Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 14:26   #226
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,416
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
It's generally the land that sinks a boat.
True for the boat but not generally the crew.
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:30   #227
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,337
Images: 2
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Nahhh, is not the land, is the fools who don't prepare well for the conditions, or its to expensive or to complex, my ex CSY survive Lenny, Gonzalo, Georges, Earl, I dodge Luis, thx god.... get your numbers straight and count how many cruising boats dodge Canes at sea please.... and how many are missing in the attempt.
You appear to have the facts at your finger tips. Care to enlighten us?
__________________

__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:36   #228
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 2,751
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
True for the boat but not generally the crew.
Exactly, but you know what, is really funy to expect a beautiful summer sailing seasong in hurricane alley and don't pretend prepare the boat for a storm, like late booking in a boatyard when the yard is full ,,but ohh well a hurricane mooring can be enough, or I don't want to pull my mast , or jesus my whole season straped to the ground , nah nah...
__________________
neilpride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:43   #229
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 2,751
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
You appear to have the facts at your finger tips. Care to enlighten us?
I don't know how many , I know for sure a good bunch who just vanish, we loose a friend in Hugo, I have no idea who and where survive a big Hurricane in the navigable side of a storm, that's why I ask you...
__________________
neilpride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 14:57   #230
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,337
Images: 2
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Well, that sounds like scientifically and statistically based fact.
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 15:00   #231
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,794
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Seaman or land lubber 50/50
Not hardly. More like 01/99. Maybe you are the only real seaman on here Cappy.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 15:37   #232
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mid north coast NSW Australia
Boat: About a metre of Seawind 1160
Posts: 72
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Seaman or land lubber 50/50
And calling people fools for staying put. Maybe while you were making money out of them? Sounds like you had a great excuse not to go hey. I'm sure you'll get a chance to prove me wrong one day.Ill be watching this summer. The met guys reckon more cyclones than normal.
Oh, one more reason to be cautious. What about the folks who have to go out in appalling conditions to rescue someone who got it wrong?

Right. I've got my helmet on. Fire away😜
__________________
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 15:45   #233
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,337
Images: 2
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskip View Post
And calling people fools for staying put. Maybe while you were making money out of them? Sounds like you had a great excuse not to go hey. I'm sure you'll get a chance to prove me wrong one day.Ill be watching this summer. The met guys reckon more cyclones than normal.
Oh, one more reason to be cautious. What about the folks who have to go out in appalling conditions to rescue someone who got it wrong?

Right. I've got my helmet on. Fire away😜
You do me a grave disservice. We actually lost money due to the fact that most were uninsured and didn't have the money to pay for salvage but somebody had to clean up the mess. At the end of the day we lost 60% of our client base and had to re-invent our market because of the fools who chose to stay in the path of a Cat 5 storm. But feel free to continue writing ill informed untruths about me.
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 15:51   #234
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 2,751
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Haaaa, I get it, so all this fuzzzz is about personal interest...
__________________
neilpride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:38   #235
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mid north coast NSW Australia
Boat: About a metre of Seawind 1160
Posts: 72
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
You do me a grave disservice. We actually lost money due to the fact that most were uninsured and didn't have the money to pay for salvage but somebody had to clean up the mess. At the end of the day we lost 60% of our client base and had to re-invent our market because of the fools who chose to stay in the path of a Cat 5 storm. But feel free to continue writing ill informed untruths about me.
I don't need to write another thing. I wasn't there. I'll think the best of my fellow human beings , and assume you helped a bunch of people some of whom had just lost everything. But calling them fools for making a mistake ( in your estimation) and not taking their crews and boats to sea, sounds much too nasty to me.
Good luck to you.
__________________
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:57   #236
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,337
Images: 2
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Calling people fools is possibly less offensive than insinuating I was being predatory with cyclone victims. Reprehensible accusation.
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:10   #237
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mid north coast NSW Australia
Boat: About a metre of Seawind 1160
Posts: 72
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Fair enough. I retract and apologise.
__________________
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:33   #238
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 15,354
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
How many hurricanes have curved around and come back south in the last 20 years? I'm willing to bet VERY few.

That portion of the forecast was just way off base. Would have had to have been a really powerful driving force coming across the US, or a very powerful high out in the Atlantic to have steered it that way.

If I had had my nice new 65' cat in St Augustine I'd have already had a proper parachute anchor system onboard, and I would have tried to recruit one other person to go with me to as far east as I could have made it. Then set the anchor before things got really bad, and rode the storm out pointed into the storm. I would have wanted to be in open ocean with no obstacles around as opposed to trying to fend off god only knows what at an inshore location.

If you bother to read those MULTIPLE successful accounts of vessels surviving horrendous conditions while tethered to a proper sea anchor then you have to come away believing it really is doable and good seamanship.

I spent 2 days in 65-70 knots of wind (an intense low pressure system) between Va beach and Bermuda in a winter time Atlantic storm,...some running with the storm and finely some hove-to. The most comfortable time was hove to, And I think it might have been even more comfortable anchored bow to the sea.

PS: The Navy doesn't send its ships to sea in big approaching storms for nothing.....get them away from the docks and other obstacles, and grounding.
Yes. I am 100% with you on what you say.

To curve I said, not to make a loop. I mean - they all curve rather than go in a straight line. Curved tracks are always more difficult to predict and the prediction always have bigger expected error than for the portion before and after re-curving.

Navy does and navy has a good reason - big power ships that can cover good miles even in adverse conditions.

Sailors in small boats with just aux power should think twice before they act as navy does!

Nice exchange here I am not sure why so many posters get into that ugly fighting mode. There is nothing to fight about.

Big hug,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:35   #239
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 5,515
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Have not read all the posts once it started to devolve....

But to answer the OP....it all depends on your location.

For example in the Philippines, you only need to head south below 10° to escape a Typhoon.....which generally approaches from the East.

So if you are in a bad and unprotected location..... general advice would be to head south.

That is why Borneo is a good place to wait out the Typhoon season.
__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 18:47   #240
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Out there doin' it
Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Posts: 2,345
Re: Escaping a Huricane by heading out to ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
With a early departure plenty of time, Chub Cay in the Berry,s , pass the cut to the bank and gun cay, I cross the bank in nighttime on a couple of occasions with full moon and fine weather , not recommended if you don't know well the cut entrance....
Can be a overnight in Chub Cay , cross the bank early morning and if you still have sun cross the cut entrance in gun cay and voila, the gulf stream.... Ohh and I forgot to mention out of topic , I spend one of the most beautiful nights in my life anchored in the middle of the bank....
George Town to Chub Cay must be about 180 miles, in the same direction the hurricane is going, at twice your speed. Kinda goes against the prevailing wisdom, but it's a valid strategy done early enough. I'd bet a full moon and fine weather don't normally precede a hurricane.
__________________

__________________
Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
head

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Northern sailor escaping to the carribean paradise matejj Crew Archives 2 07-12-2014 11:15
Crew Available: Putting out the feelers. Aus or NZ heading West after cyclone season 2014 rumoclock Crew Archives 1 19-01-2014 02:47
Escaping Insanity fique tranquilo Meets & Greets 20 18-03-2013 13:26
Procedures for Escaping Being Dragged Upon forsailbyowner Seamanship & Boat Handling 7 11-01-2010 11:09
Sound of Air Escaping t.mcbride Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 26-06-2008 06:47


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.