Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2013, 21:14   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Marathon Bombers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Yes they can… but realizing that is the beginning of finding solutions.

What I am referring to is teaching what every Israeli citizen has inbred into them after a lifetime of those kinds of terror attacks….
i.e.….The mindset to be more security observant, to recognize and report strange behavior by individuals in crowded areas.

Most experienced cruisers become sensitive to reading crowds and individuals in their travels….
While 9/11 was an uncontrolled event from the air….Boston attack will reinforce that it has now become a prerequisite for every US citizen to be more vigilant at home.
I hope the government actually starts to teach their citizens what to look for… starting with the school kids
Yes. the Israeli model has been running through my head, too.

We do need to be vigilant and observant. We are told all the time to alert authorities to unaccompanied suitcases, backpacks, etc. at the airport. We need to do it everywhere. Not blaming anyone. Of course everyone was watching the race.

But now that we've learned, if every person in the crowd took ten seconds to scan their surroundings every half hour or so -- that would be completely random and end up just about continuous, and ... *maybe* the bombs would have been spotted.

I'm not a security expert. It's just something that occurred to me.
Old 20-04-2013, 02:36   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

I too am curious about the boat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Boston attack will reinforce that it has now become a prerequisite for every US citizen to be more vigilant at home.
I hope the government actually starts to teach their citizens what to look for… starting with the school kids
Given that the people of Boston were reknowned for supporting and funding Terrorism in the UK over many decades and which US officialdom not only turned a blind eye to but also actively encouraged I am pretty sure they do already know what to look for......just need to understand that not everyone who blows the arms and legs off people are nice .
Old 20-04-2013, 03:43   #18

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Given that the people of Boston were reknowned for supporting and funding Terrorism in the UK over many decades and which US officialdom not only turned a blind eye to but also actively encouraged I am pretty sure they do already know what to look for......just need to understand that not everyone who blows the arms and legs off people are nice .
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...
Old 20-04-2013, 03:57   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
One man's freedom fighter is anothers inspiration for an attack on their enemy's financial centre.

What goes around comes around........
Old 20-04-2013, 04:40   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Not all people in Boston, Jersey. Not even all the Irish in Boston. Wonder how we missed that, that people who blow up other people might not be nice.

Two wrongs never made a right, and no side of an issue was either all wrong or all right. In other words, there were English in that awful situation who weren't so nice either. I like what Ghandi said, about a few bits of dirt in the ocean not soiling the entire ocean. No group is perfect, but no group is all evil, either. We over here on the other side of the Big Pond are aware of what you mentioned and take no pride in it.

I personally take GREAT pride in how part of my country came together yesterday and cooperated, en masse, so well with authorities that a man stepping into his back yard, spotted the signs that led to this capture. BOSTON STRONG.
Old 20-04-2013, 04:51   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
However, PIRA decided they wanted to rule with an armalite not a ballot box
Old 20-04-2013, 04:57   #22

Boat: O'Day 28

I'd have felt better if one of the 10,000 LEOs had found bomber #2. He was beyond the police perimeter. The home/boat owner coulda have been dead too. The police caught a big break but few have noticed.
Old 20-04-2013, 04:58   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Let me correct that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Two wrongs never made a right, and no side of an issue was either all wrong or all right. In other words, there were Northern Irish in that awful situation who weren't so nice either. .
Old 20-04-2013, 05:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
However, PIRA decided they wanted to rule with an armalite not a ballot box
If they had just kept their birth rates high, in a generation they could have a solid majority... but that requires patience.

I didn't mean to sound like I supported the SF/IRA. I'm not educated enough on that conflict to support a side, and as it's a domestic UK issue. It would be like someone from the UK weighing in on US internals...
Old 20-04-2013, 05:17   #25

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Marathon Bombers

Quote:
... It would be like someone from the UK weighing in on US internals...
Yeah. We want to avoid that!
Old 20-04-2013, 05:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yeah. We want to avoid that!
Just saying that an American commenting on internal UK issues like Northern Ireland status or the Royals would be like a Brit commenting on the 2nd Amendment or ANWR oil drilling. Or me telling you how to raise your kids - just bad form IMHO...
Old 20-04-2013, 05:29   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It would be like someone from the UK weighing in on US internals...
Refusing to pay taxes to Her Majesty and going to war for independence I can understand although I don't agree with it and its not too late to pay up btw, but having an internal war, that is just barking. The only people who gained were the bankers who pay rolled it. So I won't comment on US internals if you don't mind

Now that this thread as drifted quite a long way, I would like to say thank God its over and these two bad apples have been stopped in their tracks. Does Boston have the death penalty btw?

Pete
Old 20-04-2013, 05:33   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Brit commenting on the 2nd Amendment or ANWR oil drilling. Or me telling you how to raise your kids - just bad form IMHO...
What is the second amendment and who is ANWR? we have British Petroleum, or shouldn't I mention them either
Old 20-04-2013, 05:39   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

amendment number 2 grants usa citizenry the right to arm bears.....err.... bear arms and maintain a militia..was spozedly an inalienable right...lol..seems the colonists needed some kind of protection from outside influences....
Old 20-04-2013, 05:46   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

talk about thread drift

And no Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty.

On boating note I thought I read last night the boat caught on fire. Wonder if the insurance policy had a terrorist clause?