Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2009, 22:06   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Onedin Line...

I loved the Onedin Line, a TV series of a few decades ago.

The music from Spartacus by Khachaturian set it off perfectly.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 22:31   #47

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Anyone remember Boatniks? Saw it as a kid, don't remember much, but do remember the opening scene where a thousand boats are all going full speed in random directions in a harbor.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 01:16   #48

Boat: Wilderness 1100
Moby Dick
Mutiny on the Bounty (Old version)
Deep Water
The Cruel Sea
Treasure Island (R.L. Stevenson)
The Riddle of the sands

These are some of my favorites.

Greg.
scaredycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 01:26   #49

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42.1
Recently bought "Longitude" on Amazon.com. Very good movie starring Jeremy Irons.
The story is about how the calculation of determining Longitude at sea was ultimately achieved. Very good movie.
sailing now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 03:04   #50

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Maybe someone knows this one. I only saw it once on TV and have not been able to track it down. It's a documentary about the Ostar set to the music of Vaughn Williams "Sea Symphony". There were cameras on the boats and stretches of sea shots set to the music were mixed with recorded commentary by the racers. I recall one scene in particular where on of the racers had taken a fall and thought he had broken some ribs. His commentary about his personal state of sanity for undertaking the race were great.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 03:44   #51

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
What would be great is one of those worthless cable channels switching over to an all sailing/boating channel that showed nothing but all these great old TV and movies.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 04:51   #52

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Was up late last PM working with the dumb box on for background noise--the dogs like it--and a film came on the HBO Family channel that proved to be very touching: Canvas see (Canvas the Film - Joe Pantoliano & Marcia Gay Harden ) There is a trailer on the foregoing.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:53   #53

Boat: Morgan 22
I'm surprised Captains Courageous came up just a few times. To Have or Have Not isn't a sailing movie but it's great and has fishing boats in it a lot.
MTrejchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:04   #54

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
For sailing footage I would cast my vote for "Wind", but you have to give the fine seamen in "Master and Commander" credit for being able to sail to windward with the sails aback.

Many years ago i was on a charter in the Galapagos for 8 days. The boat had a TV and VCR but the only movie on board was "Dead Calm" dubbed into Spanish and renamed "Terror Abordo". We watched it every night and it got better each time.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:15   #55

Boat: Catalina 30
The Old Man and the Sea (Spencer Tracy)

Six Days and Seven Nights (Not about boating per se but about islands and water...besides I lived on Kauai for a few years...loved it...I lived on the beach too...as a beach bum...never figured out how Tom Hanks had so much trouble...I guess it was the snack wagon everyday

Master and Commander...for guns and butter...mostly guns! Yeeehaaa!

Titanic, Sinking of the Lusitania (documentary), The Perfect Storm, White Squall, Castaway, And the Sea Shall Tell...just to keep me humble.

Run Silent Run Deep...great WWII epic also Das Boat to get what it might have been like on the other side.

and finally...Pirates of the Caribbean series just to remind me how fun and mysterious the ocean can be with sea lore and superstition....rich in tradition and history.

I'm not sure, but I thought there was a PBS series a while back about George Vancouver and John Muir....in the history of sailing these guys should get much more credit than they do...and their families...left for months and sometimes years while they sailed and charted.
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:50   #56

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
The Cruel Sea
In which we serve

Both great WWII films in black and white. Typical British "Right stuff" of the day.

Not quite a sea movie but there was a great serialisation of a French version of Robinson Crusoe on TV in the school holidays when I was a kid.........yeah, it was a long time ago
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10   #57

Boat: Buizen 48
Ironic, I was thinking of 'The Cruel Sea' as I scanned the thread only to find it just posted.

Another one not yet mentioned (I don't think) that has "stranded & survival" components, including getting a grasp on what's really important in life is 'Castaway' with Tom Hanks.

Interestingly, and as it pertains to what I just mentioned is a quote in this month's Boating NZ magazine by now infamous 17 yo Zak Southerland: "At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much".

Given it holds a "photo finish" with my love for sailing is Marlin fishing (Tag & Release of course), how could one not love the Spencer Tracy version of "The Old Man and the Sea" .... another example of persistence and determination, both heavily discussed values used in my work with others.

Papa Hemingway was one hell of a great writer ..... adventurer and man. Stayed in his favourite hotel room on Bimini after sailing there from Coral Cables, Fla. Felt his "presence"
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25   #58

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Another scary sea movie I have seen twice but cannot remember the name.
Father and 3 kids are making a passage in the PNW at the end of the season and get caught in a storm.
They wash up in a desolate rocky bay with a few injuries, a sail and damaged dink.
The weather is continuing snow showers and plummeting temperatures. They spend maybe 12 days on the shore whilst deciding what to do, hoping their mayday was received and the search party is out looking.

In the end, dad and one kid walk for help but only get as far as a shack in the woods. They find a radio and blow it up, get marooned there for 2 weeks before moving on.

Kids on the beach spend all their time wrapped under the sail living off raw shellfish in hypothermic conditions.
There is a lot of frost bite but eventually a rescue.
As with all these things, no one mistake made a disaster, but when a bunch add up, it makes a bad situation worse.

All based on a true story. Watch and learn. Dont make the mistakes they made.
Old 02-08-2009, 19:00   #59

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
OMG, I can't believe no one mentioned "I sailed to Tahiti with an all girl crew".

Came out in 1968, heres a link to IMDB for the goods.

I Sailed to Tahiti with an All Girl Crew (1968)

Its pretty funny, but lots of beautiful boats.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 19:01   #60

mutiny on the bounty