Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 15:58   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Nautical Tattoo Thread

LOL-I tried!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 17:10   #47

Boat: Catalina 380

Always like the idea of getting at tattoo, but still after 47 years on the planet can't seem to get inked. So, instead, I had a friend design a boat logo. Modeled on the Sailor Jerry swallow. Apparently, back in the day, if you had a swallow tattooed on your chest you were a pretty salty sailor. Usually, sailors got a swallow after 5000 miles at sea or rounding a nasty cape, or crossing the equator. Needless to say, the guy with most swallows was the most experienced sailor. Additionally, swallows always return home, it was thought that if you died at sea, the swallows would return your soul to heaven. The 3 nautical stars represent direction, and following one's "true north". We have 3 in our logo which is representative of our 3rd boat.
capacolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 17:52   #48

Boat: Catalina 380

capacolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:44   #49

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by capacolla View Post
Always like the idea of getting at tattoo, but still after 47 years on the planet can't seem to get inked. So, instead, I had a friend design a boat logo. Modeled on the Sailor Jerry swallow. Apparently, back in the day, if you had a swallow tattooed on your chest you were a pretty salty sailor. Usually, sailors got a swallow after 5000 miles at sea or rounding a nasty cape, or crossing the equator. Needless to say, the guy with most swallows was the most experienced sailor. Additionally, swallows always return home, it was thought that if you died at sea, the swallows would return your soul to heaven. The 3 nautical stars represent direction, and following one's "true north". We have 3 in our logo which is representative of our 3rd boat.
Blog de Tatuaje clásico americano (old school) y sus derivaciones

Attached Images

Old 29-04-2012, 02:02   #50

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74

You should do standup comedy. I would never get inked by someone who is not inked. Who are you to say 99% of tats are poorly done or thought out? Oh the guy who a tattoo shop but not a tattoo.
If you watched macdonalds make your hamburger patty you would think differently about eating one.

Contact your local health dept and ask the inspector what tattoo shop he uses or what salid bar he goes to. You will hear him say he passes on both more than likely. Why? It is not attitude, it is intelligence. Can tattoos be done with intelligence? Yes, but you could look a lifetime and not stumble across one in the USA. In India only medical doctors are allowed to tattoo. While that seems extreme, it is a great way to increase the odds people are not getting sick or making foolish choices that are lifelong and regretted.
Old 29-04-2012, 02:29   #51

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

The absolute best guy I found anywhere is in Phuket and has no personal tats. He was a graphic artist for a career, retired and opened up an ink shop. Way cool guy that does amazing work. He has folders and folders of photos of his work.

I asked him why no ink? He doesn't trust anyone to ink him and doing himself is problematic.

Girlfriend brought a picture. Gave it to him. We came back the next day. He had digitized it on the pc. He said it would come out just like on the pc. It did. It was a budda face. The features were perfect.

I've thought long and hard about what I would permanently ink myself with. There are a couple of things that are close but nothing has pushed me over the edge yet...

However if I ever do, this will be the guy.

+1 on don't drink and tat. Also if the guy doesn't have a large potfolio and many testimonials, run very, very fast.
The CDC says hep c is going to be a major issue in the united states in a couple years. In part to choices people make. Would you drink out of a water bottle left sitting on a park bench? Would you let a guy in and out of jail with a zero credit rating, five knocked up girlfriends, parents disowned him years ago, no drivers license from DWIs, every cop in town knows him by his first name and not for a good reason, would you let him open a bottle of ink he has opened hundreds of times before to get tattoo ink to needle into your blood stream?

You answered no to drinking out of a strange open bottle of water I hope. Tattoo ink in most tattoo shops is not regulated by health depts. hep c can live in a tattoo for twenty years before it moves into the bloodstream.

By looking a tattoo artist, you can see if they make good choices for themselves. If he frightens his own grandmother, he should also frighten you. Run don't walk.

If you were filling a prescription and the guy behind the counter was addicted to pills, eating them right and left, would you feel comfortable in that pharmacy?

