Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 20:48   #106
cruiser

Re: If you're going to cruise with firearms, follow the rules (example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Again, what's that got to do with the topic being discussed?
Here is some evidence for you...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedSeaVoyage.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	125923   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC06863.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	125924  

Neptune Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 20:49   #107

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

NP, thanks for the response to my post. No, I've never been in a situation like that.

Didn't recognize the laser as a laser. Thought it might be a 1x scope for fast target aquizition. Rather like direct on target sights myself. And have spent many enjoyable hours in the BIY hobby in years past. Mostly AK, AR, 1911. Too bad no room on the boat for the tools now.

To thread topic..... respect for the laws of other countries when checking in. I personally would declare truthfully on anything asked of me. And most likely wouldn't have any firearms aboard anyway. May never even travel outside the US by boat, who knows. Been around the world twice already by other means.
Old 10-06-2016, 23:37   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune Parts View Post
Why don't you tell me what the topic is...OK?

Sorry if I took it off topic for you. Will you forgive me?

Tell me what kind of evidence you are looking for and I'll see what I can do to assist.

The topic is "obeying the laws of the places you visit".

I don't have any problem with your arsenal given where you were sailing, but when landing in any country follow their rules and declare them.

If a country's rules laws don't allow you to declare them,( even if you temporarily surrender them while in that country and subsequently take them when you leave) - take that country off your list of stopping places.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:20   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The topic is "obeying the laws of the places you visit".

I don't have any problem with your arsenal given where you were sailing, but when landing in any country follow their rules and declare them.

If a country's rules laws don't allow you to declare them,( even if you temporarily surrender them while in that country and subsequently take them when you leave) - take that country off your list of stopping places.

Totally agree.

Bahamas do not seem warranted. Increasing risk with out benefit. Red Sea, Northwest passage well that is a different.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:33   #110
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That's a nice idea, but not realistic. Try sailing past Egypt without stopping to anchor.

I never had a problem just keeping my weapons to myself for my own protection. The answer to the question "Do you have weapons aboard?" was always an unflinching no. In Egypt I was searched twice, but as any cruiser knows, finding something on a boat is next to impossible even when you know where you put it. So unless you have given them reason to believe you have weapons, the search is very cursory. The greatest risk comes from having crew with loose lips around other cruisers. Since weapons are such a polarizing issue, especially with non-US cruisers, it is extremely important that you never mention or boast to any other cruiser that you are packing heat. They will eventually tell someone that will tell someone else that will tell an authority at some port along your destination.

In Sri Lanka a battalion of officials come aboard your boat and everyone does a cursory inspection. During one of these inspections, we had 6 officials sitting in the cockpit drinking tea and chatting when I realized there was a spent 7.62 cartridge from target practice on the sole of the cockpit in clear sight. I had to maneuver myself and place my foot on the bugger until everyone departed the boat.

While in the Djibouti and the Red Sea, I slept with my AK at the foot of my bed and while at the helm, it was always within arms reach. Extra ammo was stored in plastic oil containers with oil to prevent corrosion of the rounds.

Once you leave Australian waters going West, the relationship between the cruiser and the local fishermen becomes far less predictable and the encounters at sea become much closer...sometimes fishermen will pull right alongside your vessel while you are under sail. And trust me, not all of these fishermen are trying to sell you fish. The further west you go past Sri Lanka, the greater the danger becomes because your boat is a floating treasure trove of wealth. I personally can't imagine sailing without being armed.
Neptune Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24   #111

Boat: Amel 54

Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat10
I have heard many USA citizen corrected by other Americans in other American countries multiple times for this USA centrist use of the term American.
I suppose we could change it to "United Statiens"

Look.
It just came to be that Americans means the citizens of the United States, Canadians, well their country is called Canada, kind of makes sense to call them...Canadians.
The Mexicans, well this also makes sense since their country is called Mexico, usually the nation will give the country its name (same thing with language). England and the English. Germany and the Germans. Italy and the Italians etc etc.

The United States is just an exception where this doesn't really work.

Quote:
It's funny, during my years of sailing, every Brit that I came into contact with would, within 5 minutes of discuss on any topic, ask me about US gun control. Why are the Brits so concerned about guns in the US? I eventually came up with the reply that ended every discussion on the topic..."the founding fathers wanted the government to fear the people, and they succeeded."
If they are English it's because of inferiority complex and emasculation basically, not too long ago the gun laws in England would have made even the South look effeminate. They are jealous because you Americans are basically ungoverned Englishmen, you still have many of the freedoms the English once had but now have lost. Also, it is the result of a general brainwashing of the public that starts very very early. Heck, not just guns you should look into their "healthy and safety" nonsense. I visited England last year and stumbled upon an escevation, 8 guys scraping off dirt from various shards in an open field under a clear blue sky wearing hard hats and high visibility vests, pretty soon they will need walking helmets. So yeah they love to bash you, finally, many of them are also ignorant of why you have the right to bear arms in the first place.

PS:
The Crown has to make allowances you know. The English are subjects after all, not citizens like you Americans.

Que the outbursts from our English board members.

/Off topic
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:36   #112

Quote:
That's a nice idea, but not realistic. Try sailing past Egypt without stopping to anchor.

I never had a problem just keeping my weapons to myself for my own protection. The answer to the question "Do you have weapons aboard?" was always an unflinching no. In Egypt I was searched twice, but as any cruiser knows, finding something on a boat is next to impossible even when you know where you put it. So unless you have given them reason to believe you have weapons, the search is very cursory. The greatest risk comes from having crew with loose lips around other cruisers. Since weapons are such a polarizing issue, especially with non-US cruisers, it is extremely important that you never mention or boast to any other cruiser that you are packing heat. They will eventually tell someone that will tell someone else that will tell an authority at some port along your destination.

In Sri Lanka a battalion of officials come aboard your boat and everyone does a cursory inspection. During one of these inspections, we had 6 officials sitting in the cockpit drinking tea and chatting when I realized there was a spent 7.62 cartridge from target practice on the sole of the cockpit in clear sight. I had to maneuver myself and place my foot on the bugger until everyone departed the boat.

While in the Djibouti and the Red Sea, I slept with my AK at the foot of my bed and while at the helm, it was always within arms reach. Extra ammo was stored in plastic oil containers with oil to prevent corrosion of the rounds.

Once you leave Australian waters going West, the relationship between the cruiser and the local fishermen becomes far less predictable and the encounters at sea become much closer...sometimes fishermen will pull right alongside your vessel while you are under sail. And trust me, not all of these fishermen are trying to sell you fish. The further west you go past Sri Lanka, the greater the danger becomes because your boat is a floating treasure trove of wealth. I personally can't imagine sailing without being armed.

You're my hero!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:55   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
You're my hero!
Agreed.

In a perfect world, cogent thinking, common sense, and cream always rise to the top.

Think not what you can do to assist foreign governments, and think what you can do to keep yourself & loved ones safe.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 21:42   #114

Quick question: If I (being a German national) were to buy a boat in Florida to cruise the Caribbean and wanted to have a gun on board, what are my options?
I could get a gun permit in Germany and buy a gun legally here, but I assume bringing the gun to the US would be a problem, right?

Is there a way to buy a gun locally in the US to have it on the boat legally if you are planning to leave US waters?
TCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 02:04   #115

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
Off topicI suppose we could change it to "United Statiens" /Off topic
One term I've heard used is "Usaian", but it's more of a religion than a nationality.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 02:11   #116

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Another funny thing is Australia and guns. I've never experience a society so concerned about banning anything and everything associated with guns, but it was the one place I could buy 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 without showing ID. Can someone explain?
We don't actually ban all weapons just the automatic assault weapons after the Port Arthur gun massacre where a nut case with an assault weapon killed about thirty people. Too many Bruce Willis movies. However there are very strict licensing laws which are administered by the various states and some probably require the production of a license for amo purchases where others don't.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 02:59   #117

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCoach View Post
Quick question: If I (being a German national) were to buy a boat in Florida to cruise the Caribbean and wanted to have a gun on board, what are my options?
I could get a gun permit in Germany and buy a gun legally here, but I assume bringing the gun to the US would be a problem, right?

Is there a way to buy a gun locally in the US to have it on the boat legally if you are planning to leave US waters?
I don't know but I'll bet you can. (legally). Question 14 on form 4473 asks for country of citizenship.

Questions 11 (l) and 12 ask about visas.

I'd continue googling the question and see what I could come up with. I imagine you could call or email the ATF. If you're already in FL you could go into a few gun shops and ask them.

Good luck.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:48   #118

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I don't know but I'll bet you can. (legally). Question 14 on form 4473 asks for country of citizenship.

Questions 11 (l) and 12 ask about visas.

I'd continue googling the question and see what I could come up with. I imagine you could call or email the ATF. If you're already in FL you could go into a few gun shops and ask them.

Good luck.
Would probably be a good idea to contact the Department of State - they manage export permits.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 17:48   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
FWIW, I meant I was surprised the John Hopkins involvement allowed the authors to cite Kleck...

In any case, I just hadn't heard that statement about owners at increased risk before -- said that particular way -- so was interested in the source.

Mostly the more common version of the statement that I've heard has been that owners -- in the very act of trying to defend themselves with a firearms -- are much more likely to shoot themselves than the attackers. I think I haven't seen a legitimate source for that, either... don't know if authoritative or not.

Anyway, I do tend to agree with many here, that following the rules of the country you're visiting is appropriate.

Otherwise, I'm usually more interested in studying the verbiage and style of a given debate, no matter what the topic.

-Chris
Ref data/source material, its hard to get good data in the US. NRA via congress has made data research by ATF and CDC illegal.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 17:56   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I look at it this way. You carry storm sails "just in case". You carry drogues and sea anchors "just in case". I carry guns "just in case".
What do you do when you arrive in a country that wants to quarantine your weapons while visiting?
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, rule