Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-11-2018, 12:53   #346

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Catchy or Witty Boat Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post
I'm looking at buying an 80's 'glass 30-40 footer as I go into retirement and naming it "Kickin' Tin" or "Tin Kicker"

Double entendre' both since it's fiberglass and because that's what aviation accident investigators are called.
There was a boat here in Oz, in our early days, here, "Kickatinalong".

@ Dave S.: "Drift", eh? That's nice, I hope you can get rid of the "Margaritaville" shadow.....

Ann
Old 30-11-2018, 14:00   #347

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

In toronto , 80 foot jet drive boat owned by someone with connections to the Banana business “Ripe and Ready” and speaking of bananas strip club owner had boat called wait for it “Deep Throttle “ class all the way
Old 30-11-2018, 14:25   #348

Boat: Catalina 28

guys in the slip next to me have a Catalina 25 named "Eye See You". The graphics on the topsides are a drawing of an eye, followed by "See You". The owners are an emergency room doctor (ICU, get it?) and a retired opthamologist. Eye See You indeed.
hukilaumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 17:09   #349
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
In toronto , 80 foot jet drive boat owned by someone with connections to the Banana business “Ripe and Ready” and speaking of bananas strip club owner had boat called wait for it “Deep Throttle “ class all the way
actually it's a 60' Sunseeker. He has another called "Goin' Bananas".
I surveyed them both.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02   #350

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22

We have decided on "Tea Cup" for our Albin Vega. I think it's adorable, and oh so appropriate for a tiny liveaboard. Just two syllables, easy to communicate over VHF, easy for others to remember. Hopefully others find it catchy or witty.

I'm considering having a logo designed, if I can find an artist to draw it up: a cartoon-ish image of Poseidon and a mermaid frolicking in a tea cup, as if partying in a hot tub. Poseidon would be holding his trident in one hand, the mermaid holding a bottle of champagne, with her tail hanging out over the edge of the cup.
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 22:40   #351

I saw a small boat with the name "marlin monroe".
grecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:28   #352

A guy I know named his boat Air Cool in reference to the old Porsche engines. Air Cooled was taken.
theBeachBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 13:52   #353

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Best IMO was 28 Morgan out island in my former harbor...old salty sailor guy too cheap to rent a mooring so he lived in the anchorage...

His vessels name “Curmudgeon”

Another friend who bought/cruised his Nor’easter 32 around the world over 18yrs has cool to me name “Sans Frey” meaning cold hearted or tough as nails depending on language interpreters

My first liveaboard boat a wayfarer 24, another mcglasson of Costa Mesa Ca built was “LiL Blu” and when I recommission my new to me boat, 32 Islander MK2 another mcglasson I have thought about calling her/pretty much decided “LiL Blu 2” and painting her hull hurricane blue like LIL Blu was (she was lost to Irma-crushed and out into the many end dumps crushed boats of Irma surmised to)
Her Islander yachts beam accents are hurricane blue from factory, signs of irony and leads to remembrance IMO? Like God telling me things go on eventually, took 16mo but I have another liveaboard boat/Cruiser.

My former 17’ Oceans racing dinghy I got for Wed night races back when, I named same as my race team “Shameless Hussy” and I’m reserving it for my Pramco 8’ Sailing dink/tender so I’ll officially still have my race team legendary/tradition status for Wed night races...which also ties into why I should commission my 2nd mcglasson boat LiL Blu 2 as tradition/legacy would dictate...plus everyone who knows me heads will spin as they’ll know exactly its JJ

Old salts I know/meet and strangers of the seas seemingly like my respect for nautical legacy/traditions/logic and spirit about heritage in regards to banes and have told me I’ll be good w/Neptune and mermaids will be bountiful if I follow thru...but we won’t know till the recommissioning ceromony as protocols & superstition says...till then it’s still “Double Dubya” (cruiser vessels name is Wanda’s Wind but I can’t say that?) and sailing dink is “the dink”
Another irony is all 4 vessels acquired in FL...both Cali built liveaboards and sailing/racing dinks...as well as all Avon rubber raft tender/second backup tenders...all of which I practice FL registration & Floridian moto “Florida, a sunny place for shady people”

For a moment though I thought about naming cruiser “Trump” and dink “Rushbo” registering them to Palm Beach FL/using this as vessels ports and referring to them both as “The Book Ends” (what Limbaugh place on north and Miralago on south of Palm BCH are referred to by locals) but figured too many uptight leftist yaghtie females have too many temper tantrums saying my vessel names were attempts at micro aggressions towards them...seems flying Stars and Stripes/Old Glory seems to incite them enough???
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 14:12   #354

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Last post reminded me of "Long Winded".
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 14:14   #355

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Last post reminded me of "Long Winded".
This post reminds me “village idiot”
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 14:28   #356

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt JJ View Post
This post reminds me “village idiot”

Touche'
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 14:59   #357
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt JJ View Post

For a moment though I thought about naming cruiser “Trump” and dink “Rushbo” registering them to Palm Beach FL/using this as vessels ports and referring to them both as “The Book Ends” (what Limbaugh place on north and Miralago on south of Palm BCH are referred to by locals) but figured too many uptight leftist yaghtie females have too many temper tantrums saying my vessel names were attempts at micro aggressions towards them
There are some boats in the marina that are named in such a way that it's pretty obvious we wouldn't be friends.

Our choice of a nerdy name for our boat was deliberate-if you don't get it or think it's stupid, then we don't need to hang out, and that's cool.

Your choice of a political name will define your visitors, I'm sure.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:24   #358

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

You're right about that.
Conservatives for sure.
Middle of the roaders with an open mind.
Lefties with an open mind if there are any still in existence.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 15:25   #359

Boat: Catalina 30

There's a fairly derelict C27 named Wine Mixer ... It took me a while to figure out ....
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 22:23   #360

Boat: Mahe 36

Saw this bowrider in our marina the other day. Wouldn't want to call that on the radio in a hurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2364.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	242504  
VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names