Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 07:57   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Coast Guard Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
No not imaginary at all but not really doing much beyond driving up the prices in the US and creating a profit source to finance criminal and terrorist groups overseas.

I have heard more than once (including from my own daughter when she was in high school) that it is easier to get drugs that alcohol. Even if that's not the case, there is no denying that drugs of all kinds are readily available in the US.
I usually try to avoid these kinds of discussions since they really don't serve a purpose. But according to your logic, we should stop drug interdiction, save some money so the prices fall and the availability be much easier for our kids. Or am I missing your point? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:00   #17

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

When I was a tot the CG did not carry guns, patrolled the coastline saving lives and helping out boaters in trouble, and were loved and admired by all. Along came the Vietnam War and they figured out that the only way to protect and increase their funding was to militarize and start killing people, then came the drug war and whoppie, more funding, and then 9/11 and an incredible surge in more money and toys.

Drugs enter the USA because we consume some 60 billion dollars worth a year, and like the shoes you wear, it's cheaper to produce them overseas. The 5% that gets confiscated just keeps the price and profits up. The guys that took down the towers were in the USA legally and learned to fly right here. McVeigh was trained by the US Army and by all accounts was a stellar soldier until they noticed that he was bats--t crazy.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:11   #18

i hear where you're coming from lorenzo.

the war on drugs is essentially trying to dam a river with a few rocks and a stick. colossal dollars directed to a program that treats symptoms. but what you're doing is opening up some big cans of worms that are going to turn into dead horses very quickly.

maybe we should steer this thread back on course a little bit. i had to go back to the OP to even remember what it is we were talking about...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:13   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
The guys that took down the towers were in the USA legally and learned to fly right here. .
What? So that makes them right?

I would think it a fair reason to upgrade your security which is what has happened.

The only people in the world who slag the USA off more than the Ayatollah Khomeini are Americans themselves!

Go travel!

Go travel and then you will start to count the blessings of the USA.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:20   #20

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

The main theme of the thread was basically where does the Coast Guards Authority Stop!
According to a few if you fly the Brazilian and not a US flag then you are not boarded. Theoretically!
Old 19-08-2011, 08:32   #21

but then what happens if a CG boat pulls up alongside you just to chat, and it is quickly found out that you are not infact brazilian. i could see that going badly.

there is advice that goes around saying an american traveling abroad should claim to be canadian to avoid trouble. what happens when someone calls you out on that? now you're not just an american, you're a lieing american.

sometimes little lies are needed to make things go smoother for both parties. but as far as nationality goes, i'd be very careful.
Old 19-08-2011, 08:36   #22

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I guess all those thousands of drug busts and confiscated drugs and weapons, some of which I participated in, are imaginary.
No but in the big picture all those busts didn't do anything to stop drugs getting into the country, they just raised the cost of doing business for drug cartels slightly, like shoplifting does for supermarkets.

Having said that I don't mind the coastguard, I got stopped by the Canadian CG once, but they didn't come aboard just asked me some questions.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:37   #23

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
No not imaginary at all but not really doing much beyond driving up the prices in the US and creating a profit source to finance criminal and terrorist groups overseas.

I have heard more than once (including from my own daughter when she was in high school) that it is easier to get drugs that alcohol. Even if that's not the case, there is no denying that drugs of all kinds are readily available in the US.
The alternative being to "give up". I suspect most would agree that the attempt (at minimizing drug imports to the U.S.) is a worthwhile pastime.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:57   #24

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Ahhh guys, the Coast Guard is friggin amazing. They save people all the time.

There are no atheists in a foxhole? There are no critics of the Coast Guard in a sinking ship.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:58   #25

i disagree Illusion.

i'm not sure if it is as black and white is either: war on drugs vs. give up and do nothing.

what i do know is when you're watching a professional fight and one person is obviously dominating the other, the fight will get stopped. either by a referee decision or a towel being thrown in.

well the war on drugs is one of the most drawn out professional fights i have ever seen. and the corner that wants to keep them out is losing.

one thing is obvious. drugs are around because there is a market for them. which means people want them. a lot of people. think of prohibition. that fight finally got called, and guess who won. now drinking alcohol is legal and ok. you are not considered a criminal or terrorist funder for tilting back on a budweiser on a hot summer afternoon.

drugs are big business for everyone involved. from the lawmakers to the cartels. i'm not sure it's a matter of wanting to win anymore.
Old 19-08-2011, 09:00   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

The answer has been given as to who the CG is suppose to be able to stop and board. Beyound that when it comes down to it they can board anyone they want and you are an idiot if you think otherwise!

And to be clear; I don't really have a problem with it and if you do maybe you should go find some other activity where you think you have the absolute "right" that you mouth off about!

And as far as "jack boot" type of remarks...........if you don't like it MOVE somewhere else because we can probably do without you!

Happy sailing (needed a sail link)
Old 19-08-2011, 10:00   #27

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

And as far as "jack boot" type of remarks...........if you don't like it MOVE somewhere else because we can probably do without you!

Am I really looking at two white obese gringos waving a full beer in my face telling me to move? I grew up in NYC and I don't allow people to speak to me like that.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 10:05   #28

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
The answer has been given as to who the CG is suppose to be able to stop and board. Beyound that when it comes down to it they can board anyone they want and you are an idiot if you think otherwise!. . .
Happy sailing (needed a sail link)
Not very tactfully put but essentially quite true. Bravo!
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 10:12   #29

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Well go buy an RV.

I like the seas being safer than without them.
Thank you...it's nice to know people with the right perspective...to many anti-authoritarians in this forum with NO clue.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 10:18   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I kinda like that they go after the dirt bags in international waters. This makes things better us honest people.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote