea. Budget keeping, after they've built one too many ships for the moment/budget. (shrug)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 15:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Y'all do realize that words have meaning?
Unfortunately, much of the West is into year 2 of a self-imposed 4 year moratorium on reality, where words have much diminished meaning, science is just another opinion, we have always been at war with Eastasia, up is down, etc.

Anywayyyy... if I was a young and healthy navy person, and my ship was currently docked at Montreal, I'd look for ANY reason to stay there longer.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 03:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, abbeyman.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote