Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 09:18   #91

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Re: Looking for Advice on First Large Ship

Here's the one I was interested in but it went to a broker and jumped $20,000. Maybe the contract will be over soon.
Owner is on here.

1992 Solaris Sunstar Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45   #92
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

based on this.
Running Air Conditioners on Inverter Power, Running Air Conditioners, Inverter Power. For People interested in converting to alternative energy sources such as solar, wind, solar power, will find a lot of information and advice.
AC Load
Air conditioners up to about 12,000 BTUs can be run successfully on an inverter. These units require approximately 12 amps AC (1.4kw) when they are running. At start up however, they need up to 5 times as much power for a few seconds to get going. This requires an inverter that
has a high surge rating as well as a fairly robust continuous rating. The Freedom 25 for example has a continuous rating of 2,500 watts and a surge rating about three times that. It can start and run most air conditioners of this size, but a large amount a DC power is required to generate this much AC power.
DC Load
As a rule of thumb, in a 12-volt system it takes 11 amps of DC power to generate 1 amp of AC power. If the process of energy conversion were 100% efficient, the ratio would still be about 10 to 1. Since 12 volts is being stepped up by a factor of 10 to 120 volts, the current ratio is also 10 to 1. But the inverter is about 90% efficient, so that is why the 11 to 1 ratio is used as a guideline.

This means that an air conditioner that draws 12-amps AC from the inverter is causing a 132-amp load on the DC system (12 amps x 11). At this rate, batteries are not going to last very long. For this reason, it is recommended that air conditioners running on inverter power only be used while underway, and a fairly powerful DC generation and storage system needs be provided. When it comes time to stop the engine, its time to shut down the air conditioner, or switch the air conditioner over to another source of AC power i.e.: shorepower or generator.
Most standard engine alternators are rated in the 35 to 65-amp range. This is a "cold" rating however, and when they are at operating temperature, they might produce between 20 to 45 amps. This is obviously not enough to keep up with the air conditioner’s requirements, let alone other DC loads in the system or provide any battery charging. Therefore, a high output alternator should also be part of the system. A high output alternator is usually "hot" rated, so its amperage rating is usually what you can expect from it as long as the RPMs are high enough. You will want one that is large enough to keep up with all of your DC loads, and provide enough excess current to do some significant battery charging too. These units are usually externally regulated, so a good three stage regulator such as an InCharge or Link 2000R is also recommended. Since the battery bank will be called on to source the DC loads during low RPMs and short duration engine shut downs, and it needs to be sized appropriately to accommodate the high output potential of the alternator and charger, the battery bank should also be quite large. About 600-amp hours should be considered the minimum bank size.

so in turn, if i had a unit half this size, say 6000BTU or 5000BTU i would only need 600watts of DC power, and i think i could do that on good solar power.
i only need to cool the area i am in, during the hot parts of the days, and any nights over 80 degrees. then it would only be cooling my bunk.
so at a 60 amp draw i think i could make a bank large enough to run it all night long without issue, or fuel use. also those wind turbines are 200watt each, times at least 2 is 300-400 watts continuous.
so if i am making 1000-1400 watts from solar and wind power that should be able to safely run a AC.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:59   #93

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

Glad you seem to have come round to the idea of sailing. I understand your thought process completely as about 18mths ago I was very much just a powerboat man who thought sail was beyond me. Since then, i've read, listened to others and have now had proper tuition as well as being out on a few boats for the ride and can tell you, the pro's really do outweigh the cons. It's nowhere near as hard as I thought, sure, pulling the main up and cranking winches can bring out a sweat but A, what other excersize are you gonna get? and B, you're not racing so in most instances, once you've set them up then there is nothing to do for ages anyway.

I've also looked at the Gemini 105 range and they have been discussed on here before at length. The general concencus is that they can do long distance cruising but that they weren't really designed to do so. Like you said, people have crossed the Atlantic in a rowing boat so anything's possible, you need to weigh up whats 'possible' against whats 'sensible'. To the layman, they certainly look cheap and good value but from what i've found out, that's precisely because they are. Think of a small Ford compared with a Merc or BMW. Just because the Ford is cheap doesn't mean its going to let you down, its just that the German cars are better finished and put together. Gemini's regularly deliver their boats to the UK and Europe by sea, so they deffinately can do it.

With regards to dogs, as a dog owner myself it is a worry. Like has been said, safety netting is a must all round the boat as doggy claws dont grip well on a GRP deck. Dog lifejackes are available in all sizes and all have a sturdy grab handle in their back so you can pull them out with not much trouble. When at sea, a Cat' with have the advantage of having a relatively large open rear cockpit that you can keep them in.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:38   #94
cruiser

i do like the netting idea. it WILL be employed on my boat.
i also like the jackets. i also want to setup a "dog room" in one of the cabins so in rough seas i can put them in there, close the door and they can heave ho if they need too. nice laminate floor, bed for them to lay in, and a waterbowl for Dramamine.
i will be making the boat as dog friendly a can be, i do not believe a mono would be as easy for dogs.
Old 06-03-2011, 14:27   #95

Indeed, I can imagine that the steeper companionway steps would be difficult for some dogs, the flatter layout of a cat' would certainly be easier for them. The 'dog room' is a great idea.
Old 06-03-2011, 14:42   #96
cruiser

wow, never knew this existed. i think this would work on a cat! or any 12V boat.
Old 06-03-2011, 16:59   #97
cruiser

DC Marine Systems « SunPower Technologies
Old 06-03-2011, 20:16   #98

Sure, thats what it's designed for. Many modern designs do have AC fitted, even sailing boats, the later Gemini 105 also had it as well. As has been said though, ALL AC units use alot of power, you'll need a genny to run it and top up the batteries when at sea.
Old 13-03-2011, 19:08   #99
cruiser

ok well it has come down to mainly two boats in my price range.
GEMINI CATAMARAN 34' ENDLESS REACH Used Catamaran For Sale
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=39304&url=

its not these EXACT boats, but those models.

so are they good for what i need? ocean crossing single handed, running the ICW, good for dogs?

all of the blow boat research i have done, including spending 9 hours reading up on bumfizzle today show they should be ok for what i want to do.
Old 14-03-2011, 08:37   #100

The older but larger Lagoon is going to be more suitable for you. It's higher bridgedeck and overall size will make it more comfortable in blue water.
Old 20-03-2011, 04:39   #101
cruiser

looks like i will be pushing this back a year. one of my key contracts got canceled, and i am having a hard time selling my bare land. so for one more year i will be on the powerboat.

so what can i add to the powerboat that will be useful on the sailboat next year? i have a very nice 526 garmin GPS/ sonar now. decent raido, cant think of anything that would help on the sailboat.

this might change, by the end of the year i might just get it in time to motor down the ICW for a few months.
Old 20-03-2011, 05:15   #102

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Gemini, Earlier post

Gemini is made by Performance Cruising in Annapolis. They just launched their 1100th boat. They are one of the best boats in their size and price range and being US made they do not have problems with the dollar vs euro issues. They have centerboards (daggerboards). I do think a bigger boat will be more suitable. BOB
Old 20-03-2011, 05:22   #103
cruiser

i think i can swing this one listed for 85,000 this year.
Used Gemini Catamarans
Old 20-03-2011, 05:59   #104

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
parts are parts

Just so you know. If you are confused about terminology such as sheets, windlass, halyard etc you can go to wikipedia and they will tell you everything including the history of the term. Like why it is not called a forecastle. Even though that is what it is. There is an Admiral 38 on Catamaran Company that needs work. I'll bet you could get it cheap. I think the seller is desperate. Good Luck. BOB
Old 20-03-2011, 08:16   #105

Sorry to hear you've had to hold off for a year but may be a blessing in diguise. You'll have much more time to get a feel for the market, read up on things and maybe get some sailing tuition.