Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 14:48   #121

Boat: 34' O'Day
Re: Flame thrower aboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian on Leila View Post
First time commenting on an item here.
I am really interested in the idea of a flame thrower.
I am in Trinidad at the moment.
Been boarded twice by pirates on two separate occasions and don't carry a gun.
I regard life a precious - but they ain't coming on board my boat again !
Other than the popcorn are there any other serious suggestions ?
Might I suggest a M198 howitzer? Perhaps in a lovely shade of gray? If this is not to your liking I would also suggest Ninja's .....however they do not come in gray.

Mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 15:50   #122

Mush, thank you for your two wonderful suggestions.
Most helpful, I must say !

Ian on Leila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 02:46   #123

Boat: custom trawler catamaran 50 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by medevicerep View Post
I recall from my Marine training that if you fight with a knife, expect to get cut, the same applies to getting burned when one uses fire as a weapon. If self protection is your concern, take lessons on how to properly and safely operate a shotgun. Declare it when entering different countries and follow their laws to the letter. Even if you have to surrender it upon entering some countries and it may “disappear”, they are inexpensive and not nearly as politicaly incorrect as semi-automatic rifles.
you do not get the scenario:a pirogue come close to your boat full of pirates with AK s what will you do with a shotgun? if you show it you dead,but if your flamme is ready on the deck the flamme is so frightning and effective that pirates will be out of service for ever pirogue and gaz tanks burning. when you declare a gun in the islands,to recover it you have to tell them 3 days in advance (they do not keep in local post but in the police station safe in town)sometimes they do not find it!!! if your gun nice they will still it ex: nice 357 stainless python gone with the police chief !! very common sheme. in the other and you have not to declare a piece of tube,a karcher gun,and a ruuber hose...8 bars of pressure will shot easily at 50 feet a miw of gazoline and oil with a 8mm muzzle, around 30 l /mn ...
rapanui 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 04:32   #124
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flame thrower aboard??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapanui 2 View Post
you do not get the scenario:a pirogue come close to your boat full of pirates with AK s what will you do with a shotgun? if you show it you dead,but if your flamme is ready on the deck the flamme is so frightning and effective that pirates will be out of service for ever pirogue and gaz tanks burning. when you declare a gun in the islands,to recover it you have to tell them 3 days in advance (they do not keep in local post but in the police station safe in town)sometimes they do not find it!!! if your gun nice they will still it ex: nice 357 stainless python gone with the police chief !! very common sheme. in the other and you have not to declare a piece of tube,a karcher gun,and a ruuber hose...8 bars of pressure will shot easily at 50 feet a miw of gazoline and oil with a 8mm muzzle, around 30 l /mn ...
Looking forward to reading/hearing about your first encounter with a boatload of pirates in the news.

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 04:44   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapanui 2 View Post
With luck your family won't even have to deal with your remains, so you got that going for you otherwise not much else.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 05:30   #126

Boat: 34' O'Day

WOW ... this escalated quickly!

It was a dark and stormy night .... as I stood on the bow holding my flame thrower that the wind and rain had put out ...Pirates all about I thought .... "Self why am I not at the bar? And why oh why did I not read ALL the post's on Cruiser Forum?" Damn that RUM!!!
Mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 06:26   #127

jim321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 06:43   #128

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim321 View Post
Okay Okay.. So you dont want to buy any fish..
No need to get pissy about it..

Old 16-01-2019, 06:48   #129

Quote:
Well THAT had the desired effect.

So the question is.....what could or WOULD have happened had there been no defensive weapon to deter the "fishing boat"?

HA...to stay on topic, substitute ridiculous FLAME THROWER for FIREARM.

Think the pirates may have laughed themselves to death as the sailors set fire to their own boat!
Old 16-01-2019, 06:51   #130
Are you serious?

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
I watched, but somehow missed the scary pirate attack. All I saw was the scray sailboat guy with a shotgun that fires into the air. I doubt a real pirate couldn't handle some idiot with a shotgun.
Old 16-01-2019, 06:51   #131

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thats as big a BS video about a supposed pirate attack as the one by the YouTube blogger and his GF's hidey hole.
To the best of my knowledge there have been zero acts of piracy in the Adriatic.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...acy-today.html

Old 16-01-2019, 06:55   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Well THAT had the desired effect.

So the question is.....what could or WOULD have happened had there been no defensive weapon to deter the "fishing boat"?

HA...to stay on topic, substitute ridiculous FLAME THROWER for FIREARM.

Think the pirates may have laughed themselves to death as the sailors set fire to their own boat!
And what if the fishing boat had better arms, like ones that outrange a shotgun or the dreaded "Flamme" thrower? One lucky incident does not make a universal fact, weapons just elevate the risk for all involved, that they work as intended once or twice proves nothing.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:11   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish53 View Post
And what if the fishing boat had better arms, like ones that outrange a shotgun or the dreaded "Flamme" thrower? One lucky incident does not make a universal fact, weapons just elevate the risk for all involved, that they work as intended once or twice proves nothing.
Ok....so what if the pirates have AK-47s and grenade launchers. You're probably dead regardless. JMHO.

I think a lot depends on where you are. Boatie says this is in the Adriatic. (I missed that somehow). What if you were in the Sulu Sea or the Malacca Straight? Do "fishermen" there have a history of carrying AK-47s and rocket launchers? Do they have a history of letting sailors live after they board and rob you blind?

I know that certain Muslim terrorist groups in SE Asia have sophisticated weapons, but wasn't aware your local "fishermen" did.
Old 16-01-2019, 07:18   #134

Good for him! He felt that he was in a threatening situation and he handled it and protected his crew.

Seems like some of the audience here were disappointed that it wasn’t as exciting as a Schwarzenegger movie
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 07:43   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Sgt. Tom Sharkey ordered sniper police Gordon Lusby to shoot hostage-taker (Sugston Anthony Brookes) who tried to kill his estranged wife (Marlene) earlier that day. More than 14 years after that tragic morning, Sharkey, Lusby, hostage Heidi Laverick, and CBC-TV producer Angela Naus revisit that surreal day and reflect on the aftermath of that one fatal bullet.

Tap "listen" near the top of this page to hear the full conversation.
One Bullet ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/the-...gment/15664031

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote