Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 12:26   #91

Re: Flame thrower aboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfortinberry View Post
If I get enough big inverter (or 4), and a boat full of lithium batteries.... I am thinking maybe a laser...

Fully solar powered of course. Hate to have to turn on the engine or genny every time a pirate comes round...
I know this whole thread is tongue in cheek, but there are plenty of handheld lasers that would definitely dissuade a pirate captain from advancing their vessel from over a mile away. You had better be fearing for your life as attempting to blind someone would be a serious crime unless you could prove self defense.

Here is the Arctic 3.5W laser -
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 12:34   #92

how about a model of a large caliber gun mounted to your deck?
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 12:37   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush View Post
A flame thrower is a VERY sound idea!! I have added pots of hot tar on my spreaders just in case pirates do get aboard. I had a mate tell me that he had to use them on a group of drunk fat girls one time and it worked. I have personal not had to use them yet!
Don't forget the feathers!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:51   #94

You have a black water tank in your boat, why not a **** thrower.
François
Arion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:55   #95
Marine Service Provider

bleach and ammonia mixed 50 50 make a type of mustard gas. just saying you can wait until they are ALMOST on board this way the gas. comes from them. you could also set up a fire hose system for each liquid, they may think why is he trying to clean us?, then spray the second liquid.
I bought 1000 feet of paracord on eBay for 50 dollars and trail it behind at night. I have a plastic garden hose reel for easy roll up that I bought on eBay for 12 dollars. it is connected to a breakaway / sacrificetial connection so not to break anything on the boat. when they run over the paracord it fouls the prop and they stop well behind. I have one one each side and if they are to far away turn into or away from them so they run over the cord. have not got this completely engineered yet but I will use an air gun to blow Carolina reaper chili pepper In front of them,.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 14:05   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know those Sea Shepherd guys tried multiple times to foul a whale killer ships props with line.
I don’t think it ever worked, not even once.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:02   #97

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: flamme thrower aboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Gotta love those gas turbines and hydrofoils.
It helps if you have an unlimited fuel and repair budget.
Old 14-01-2019, 16:26   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Don't forget the feathers!
Drunk fat girls have feathers? Can they fly? ....... oh this is bad!

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT .........
Mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 17:06   #99

You guys all missed the solution.

Set off your Electromagnetic Pulse Device, and then sail away. You are in a sailboat, after all.
Old 14-01-2019, 17:12   #100

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush View Post
Drunk fat girls have feathers? Can they fly? ....... oh this is bad!

IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT .........
Especially if they remember the hot tar episode and have flame throwers! [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 17:18   #101

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

After reading a number of comments, I can only conclude, a number of folks either stopped taking their medication or ran out of your medication.

You folks seem to have a vivid imagination. May I suggest all of you get together and write a novel titled "How we escaped the roving bands of pirates." Perhaps this is caused by standing too many single handed midnight to 4am watches? Might want to cut back on your alcohol and smoking weed.
Old 14-01-2019, 18:52   #102

Robbery, rape, murder - all these things can and do happen to cruisers all over the world. They are rare, luckily. The seas north of Venezuela up to about Dominica are more dangerous than most in this hemisphere. I know of a couple murdered aboard their boat at anchor off Portsmouth, Dominica a few years ago and I have heard of pirates attacking boats near shore in Venezuela. I know of a sailor who was attacked and severely injured by pirates while sailing in the harbor at Cartegna, Colombia. There is a need for care and self defense on cruising boats. On the deep sea, you are the only police who can help you. It is entirely in your hands.
Now, the majority of pirate attacks are brutal and often fatal. You have a choice: fight or risk death.
A little-appreciated characteristic of fiberglass, especially in two separate layers like in a cockpit, is that it is pretty hard to shoot through. In short, a sailor has pretty good protection if he fires from low in the cockpit. It is quite difficult to be very accurate while tossing around on the ocean; however, a modern automatic rifle like an AK47 with 30-round clips will hose down the general area of any attacker pretty well. Remember, the attacker is probably in even a worse position to shoot than a sailor with a sail-stabilized hull and deep, heavy keel. I would opt to blast the pirates to bits, given the chance. A useful, if difficult to obtain, addition to an AK47 is a grenade launcher. Those little buggers will blow a small boat to pieces. If you can get one, it is a worthwhile purchase.
The governments of the world really hate the idea that free people can defend their freedom. The laws are horrible, stupid as hell, and cruel when it comes to having firearms on a private boat. Grenade launchers and bazookas make the "authorities" absolutely froth at the mouth with rage. So, you cannot allow yourself to be apprehended with firearms, etc. and the authorities have become almost as much a threat to you as the pirates. To solve this problem, you have to be willing to toss the stuff overboard if approached by a Coast Guard boat or its foreign equivalent. Guns sink fast.
When you approach a foreign port where boats are usually searched by snoopy dolts who think cruisers are all drug smugglers, you must get rid of the weapons in such a way as to allow yourself to retrieve them later. A method I have found useful is to place the weapons and ammo in a canister able to resist 100 psi of external pressure (a depth of 200 feet), drop it overboard with a polypropylene floating line attached to it. Place a float on the line so the weight of the canister pulls it just under the surface - a few feet will do. The float is a glass ball painted white inside a sock made of white netting so it can be seen from the surface. Heavy currents may drag the float down so avoid using places where these currents exist. After depositing the weapons, just go check in and relax. When you leave port you can go to the GPS position of the float and haul up the weapons. One precaution: make sure you are at least three miles from the port when you drop the canister. I have had the police follow me for over two miles after leaving a port in Cuba.
I have never been approached by pirates in the Caribbean but the Boy Scouts Motto is applicable: Be Prepared.
lituya1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 20:30   #103
Marine Service Provider

I am talking about pirates not the Japanese fishing/poachers.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 00:55   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by lituya1617 View Post
When you approach a foreign port where boats are usually searched by snoopy dolts who think cruisers are all drug smugglers, you must get rid of the weapons in such a way as to allow yourself to retrieve them later. A method I have found useful is to place the weapons and ammo in a canister able to resist 100 psi of external pressure (a depth of 200 feet), drop it overboard with a polypropylene floating line attached to it. Place a float on the line so the weight of the canister pulls it just under the surface - a few feet will do. The float is a glass ball painted white inside a sock made of white netting so it can be seen from the surface. Heavy currents may drag the float down so avoid using places where these currents exist. After depositing the weapons, just go check in and relax. When you leave port you can go to the GPS position of the float and haul up the weapons. One precaution: make sure you are at least three miles from the port when you drop the canister. I have had the police follow me for over two miles after leaving a port in Cuba.
I have never been approached by pirates in the Caribbean but the Boy Scouts Motto is applicable: Be Prepared.
THAT is very clever.

I've totally stayed out of gun threads, but will comment now after having read a book about a cruising couple that spent 20 years sailing around the world.

This cruiser was armed. He was pissed at himself for declaring his weapons when he first started cruising. (pistol and shotgun). He at some point stopped declaring his weapons knowing full well what the potential consequences could be.

In any case, he was pursued by pirates more than once. He was also boarded at night. He did use his shotgun as a deterrent while being checked out by a large "fishing boat". He only had to brandish the weapon to prevent from being boarded.

His advice if he had to do it all again?......he would never have declared his weapons and would have had a professional construct an undetectable hiding compartment for his weapons.

Personally i would HATE the feeling of being defenseless and at the mercy of criminals that wish to do me and my loved ones harm.

Oh, they too had close friends murdered while at anchor ......in Barbuda.

I've now been thinking of where NOT to cruise because of criminals/pirates. (Lots of places sadly)

It looks like we will be planning to spend most of our time in the South Pacific, Australia and NZ.
Old 15-01-2019, 01:00   #105

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapanui 2 View Post
hello, after several pirates attacks beetween trinidad ans grenada as well as north coast and venezuela and the problem to detain arms aboard a yacht, I was thinking to make a powerfull flamme thrower able to 50+ feet range . remember that in the hight seas nobody will help you ,captain will be neat up, spouse rape and your boat ramsacked.....they come with open pirogues with extra tanks on deck so they are very vulnerable and thats their weak point,they have to approach to board you,and it will be very difficult for them to spot the FT, what are your opinions? fellow yachties
Also good for grilling fish...maybe better to stay at home.
You cant be serious?
No doubt there are a lot of fellow readers who going to come up with even more hairbrained ideas.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote