Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2009, 20:17   #31

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I still see Barack on a multihull of some sort. Level. Athletic. Room for everyone on deck. And it would certainly have both solar panels and wind generators.
Yeah, I have a feeling JFK's boats are common knowledge in this crowd, and I was just showing off my ignorance.

I think Obama would have a flair for the historical, seeing how he likes to pay homage to Lincoln and MLK. I'm thinking something classic in design, but thoroughly modern in construction.
Old 20-01-2009, 20:20   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Hope and Change...isn't that what we wish for each time we go sailing?
Old 20-01-2009, 20:21   #33

Two more pictures of Manitou. One recent and one from 1962 in Maine. Gotta' love those plaid pants - the caption says that's Ed Muskie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	610x.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	6844   Click image for larger version

Name:	ap_jfk_080806_ssh.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	6845  

Old 20-01-2009, 20:33   #34

I have never watched a inauguration before, this was one I really didn't want to miss. Hopefully he will live up to his campaign promises and bring our country back to where it should be.

They just announced moments ago that he has put a 120 day hold on war tribunals in Guantanamo(sp?) so he can review the policy of no representation, that is a step in the right direction, even if just a small one but to do it on his first night, I am impressed.
Old 20-01-2009, 20:53   #35

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbsailing View Post
As long as it remains friendly, and cordial, I don't see why they would kill the thread. It's nice to read what other cruising nations have to say about this historic event.
Doesn't matter, I had the same discussion with most of the mods. Has to be "boating" related. So to keep tis thread "boating" related....

I was sitting in my BOAT today, thinking of this Obama fella. I don't think he can live up to the hype. Change takes time, it won't happen overnight like a squall forming over your BOAT. People are acting like this is he is the answer to all the world's problems, and he hasn't done squat yet, like a greenhorn on a fishing BOAT. I admit, that the man is more charismatic and a better speaker and a completely different person than what we've had for the past 8 years (like changing from your 14' fishing BOAT to a 50' cruising BOAT), but people are going to be severley disappointed wen we are still at war in a year. The man has made many promises that would be irresponsible to keep, like a shady BOAT dealer selling you a crappy BOAT. I hope he does a great job and turns our economy and world relations for the better, but I am pessimistic. GW may have been a poor-spoken country boy, who may or may not have enjoyed BOATING, but at least he was not a liberal. Our country is moving further and further from what our forefathers had intended, and liberals want to keep moving in that direction.

IMHO...

But what do you tink he'll do for the BOATING community?

Cheers

Bill
Old 20-01-2009, 21:30   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Liberal is derived from liber, which can literally be defined as the state or quality of being free.
Old 20-01-2009, 21:51   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
Change takes time, it won't happen overnight like a squall forming over your BOAT.

Well played Bill and very creative.

However squalls can can be very fast moving. Let's see what happens!
Old 20-01-2009, 22:21   #38

Yes Frz, you are right. However, I was using the term in a more modern and "slangy" context, meant to infer an extreme "left-wing" approach to post 1950's American politics.

If you, or anyone else, would like to discuss or debate my comments or politics in general, I welcome PM's, emails, and/or instant messages. However, political debates here in the forums will only lead to the mods closing this thread and not allowing us to have these types of treads in the future. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and have political debates here, if te mods will allow it, otherwise PM.

"A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." – Thomas Jefferson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

"Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government." – James Madison

P.S. Ex-Cali, I thought you may like me last post

Cheers

Bill
Old 20-01-2009, 23:17   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Thumbs up

I'm happy this thread is here. Although we will always have nay-sayers when it comes to politics, I remain optimistic with Obama. How could things get any worst anyways? I was very moved by his Inauguration speech. I believe if we are united as one, we can recover from this disaster we are in.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-01-2009, 23:43   #40

I think what frustrates me most, is that so so so many people follow this man with blind faith, as if he were their savior, when he has yet to prove anything. He has made many optimistic promises, which, will be great if followed through upon.

I'm still unsold. Alot of this American policy change, seems unrealistic when looking at the effects of actually changing these policies.

I hope I hope, that Barack Hussein Obama does great, and the American economy thrives.

Cheers

Bill
Old 21-01-2009, 00:08   #41

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Quote:
Yes Frz, you are right. However, I was using the term in a more modern and "slangy" context, meant to infer an extreme "left-wing" approach to post 1950's American politics.
Quote:

If you, or anyone else, would like to discuss or debate my comments or politics in general, I welcome PM's, emails, and/or instant messages. However, political debates here in the forums will only lead to the mods closing this thread and not allowing us to have these types of treads in the future. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and have political debates here, if te mods will allow it, otherwise PM.

"A wise and frugal government which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government." – Thomas Jefferson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

"Do not separate text from historical background. If you do, you will have perverted and subverted the Constitution, which can only end in a distorted, bastardized form of illegitimate government." – James Madison

P.S. Ex-Cali, I thought you may like me last post

Cheers

Bill
Sure sounds like the last 8 years to me. See you in Hemingway Marina by the summertime if what sould happen happens.
Old 21-01-2009, 00:19   #42

What exactly sounds like the past 8 years to ya? I don't quite get your post.

Cheers

Bill
Old 21-01-2009, 03:57   #43

Boat: Mac 26x
As a WAVE of emotion swept over the turbulent waters of washington it left me impressed by this man.America you have an Intellegent and articulate President well done

i truley hope that this man brings change to the world,he has already brought change,no longer can someone claim that his skin colour holds him back.

When he retires from his first day in office and he realises just how big a pile of mess he has to try and clean up,i bet he tells his wife" stuff this for a game,lets go sailing insted "
Old 21-01-2009, 04:12   #44

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Quote:
I think what frustrates me most, is that so so so many people follow this man with blind faith, as if he were their savior, when he has yet to prove anything. He has made many optimistic promises, which, will be great if followed through upon.

I'm still unsold. Alot of this American policy change, seems unrealistic when looking at the effects of actually changing these policies.

I hope I hope, that Barack Hussein Obama does great, and the American economy thrives.

Cheers

Bill
I don't see him as a savior, and many people do not see him this way. That is a media representation. He is a change from the last eight years of decline. We are not idiots, miracles are for the movies. It will take time and hard work, and cooperation.

I was just thinking, a lot of the political divisiveness gets it start through television and radio. You guys and gals are on CF too much to be impacted by all that. Is this why we all get along so well?

https://lat43north.blogspot.com
Old 21-01-2009, 04:19   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:

If you, or anyone else, would like to discuss or debate my comments or politics in general, I welcome PM's, emails, and/or instant messages.
This is a great idea and would be much appreciated by the mod team.
Closed Thread