Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 09:23   #1

Boat: The one in my dreams is all I have for now.
Learning the ropes

Couldn't find a place this post fit very well so I figured I would post here; if it fits someplace better let me know and I will move it (or admins feel free to do so).

I am new to sailing but have grown up on/around boats. I am going to be purchasing and restoring an older model boat soon which is going to take a year or so depending on cost. I am looking at smaller boats around 30' that I can run to the Keys and eventually the Bahamas and live on for a week(end) or so with a few people aboard. During the time I am restoring the vessel I want to learn all I can about sailing and how to sail competently. I am just finishing up a beginners sailing class using mainly 18' sloops and would feel 100% confident in taking it out solo and being able to navigate the coast for the day and return. I know the best way to learn is through doing, so what I want to find is someone in my area that wants a free crew member/deck hand who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes in the process. I know there are classes out there but as I am a full time student I don't have the $1000+ they cost right now. I am in Florida in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area.

A short bio about me: I am 31, male, a full time Masters student in marine bio and coastal studies at Nova, ex military (Army, 82nd Airborne), and as mentioned competent around boats. I love the water and sailing, I am very relaxed and easy going and am a fast study.

Any thoughts, insights, offers, etc are appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:01   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Learning the ropes

Welcome aboard

Look around Lauderdale for a local sailing club and let the people know you are wanyomg to learn and volunteer your time .
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning