Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 14:52   #121

Boat: Various
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

[QUOTE=Blue Crab;1462985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: ... a bunch of us girls with very skimpy bikinis and the dudes wanted to see closer up.

Now this hot girl going to tell my hubby how much I love him. Off for now.[/QUOTE

Speaking for many on here I bet, we need pics to confirm yer views, Wifey B.
Speaking as Hubby B, husband of Wifey B, oh I bet you would like them. She just had to tease you a bit there. She did appreciate the flowers though. We actually had a boat full of girls with skimpy bikinis at the time of the FWC visit. Now as to the other sentence you highlighted, I'm not commenting on any part of it.

But I will make one comment. I was a worrier. I lived my life worrying about so many things and focusing on the negatives until the day I met her. She's the one who taught me how to live and fully enjoy life and how to change my attitude and perception of life and all around me. She's the one who keeps me from obsessing about all the things that bother me. She also taught me to expend my energy in places and ways that I could really make a difference and not try to solve all the world's problems.
Old 08-02-2014, 16:03   #122
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

My policy is to politely say no. I was approached 3 times in one week during my transport back and forth to a job I was doing. 3 separate agencies. All said they were going to board. I politely said "I respectfully decline your offer to board my boat" None boarded. I think theres some caveat or policy that is given that if you dont refuse , your giving consent. This doesnt apply to the coast guard. Ive been boarded by them almost annually. No problem, Im issued a white paper that has never failed to ward off boardings for the next year. They have been professional and polite and did the standard equipment check without digging thru personal belongings or treating you like a criminal. My hats off to their training and professionalism. i wish the rest of the many agencies operated with the same conduct.
Old 08-02-2014, 16:18   #123

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
My hats off to their training and professionalism. i wish the rest of the many agencies operated with the same conduct.
Amen to that. The USCGS is excellent.

The lower down the totem pole the worse they get. The worst bullies we met in the USA were Florida sheriff departments who use MSD inspections as excuses for stop and frisks.

If you are looking at ways to reduce governmeny spending leave the poor alone and start with the Department of Homeland Security. It pays for the boats these clowns drive.

We loved Florida but celebrated our "escape". We are law abiding people. I have not even had a parking ticket in 20 years but we felt persecuted by Florida state and local law enforcement bullies.

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-02-2014, 17:13   #124

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
My policy is to politely say no. I was approached 3 times in one week during my transport back and forth to a job I was doing. 3 separate agencies. All said they were going to board. I politely said "I respectfully decline your offer to board my boat" None boarded. I think theres some caveat or policy that is given that if you dont refuse , your giving consent. This doesnt apply to the coast guard. Ive been boarded by them almost annually. No problem, Im issued a white paper that has never failed to ward off boardings for the next year. They have been professional and polite and did the standard equipment check without digging thru personal belongings or treating you like a criminal. My hats off to their training and professionalism. i wish the rest of the many agencies operated with the same conduct.
We've never experienced problems with any agencies. We got accustomed to checks by the game wardens on the lake. At first they would check you but then they learned you and only the new ones checked you. And the new warden's inexperience always showed.
Old 08-02-2014, 19:52   #125

Boat: Custom 30

We decided to stop and visit some friends on our way to the islands this year. Their boat is in a marina at Snake River, Islamorada (Fl Keys).

The traditional anchorage for boats there is in the southern fork of the river on the bay end. I had planned to anchor there.

The Admiral went ahead from Marathon to start her visit while I singlehanded the boat up from Marathon (I skipped JackBoot Key this time).

My wife mentioned our anchoring plans to a local skipper, and he immediately insisted that she call me. He had been with a friend who was anchored there when two Monroe County Sheriff's Deputies came along. They did the extensive Safety Inspection and search. They explained that part of the river had been declared a "sensitive area" and anchoring was not allowed. If they stayed and there was evidence they had marked the bottom, they would be fined. It was also made clear that there would be regular inspections if they decided to stay. He had since heard the same story from others.

Go ahead and discount the story, as it is second hand, I was not there. I took it under advisement, and decided not to bother with the hassle, and anchor elsewhere.

It was suggested by several other locals that I anchor in the river, north of the bridge, well clear of the CG Station (security zone, cause people are regularly attacking CG Stations).

I anchored on the west side of the river, very near the mangroves. The current rips both ways there, so the boat won't swing toward the banks regardless of the wind. I was within 50 ft of the west bank. The river is 400+ft wide at that point, and is a minimum speed no wake zone.

As soon as I lay 110ft of chain down, I turned to rest and saw him creep up behind me, a single FWC Officer. I smiled and waved and commented on the current of 3+ knots, and he went straight to the question; "you planning to spend the night"? I knew I would be hauling up the chain.

I explained that I had planned on staying, that there was often a barge anchored in that very spot for weeks at a time, and that I was on the inside of a curve, well out of the way. He told me that anchoring was not allowed in a "navigable channel". Again, the bridge horizontal clearance fender to fender is 60 ft. The maximum beam traversing the river is therefore 60 ft. If we double that for 2 boats passing, put 60 in between and 60 on each side for safety, I am still clear by plenty of the "channel". It is a no wake zone, so no one should be speeding into an anchored boat, that's not the issue.

When I mentioned that I would have preferred to anchor where the Sheriff had prohibited anchoring, he admitted that it was all because of the zillionaires across the river complaining. He admitted it out loud and very plainly. We were both polite, but I made it clear that these prohibitions were fabricated, but I understood who contributed to Sheriff's campaign funds, and would reluctantly move. He suggested a nearby cove (2 mile dinghy ride), out of sight of the zillionaires, so the same bottom is not so protected. I pointed out that his choice for my anchorage was unprotected from several directions, and potentially unsafe (4.5' draft, 6' depth in the whole cove, miles of fetch begging for a bounce on the bottom in NW winds, but my safety was not his concern. He very politely hovered while I hauled up all that chain, then left in the direction I was headed. When I reached the bay end of the river, he was waiting there, and left as soon as I cleared the mouth.

There is no document that declares any of the river bottom any more special than the rest of the Keys. There is no legal justification for not allowing anchorage on the edge of the river, there is no marked channel, and plenty of right-of-way. He made no bones about the fact that it was enforcement of the zillionaire's view, and I had to go.

No hearsay or fantasy on this one, not even an exaggeration, it happened a couple of days ago.

Of course I must be a paranoid tin foil hat wearing conspiracy nut, but he told me plainly it was "because these people here will complain a lot".

As far as the argument concerning years of cruising without harassment, it is totally irrelevant. I have never been mugged, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or that it must therefore be the victim's fault. This is akin to the kind of thinking that victims of bullying or rape somehow bring it upon themselves. I did nothing, no attitude, no action, to cause him to be angry or confrontational, and regardless of how I had handled the situation, it was clear I was going to move, period. Legal or not, right or wrong, the easy way or the hard way, it was crystal clear I would be moving.

Karma is a bitch, and sooner or later there will be a hurricane which will return the keys to their natural beauty of 40 years ago, and anchoring will once again be allowed, as the ugly monstrosities that litter the banks will be wiped clean. They really spoil the view from my boat anyway.

I will move on to a place that will welcome me and my cruising dollars. As someone with a S Fla pedigree born and raised (my Mom was born in Coconut Grove in 1928), it is a shame to come back home to find that I am not welcome. I was in these mangroves before that Officer was shi&%in yella, before the Keys were covered with mansions, trailers and cops of all kinds. I was smart enough to leave God's waiting room once before, time to put it over the transom again.

There is an ugly word for militarized Government by and for the Corporations and those who own them. I'll give you a hint, it doesn't start with a "D".

Yeah, I'm pissed, and I should be. I will now get to pull the fuel pickup tube from the tank (air leak inside the tank) on the end of a 2 mile dinghy ride, rather than a 750ft paddle, all because some prick doesn't like looking at boats, and has a do-boy with a badge to enforce his arbitrary will. I am being forced to anchor in less than sheltered conditions to effect repairs, possibly putting me and my boat at risk.

I don't mind posting, I'm legal and have nothing to hide, so no fear of retribution. My boat and my money will be out of their jurisdiction ASAP.

Enjoy cruising in Florida while you can, the days are numbered, unless cruising to you means sitting in a crowded marina or mooring field.

As I was writing this, the wind turned around to the unprotected direction (not forecast), and the wind genny started spinning, probably due to my attitude and paranoia. Looks like I'll get rocked to sleep tonight.

It's too bad local and State LEA's can't conduct themselves efficiently, fairly, and professionally like the Coasties do. I don't mind enforcement of the Law, I do mind enforcement of someone's illegal wishes and preferences. The water belongs to all of us, not waterfront residents alone.

Guess I could look up each owner on the on-line tax records, and call each of them to express my displeasure at their building those ugly things where the view of the mangroves used to be, and ask them to move them somewhere I can't see from my boat. Those hideous canals are an obvious threat to the protected environment, and should be filled in immediately, since we are worrying about an anchor scratching the bottom 500ft away.

"I wish a summer squall would blow them all the way up to fantasyland....they're ugly and square, they don't belong here...."
Jimmy Buffet "Migration"

'
Old 08-02-2014, 20:11   #126
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Well said Custom30 and the realization that the only solution is to shift elsewhere to a less developed location.
But is that not what all cruisers are looking for with their nomadic advantage over the ticky-tacky future that we are helpless to stop?
Old 08-02-2014, 20:31   #127
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Did he show you anything that talks about anchoring in a channel? Were there any daymarks nearby?
Old 08-02-2014, 22:04   #128

Boat: Beneteau 323

+1 custom30. You hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-02-2014, 23:11   #129

Boat: 74 Tartan 34

Wow, I just read thru the whole mess.

I totally understand the original post. And I agree. Mostly because they were putting his boat in jeopardy.

When i was in my early 20s, and had long hair, and drove VW buses I got stopped constantly. I never drank or did drugs, so the cops had nothing.

I have not been stopped by a cop in over 25 years, on land or sea. I have heard the stories from many people, and am scared of cop trouble. I dont want to get beat up!!!! It happens all the time.

I live in FL for 12 years now, and sail a 34 ft sloop. Never been stopped.

I was fishing with my dad in the ocean off Ocean City MD. We were in his 22 ft cuddy cabin out board. The coast guard came up to us in their big boat. I dont know, aluminum maybe 40 45 feet.
They hailed us by mega phone. I ended up on the VHF talking to them. They wanted us to raft up, right there in the ocean, with 20 knots of wind. I was very respectful but refused to do so. I told him that was a very dangerous thing to do. He kept insisting that I comply. I told him to launch an inflatable, and I would be happy to raft with that. At some point I told him that he could follow me in the inlet and we could raft in the calm inside. The captain agreed, and followed me for a couple of miles. Then they veered off suddenly. That was it. gone.

Would any of you have rafted up in t he ocean with that boat? What would you have done? I have no doubt that my vessel would have been damaged, if not sunk.

In general I am afraid of the cops. I would pretty much comply with them, with minimal questions. I am not saying that is the best way, but it is the way i would approach it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:07   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
In Virginia, a felony is any crime punishable by a year or more in jail.

Were things like stealing over $250 ever punishable by death? Maybe, but it probably seemed like more money back then.
In England in the 18th century, theft of anything worth 12 pence or more, that is, one shilling, was punishable with a mandatory death sentence, usually by public hanging. There were plenty of other crimes punishable by death, too -- like killing someone's chickens.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:29   #131
cruiser

Having a felony on your record will absolutely, positively affect how law enforcement views you and treats you once they find out.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:00   #132

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Did he show you anything that talks about anchoring in a channel? Were there any daymarks nearby?
Florida Statute

Quote:
327.44 Interference with navigation.—No person shall anchor, operate, or permit to be anchored, except in case of emergency, or operated a vessel or carry on any prohibited activity in a manner which shall unreasonably or unnecessarily constitute a navigational hazard or interfere with another vessel. Anchoring under bridges or in or adjacent to heavily traveled channels shall constitute interference if unreasonable under the prevailing circumstances.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Old 09-02-2014, 05:12   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
There is no marked channel.

There are no daymarks on the river between the bridge and the bay entrance, and only 2 reds at that end a mile away.

No need for a channel, the river is 400-600ft wide, deep from bank to bank, and used by pleasure craft and the CG.

He didn't show me anything except that he was wearing a gun and badge.

He didn't ask for ID, Registration, didn't want to board or check anything. He didn't care whether I was a felon or a Congresscrook. He didn't care if I had weapons, or if the boat was loaded with pot. He didn't care if I had a boatload of baby lobsters that had been speared (his real job). He was very polite, and truthful.

He just firmly made it clear that I would be moving, with a sense of urgency that suggested the phone might already be ringing. I feel sorry for him in a very tiny sliver of a way, as he understands his role in the situation.

Don't even bother with the "just doing his job" stuff, as the same applies to hookers and hit men. He chooses to do the job and play that role, every day when he climbs aboard.

I was no more or less "in the Navigation Channel" than the homeowner's boats tied to the sea wall on the other side.

I have no interest in fighting it, as it is obvious by the actions of several of the State's sworn official representatives that the battle is already over. The privileged waterfront homeowners now decide who and what will use the water, and for what purpose. I have every confidence in his ability to create a reason to make me move, at whatever level of escalation I force him up to.

'
Old 09-02-2014, 05:14   #134

Quote:
if unreasonable under the prevailing circumstances.
That would be the key phrase.

I have shown that it was quite reasonable, and that other vessels regularly have anchored there for long periods without incident.

'
Old 09-02-2014, 05:29   #135

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Just want to point out the sheeple reference has been around for 2000 years. No point in being offended by it now.

Tags
florida, men