Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 09:55   #31

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: European Violent Crime Rates Twice as High as USA !

Its good to see you guys debating

When it comes to statistics, there are plenty of them, and we all interpret them differently.
ie. Drunk drivers are involved in 10% of all road crashes.
Therefore I deduce that 90% of crashes are caused by sober drivers.
Therefore I COULD further deduce, ......its safer to drink drive?

The EU laws and especially human rights laws are a loose framework which each member state applies in their own style. If a person is unhappy with that style, they are sometimes able to take it up the chain of appeal courts, a bit like tossing the dice over and over untill they get the desired result

In the case of assault. A friendly supporting hand on a shoulder can be exactly the same hand which could be reported as an assault if the 'victim' so wishes. Its as simple as that. Its all about context
Old 20-01-2013, 10:44   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Ooops, the big secret is out! Europeans not as peaceable and harmless as American media usually portrays .

Gotta remember that whilst the US has a bit of gun crime now and again, us Europeans pretty much invented the killing of folks on an industrial scale. and even before then were pretty handy at raping and pillaging far and wide . Sometimes whole countries . We even anihalated a few civilisations (Carthage has been quiet for a while now ). Main difference to the US is that we don't do it anymore for cheeses.

And anything less than a World War don't get much onto the TV . (A proper War involves either heads on Spikes or Lancaster Bombers or Zulus. thousands of 'em ).

Come to Europe - but beware the locals .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:10   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
US Americans tend to see Europe as something homogenous. In fact, the geographical, historical, social and economical ranges here are wild.
And I would bet that Europe and the rest of the world tend to see the USA as something as homogeneous. When all we have is a common federal govt!
Old 20-01-2013, 11:34   #34

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

In Europe domestic violence is the most common crime and it's allways public prosecution, in the USA in most states it's up to victim (not minor thou) to press charges I think (correct me if I'm wrong).
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 14:53   #35

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
In Europe domestic violence is the most common crime and it's allways public prosecution, in the USA in most states it's up to victim (not minor thou) to press charges I think (correct me if I'm wrong).
Close, but not quite. I imagine its similar in Europe. Oftentimes the victim refuses to cooperate. Without that evidence and against the implication that there is no crime if the victim does not say so, prosecutors usually decline to prosecute. It does not mean they cannot, though, and in prominent cases they will do so even without the victim/spouse cooperating.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 06:05   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Close, but not quite. I imagine its similar in Europe. Oftentimes the victim refuses to cooperate. Without that evidence and against the implication that there is no crime if the victim does not say so, prosecutors usually decline to prosecute. It does not mean they cannot, though, and in prominent cases they will do so even without the victim/spouse cooperating.
I would go one step further here and say that in many EU places there is an implicit consensus on non-prosecuting some crimes. It is a social consensus and when people break out they get punished by the local community. Thus they become victims twice.

I think is is not an EU specific issue but it is present here and makes me sad alot.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 07:29   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Do you think that there might be a correlation between the crime rate and crimes against boaters for a given port?? Do you think that when you are out for dinner in the city center that criminals selectively differentiate between boaters and non-boaters on a city street such that boater get a pass?
your right the Med is full of violence,stay away for your own safety.( i desperately need a berth in the south of france!)

Dave
Old 21-01-2013, 07:31   #38
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Gotta remember that whilst the US has a bit of gun crime now and again, us Europeans pretty much invented the killing of folks on an industrial scale. and even before then were pretty handy at raping and pillaging far and wide . Sometimes whole countries . We even anihalated a few civilisations (Carthage has been quiet for a while now ). Main difference to the US is that we don't do it anymore for cheeses.
Yes and we got so fed up from the waste of good tea, we left them to their own devices!

Dave
Old 21-01-2013, 07:33   #39
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
It is odd that the focus is on such a rare killing instrument when handguns, violent video games and films, a refusal to track mentally unstable people, growing gang warfare and other more important areas go unaddressed.
Not to mention the deranged obsession with long keels. Obama seriously needs legislation here.

dave
Old 24-01-2013, 16:51   #40

Thumbs up Re: European Violent Crime Rates Twice as High as USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Statistics, damn lies and statistics...
Indeed, crime statistics are often used one way or the other to back up political opinions. While Europe's crime rates in some categories may have been rising, they seem to be declining in others... And even then, the USA still has a higher per capita murder rate than most European countries... Lastly, in spite of all that, the truth is both the USA and most of Europe are still fairly safe places to sail and travel through.

So, interesting report, and I'm curious to know the specifics and root causes behind it all, but I would read the results with some healthy skepticism.
rrclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 17:11   #41

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

oboy, oboy, FBI stats. Dig further. Of all those shootings take out the righteous cop shootings, gang shootings and suicide, the numbers are very low. Now take all the totals and see how many occured in Chicago, NY, and DC. and other gun free zones, places with the strictest gun laws. Once again proves gun laws dont work on criminals.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 17:33   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
A recent study has shown that 98% of all felons in the usa; including white collar criminals, violent criminals, murderers, rapists, mass murderers; all felons... are self-professed to be democrats. If the US were to ban democrats, it would eliminate felonious crime!
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote