Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 08:26   #16

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: European Violent Crime Rates Twice as High as USA !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I'm not sure if we are saying we are good crimnals or whether we need to try harder?

But I don't see this as a boating issue. For boaters we only care about the crimes against other boaters, not what the "locals" do to each other.
Do you think that there might be a correlation between the crime rate and crimes against boaters for a given port?? Do you think that when you are out for dinner in the city center that criminals selectively differentiate between boaters and non-boaters on a city street such that boater get a pass?
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:26   #17

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
The report speaks to violent crime, not assault.
Assault includes physical attacks which are violent crimes.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:30   #18

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Assault is a violent crime.
No, it most certainly is not. In most areas, assault is defined generally as an inappropriate touching. It can include violent crime but can also include George Bush's unwanted massage of Angela Merkel's neck.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:32   #19

Ha ha ha. You edited your post after I quoted it.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: European Violent Crime Rates Twice as High as USA !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Do you think that when you are out for dinner in the city center that criminals selectively differentiate between boaters and non-boaters on a city street such that boater get a pass?
Seeing as I seem to get away with going everywhere I want... and that includes backstreet bars all over the place both sides of the street after 2am...
I'd have to say yes...
But ya gotta look like a boater... skip the gold/jewelry and Louis Viton.. thongs, shorts and roll-ups...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 08:38   #21

Quote:
Links 1 & 3 from the "Capitalism Institute" whoever they are. Link 2 from "Political Outcast" appear likewise, ummh, deranged. I'd like to say that I'd take their opinions with a grain of salt, but that's an outright lie on my part.

Ummh, look a little deeper. According to the FBI, US murders for the years 2005-2009 averaged 14,566 per year. Firearms murders accounted for an average of 9,837 for each of those years. Which means that firearm murders accounted for 67.5% of all murders.

Expanded Homicide Data Table 8 - Crime in the United States 2009

I don't know where this "Capitialism Institute" get's its agenda, but stating that "Blunt Objects" killed more people than rifles is disingenuous. Such an oddly defined comparison makes it sound like hammers are more of a menace than guns.

It's also, strictly speaking unverifiable, as the category "Blunt Objects" includes "Clubs, Hammers, etc." so we don't really know about the true extent of the danger which hammers pose to society.

The Capitalism Institute really need to break down the "Blunt Objects" category so that we know if the annual tally of 617 victims in that category were dispatched with a Estwing framing hammer, sledgehammer, finishing hammer, jackhammer or club. Or "etc." which I hear can be quite deadly. Only then will we have a true picture of how lethal hammers really are.
Those links contain cites to authoritative sources. Just because you don't like their names or agree with their apparent politics does nothing to refute them.

The hammer stat was misstated. It relates to RIFLE attacks, which are quite rare in the US. It is relevant now because restricting them is the political desire du jour. It is odd that the focus is on such a rare killing instrument when handguns, violent video games and films, a refusal to track mentally unstable people, growing gang warfare and other more important areas go unaddressed.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:42   #22

Quote:
Ha ha ha. You edited your post after I quoted it.
So what?

Quote:
Assault has vastly different definitions in different countries so I'd be pretty leery of making sweeping statements about safety. Hell, in Sweden you can be charged with "assault" for having a condom break during consensual sex.....
Old 20-01-2013, 08:50   #23

Quote:
So what?
I find it rather funny. You changed your post quite quickly once you realized you were wrong. You must be doing some frantic internet research today. However, your change made the post meaningless. It and the repost of your earlier use of the assault term only affirms that you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:53   #24

Quote:
Those links contain cites to authoritative sources. Just because you don't like their names or agree with their apparent politics does nothing to refute them.
I was referred to data compiled by the FBI - who are about as authoritative as they come.
Expanded Homicide Data Table 8 - Crime in the United States 2009
It's nothing to do with politics, it's simply that I don't think the "Capitalism Institute" has the same legitimacy as the FBI. Their work is intellectually shoddy and appears calculated to mislead.

Quote:
The hammer stat was misstated. It relates to RIFLE attacks, which are quite rare in the US. It is relevant now because restricting them is the political desire du jour. It is odd that the focus is on such a rare killing instrument when handguns, violent video games and films, a refusal to track mentally unstable people, growing gang warfare and other more important areas go unaddressed.
The hammer stat is simply a pointless comparison.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:54   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Do you think that there might be a correlation between the crime rate and crimes against boaters for a given port?? Yes and no! As a boater I'm only concerned about crimes againist boaters and this does vary at different locations. But just because it does it does not factor in much as to the overall crime rate in a given country. So crime against boaters in a given port are very important (to boaters), much much more so than the overall crime rate. But I don't believe a overall crime rate neccary correlates to an increase in crimes againist boaters/tourists. Do you think that when you are out for dinner in the city center that criminals selectively differentiate between boaters and non-boaters on a city street such that boater get a pass? For the most part I don't feel crime in a city center is a problem at all. I've been to lots of places that have fairly high crime rates, but the rates against tournists are a lot lower. So you need to stay out of the high crime location of the city.
Face it, most crime is commited by low lifes againist other low lifes! And most of it is in localized locations within a given population center.

You can apply this to almost anywhere. The crime rate of NYC means nothing in itself. The difference between the crime rate in Times Square compared to a dark park in the projects does mean something as to ones choices.
Old 20-01-2013, 08:57   #26

Quote:
The hammer stat is simply a pointless comparison.
I guess if you say so, it must be so. But I quite clearly showed you why that stat was presented. It was to demonstrate that the hysteria to ban certain rifles is overheated. If you can't understand that, I can't help you. Your style of arguing by merely asserting that you don't agree or like something or find something pointless is not very effective.
Old 20-01-2013, 09:14   #27
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
I would suggest that for many including myself that the above is a statement of opinion rather than fact. I personally like to gather all the information I can when traveling.
It was a statement after leafing through the link. Didn't see a single paragraph which could be of any use to cruisers.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 09:23   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Do you think that there might be a correlation between the crime rate and crimes against boaters for a given port??
No idea. And wouldn't bother trying to make such a correlation. Find out more about a particular place, noonsite or lonely planet would be one place to start.
Overall country wide crime figures may or may not tell you something about a cruising destination, you have no idea until you do some more research. Noonsite or lonely planet would be a start.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 09:41   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

US Americans tend to see Europe as something homogenous. In fact, the geographical, historical, social and economical ranges here are wild.

Crime rates in the EU vary from next to nonexistent to raging. I believe the same holds true for the US.

I am not clear of the context of 'abortion' in the OP. Abortion is legal on request in most EU states.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 09:48   #30

I worry more about other humans than nature/weather. There is no crime if there are no other humans around.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote