Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2011, 20:18   #121

Re: Looking for Advice on First Large Ship

This is the funniest thread I have read in a long time.
I really don't believe this guy is for real.
It must be a put on.
However, if it's not...
Scoobert I suggest you get whatever boat you want and just fill it up and go. You'll either learn a lot very quickly or die.
Make sure you have a radio to call the Coast Guard.
Do the dogs a favor and leave them behind.
Taking two dogs into the Atlantic in a trawler would be animal cruelty.
Old 15-05-2011, 20:26   #122
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
This is the funniest thread I have read in a long time.
I really don't believe this guy is for real.
It must be a put on.
However, if it's not...
Scoobert I suggest you get whatever boat you want and just fill it up and go. You'll either learn a lot very quickly or die.
Make sure you have a radio to call the Coast Guard.
Do the dogs a favor and leave them behind.
Taking two dogs into the Atlantic in a trawler would be animal cruelty.
so then was that your good advice?
lol, you must be a dock dweller.
Old 15-05-2011, 20:31   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
so then was that your good advice?
lol, you must be a dock dweller.
Hardly, I have been sailing for over 35 years. You got a lot to learn and if you don't learn it first before heading into the Atlantic you'll probably die.
So yes that is my advice.

I think the only trawling your doing is in this thread. Anyone with a modicum of sense could get the answers to many of your questions through Google. Sail across the Atlantic reefed.....power Air Conditioning with Solar panels.....and with multiple monitors and a large screen TV...and I'm sure you want 3D as well. I am amazed at the patience already shown by this good group of people. You sir, are a joke.

Good night all. I can't wait to see where this goes tomorrow.
Old 16-05-2011, 06:01   #124

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

RedCobra, you are saying what most of us are thinking.

This thread started some months ago with an enthusisastic but but very unknowledgeable person asking 'noob' questions. After a while he seemed to come round to the sensible and POTENTIALY LIFE SAVING advise given.

However, Scoobert, you do seem to have done a 'u turn' and still want it all, Large accom similar to that of a condo, No sailing experience so want to motor (round the world!), aware fuel will be a problem so thinks ripping out large engines and putting in 2 small ones will solve this, etc, etc.

All I can say my friend is, GO DO IT. Maybe in a year or two, you'll come back and tell us, A) At what point you went bankrupt, B) When the small engines gave up or you ran out of fuel and C) How long it was before all your expensive computer anf TV equipment got smashed to bits from the relentles pounding of the sea in a trawler yacht built for coastal passages.

Your ambition and enthusiasm is admirable, I just hope it doesn't get you killed. Nuf said.
Old 16-05-2011, 06:04   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post

This thread started some months ago with an enthusisastic but but very unknowledgeable person asking 'noob' questions. After a while he seemed to come round to the sensible and POTENTIALY LIFE SAVING advise given.

However, Scoobert, you do seem to have done a 'u turn' and still want it all, Large accom similar to that of a condo, No sailing experience so want to motor (round the world!), aware fuel will be a problem so thinks ripping out large engines and putting in 2 small ones will solve this, etc, etc.

All I can say my friend is, GO DO IT. Maybe in a year or two, you'll come back and tell us, A) At what point you went bankrupt, B) When the small engines gave up or you ran out of fuel and C) How long it was before all your expensive computer anf TV equipment got smashed to bits from the relentles pounding of the sea in a trawler yacht built for coastal passages.

Your ambition and enthusiasm is admirable, I just hope it doesn't get you killed. Nuf said.
It was thinking about the poor dogs that pushed me over the edge.
Old 16-05-2011, 06:05   #126
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
It was thinking about the poor dogs that pushed me over the edge.
are you aware they still do medical research on dogs?
Old 16-05-2011, 06:33   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
new question.
mono's lean, sailing.
do they lean when they are reefed?
i mean could i do a reefed circumnavigation?
i don't want to be at 15-30 degrees for 35,000 miles....

i am still 4-6 months from my final decision, and i am keeping an open mind.
Monohulls heel a lot when you are hard on the wind -- that is, sailing close to the direction from which the wind is coming. They heel less on other points of sail. If you are circumnavigating you will mostly be in the trade winds and you will be mostly sailing with the wind. Reefing down reduces heeling, and you will do that in appropriate conditions, but you will understand when you start sailing that you will care a lot more about sailing performance then you will care about how much you are heeled.

Catamarans heel almost not at all and certainly are more comfortable in that regard. It's true that life at 20 degrees is inconvenient. If in doubt, just go for a cat. It will be easier for you to get oriented and feel comfortable in a cat, coming from a power boat, than in a mono. A big cat -- 45 to 50 feet -- would be just what you want, I would think.

If you want to cross oceans you will definitely want a "blow boat" of one kind or another, not a big power boat, as many here have told you. It's much more complicated and expensive, and requires a bigger boat, to cross an ocean in a power boat, and it's less comfortable and riskier, unless it's a really large one. That's why hardly anyone crosses oceans in power boats.

You will not want to hug the coast, you will want to follow the trade winds. In a properly prepared and equipped "blow boat" you won't mind being a week or two away from land. In fact it's land which causes most of the trouble -- you will be happy to be far away from it.

Get a copy of Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes" to see the routes cruisers take to do a circumnavigation.
Old 16-05-2011, 09:24   #128

Boat: 48 Californian
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert

are you aware they still do medical research on dogs?
Are you aware when that 12 footer hits you on the beam, knocks you down and breaks your leg they will eat you while waiting to be rescued by those sailors on the freighter.
Cheers (to the dogs)
Old 16-05-2011, 10:15   #129
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post

Don't see why the big deal about crossing the Atlantic on a power boat. My cousin is a professional captain and does it regularly.

Of course it does help if you're on a 200' Feadship.
Old 16-05-2011, 12:40   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II View Post
Are you aware when that 12 footer hits you on the beam, knocks you down and breaks your leg they will eat you while waiting to be rescued by those sailors on the freighter.
Cheers (to the dogs)
I took my two boys (below) for a little ride once. After 20 minutes in a seaway they were so miserable I returned to port. Now when I cruise I put them in a doggy spa for a few weeks or a month or so and when I come back they are happy as little pups can be.
I also realized that if one went overboard in any kind of weather, chances are with the boat pounding up and down that the dog would get clobbered. I also don't believe I am strong enough to lift a large wet dog out of the water, even with a handle on the life jacket. I would have to rig a hoist off the end of one of the the booms.
I don't think big dogs and boats mix so well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fred.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	27451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scooter.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	27452  

Old 16-05-2011, 13:48   #131

You should be able to find a pretty nice Grand Banks trawler for $250k smallish engines. Or go for a Mainship trawler with just one engine for even greater economy.

Cheoy Lee trawlers also have some of the smaller engines you may want ... Some with Ford Lehman 4 cylinders.
Old 16-05-2011, 13:52   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside Bert28 View Post
You should be able to find a pretty nice Grand Banks trawler for $250k smallish engines. Or go for a Mainship trawler with just one engine for even greater economy.

Cheoy Lee trawlers also have some of the smaller engines you may want ... Some with Ford Lehman 4 cylinders.
I don't believe any of these will fullfill the OPs stated plan for motoring around the world which will require range plus reserves for around 3000 nm.
Old 16-05-2011, 14:16   #133
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for Advice on First Large Ship

Buy yourself one of these mate... they're all the rage in the Cat World these days... and you can do all the motoring you want... or if the winds right... sail.. the dogs will love the relative stability and space.....
http://www.bviyachtsales.com/core/li...=bviyachtsales&

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-05-2011, 15:19   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I don't believe any of these will fullfill the OPs stated plan for motoring around the world which will require range plus reserves for around 3000 nm.
I started reading the rest of the thread ... sorry I got dragged in to this.

Definitely recommend getting a motorsailer or just get the trawler with the understanding that cruising the world is an unrealistic goal unless you are into sailing or are seriously rich and want to cross the oceans on a large Ocean Cruiser.

Get a boat to have some fun with and see how far you get ... if you don't like how it's working out, sell it and try something different.

Truth is, whatever you get, it may easily turn out not to be your thing for the long run.
Old 16-05-2011, 15:28   #135
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

what a hoot this thread is , Scoobert, youre just winding us all up arnt you

"not to mention the 500lbs of dog food needed for a year at sea." !!!! I just dont beleive this guy!.

BTW sccobert, diesel is close to 10 dollars a gallon in Europe !...

give us a break man, ...
Dave