It is not good enough to look at a portfolio. A portfolio will not keep you from getting sick. Who cares if an artist can draw. Does he open new ink bottles for each color, for each customer? Does he sterilize the tattoo machine between each customer? Just as important as a new needle. Does he use air equipment like your dentist, or electric equipment like a plumber? If he uses electric equipment to tattoo, his machine is as dirty as any tool in a plumbers tool bag. You cannot sterilize electrical equipment. Air tools you can sterilize. The nessasary things to do to make it 100% safe is almost never done at a tattoo studio. The tattoo artist does not even know he should be doing stuff he is not, because the education is not there. Tattoos done outside a studio are even worse.

There are good safe tattoo artists and sounds like you may have found one. They are few and far between. Pretty rare to find a tattoo artist that puts health concerns at a dentist or doctor level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3669508554.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	40540   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-7006354.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	40541  

Old 29-04-2012, 03:39   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
[QUOTE="GaryMayo"]

If you watched macdonalds make your hamburger patty you would think differently about eating one.

/QUOTE]

Actually I have been on the meet plants in Europe that make the, Nothing wrong with them at all ( bit heavy on the salt) yes there some mechanically recovered meat etc, but it's all quite edible. In fact the MCD studff is better then some of th
Old 29-04-2012, 03:40   #53
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Gary you make it sound like anyone with tats is a dirty criminal and could never provide clean sterile service. Your living in a very small sheltered box if you think that your the only guy who runs a clean ship. Your doing a huge diservice to the tattoo community and hurting the industry with your self serving rant. Sounds like your making a living off a scene that you don't respect, and clients you don't like. Not having any tats is rare for quality, respected artists, and certainly nothing for you to bragg about or highlight. You don't love tattoo's, you love the money. Lame.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:00   #54

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post

Contact your local health dept and ask the inspector what tattoo shop he uses or what salid bar he goes to. You will hear him say he passes on both more than likely. Why? It is not attitude, it is intelligence. Can tattoos be done with intelligence? Yes, but you could look a lifetime and not stumble across one in the USA. In India only medical doctors are allowed to tattoo. While that seems extreme, it is a great way to increase the odds people are not getting sick or making foolish choices that are lifelong and regretted.
Do you live in a bubble? One that has filtered air and sanitized food? If not you are making a foolish choice. Life is fatal, eventually everyone dies from it.

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 11:50   #55

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

GaryMayo, you have a lot of pent-up negativity. Maybe you should go for a sail or a hike or something, stop by a cafe and chat with a pretty barista, something like that.
Old 29-04-2012, 15:29   #56

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
GaryMayo, you have a lot of pent-up negativity. Maybe you should go for a sail or a hike or something, stop by a cafe and chat with a pretty barista, something like that.
And don't bother sailing off to a third world country. You'll find they are over populated with all these sick people. :s)

BTW I'm tat free, but do believe in personal freedoms. People by nature are self destructive, too much: drink, smoke, fatty food, sugar, religion/atheism, scratching, picking, over exertion or do nothings. It all accumulates to an earlier death. Everyone has their own poison.

If'n I know'd I'd live this long, I would a taken better care of myself!
Old 29-04-2012, 16:18   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I was gonna type a reply then realized my keyboard is dirty and got scared...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:27   #58

Boat: O'Day 28

I just don't understand the tattoo/piercing thing. And particurly with women and the "tramp stamp" ... worse, women, usually big fat ugly women, with lots of them. And why do blacks bother? Can't see them.

I know several grown-up women who have small tattoos here and there.

Does it enhance your self-image? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:42   #59

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If ya don't like em don't get any !! Simple! Got my first under the Bridge in Brooklyn in 1955 LOL Ive seen them all by now ! have a few but Im not considerd Tatted Out ! Have friends with a ton and some without any ! don't seem to make a big difference in the way they treat me !! LOL Get a life if ya worry about little stuff like this ! ya really need to get a woman maybe ?? LOL Just sayin theres much more important things about folks then the ink on thier bodys !!
Old 29-04-2012, 20:13   #60

Boat: O'Day 28

Tat free women wanted. PM me.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote