Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Getting stoned with savages

boats arriving here in falmouth,uk,from the azores and the med will routinely get boarded by the uk border protection agency and hm customs.

all surfaces are swabbed for traces of narcotics and explosives,and the crew interviewed.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would not risk getting stoned with anyone overseas. (I don't get stoned anyway) No matter how nice they seem it might be a setup which rewards the local and gets you thrown in prison.
I am still trying to figure out how anyone manages to smoke anything at all.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:13   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I am still trying to figure out how anyone manages to smoke anything at all.
ask bill clinton,the trick is not to inhale................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:19   #64

Boat: Able 50

No big deal. It's easy to do when your cigar is soggy

savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:35   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
Smoking too much causes paranoia!
Well that explains a lot. Now I understand where the people who want 5 bilge pumps, 6 anchors, 4 storm sails etc are coming from.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:07   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffknox View Post
I wondered when I posted the story if it would get interesting...guess I was right
I don't plan to take the fellow up on the offer for the reason I stated in the OP. For the record I'm in group A I just thought it was interesting the offer was made to a complete stranger and obvious tourist. For all this cat knows I could be an ATF agent on holiday with an overdeveloped sense of duty
I don't think he's worried about if you are an ATF agent. You are in HIS country. He holds better cards than you do. He might turn you into the authorities (who might be a family member). Then while you are sitting in jail your unwatched boat mysteriously dissappears. Perhaps it's just a way to shake you down. After his brother in law arrests you and makes you an offer you can't refuse like: How much would you pay to stay out of a third world jail. You might find out how much the stuff really costs.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30   #67
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I don't think he's worried about if you are an ATF agent. You are in HIS country. He holds better cards than you do. He might turn you into the authorities (who might be a family member). Then while you are sitting in jail your unwatched boat mysteriously dissappears. Perhaps it's just a way to shake you down. After his brother in law arrests you and makes you an offer you can't refuse like: How much would you pay to stay out of a third world jail. You might find out how much the stuff really costs.
You also have to factor in that not always that much thought given to these things......

....plus that Mr "Rich" Foreigner landing on his backside is always funny .....

..........and that catching a Foreigner doing something shows that you / your dept are doing your job (to both superiors and foreign Govts) - especially useful when not doing your job ....kinda like giving a 90 year old grandmother a full cavity search at an Airport - just so no one can claim only picking on certain groups . Appearance counts .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46   #68
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

With Pot being legal in some states smoking it is going out of fashion- I recently met a guy who had a large bag of candy fish that was legal in his state- they contained THC , he bought over the counter- so folks now can eat fish and get high-and these people were cruising all over with in undetected ..so far
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07   #69

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Is there a difference between one who calls it getting stoned and a stoner? I'm serious. What should it be called or they be called? Is there a nice term?
Is everybody who drinks alcohol an alcoholic?
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59   #70

Hey kids, just wanted to let everyone know the guy was not Belizian, he was Middle Eastern though he may be naturalized. His accent is such that I don't think he was born here. There are bongs on shelves around the walls so this may be one of those things that goes on and is paid no attention to. I'm not going to take the chance but I am probably going to have the lamb kabobs, I'm a big fan. I read in an earlier post about some questioning of the motive behind the title. It was simply a humorous title to frame the thread and was not meant to express any racial overtones. I have the book as well as the others Troost has written and enjoy them. I think most of the folks on the board are a worldly bunch and not given to that archaic stupidity (at least I want to think so).
jeffknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01   #71

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
They are not thugs! It's the culture- Zero tolerance!!!!
It is not like that everywhere in the Phils. In my roaming area of Eastern Mindanao (Surigao to Bislig), "bhang" or "joints" is tolerated. It is not uncommon to see people smoking it outside of pool halls, mahjong parlors or at basketball courts. I sponsored a barrio basketball team last year and was surprised to find that my team played half drunk and totally high as hell. They did good though!

Davao is a totally different story. Death squads routinely target drug dealers/users and other assorted criminals.

I am not a user but I do believe that weed and all other drugs should be legalized in the Americas though. For no other reason than to remove the profitability of smuggling them. Entire countries are lying in bloody ruin, prisons for profit rule our society and the "War on Drugs" is a miserable failure.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19   #72

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
No big deal. It's easy to do when your cigar is soggy

Word had it in the excerpts that he offered that cigar to YESSIRHAVEAFAT!!!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35   #73

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I think this is the wrong place for a discusion which may align oneself with any drug use. Cannabis is illegal in many country's and in some possession will result in a fine, and in some death. If you do not travel outside your own Country and are comfy with the result of you choice, then so be it. But travel the world on your own keel and your choice could destroy yours and many lives around you. I follow the laws of the country that I am In and plan to stay free and happy. If you do drugs keep off my boat and keep away from me. In fact I don't even want to know you.
Agree totally Simon, any foreign going cruiser should simply not allow drugs on their boat more so if travelling overseas no matter the half arsed argument they put up for it.

Australia will deport any offender detected and may deport anyone with a previous conviction.

Joe Cocker found out some time ago, they simply turned him around on the next jet.

Owning a foreign going vessel in another country bears responsibilities and stuffed if i'd risk my investment by allowing pot heads, stoners or whatever people wish to label them as knowingly onto my vessel.

I laugh at the attempts to legitimise the stuff, hey it makes the best denim, hey it is great rope and wow it's the best pain killer!!!!!

I agree if the users don't travel and wish to partake then that's their choice but i'll laugh my head off if a new post comes up ---"I WAS BOARDED AND BUSTED FOR JUST A SMALL AMOUNT AND NOW THEY'VE DEPORTED ME" Just dumb!!!!!!!

The title of this post is stupid, SAVAGES? what's that about? Don't sound like respect to me.....

Only my opinion however i align with your comments....NOT ON MY WATCH!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38   #74

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
"War on Drugs" is a miserable failure.
100% true.

I find the intolerance of pot smoking very generational. The war on drugs has filled our prisons, and ruined 3rd world countries. It's time for a change.

BTW - Not a smoker, but support personal liberty/freedom.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39   #75

Quote:
The title of this post is stupid, SAVAGES? what's that about? Don't sound like respect to me..!
Read my last post
jeffknox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belize