Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2012, 09:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Your Suggestions - Liveaboard Spot from SC to FL

I looked again at your list of criteria and I see that you cited easy access to the ocean, but not easy access to casual day sailing. If you are likely to remain at the dock except for longer term cruising, then I would also agree with those places such as Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah; however, if you see an attraction to taking a spontaneous sail out with friends and family for an evening after work, those options will likely disappoint you.
Old 18-09-2012, 12:21   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I looked again at your list of criteria and I see that you cited easy access to the ocean, but not easy access to casual day sailing. If you are likely to remain at the dock except for longer term cruising, then I would also agree with those places such as Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah; however, if you see an attraction to taking a spontaneous sail out with friends and family for an evening after work, those options will likely disappoint you.
I have to disagree with you on that. Charleston has very good day sailing. The harbor is quite large with plenty of room to sail. Good depth other than sand bars near the jetties and Ft Sumter. Some of the barrier islands are easily in day sailing range. And the view from the harbor looking into downtown from the harbor is pretty good. Its a perspective that you don't usually get to see.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 15:48   #18

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY

Fernandina Beach... we're the "forgotten" small town... And we LIKE it that way... I was born/raised in S. Fla and moved out in 1985 at the age of 34... I go back about once a year for my "defensive driving" renewal.... Will never move back.....
Tons of resturants and a very laid back atmosphere here...
But the Charleston, Savannah area is also great......
Any place north of Jupiter/Ft Pierce and you will find friendly people
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 17:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
I have to disagree with you on that. Charleston has very good day sailing. The harbor is quite large with plenty of room to sail. Good depth other than sand bars near the jetties and Ft Sumter. Some of the barrier islands are easily in day sailing range. And the view from the harbor looking into downtown from the harbor is pretty good. Its a perspective that you don't usually get to see.
I think Capt Force was referring to the strong currents around Charleston. They could make docking an issue at max flood or ebb. If your comings and goings are tide-limited it might make casual daysailing after work problematic.

We have an older boat, full keel and not very maneuverable; I try to come and go only at near slack tide at the City marina there. (The one time I didn't was the only time in 3 years of cruising that I touched another boat while docking - providing entertainment for the spectators is an experience I'd just as soon not repeat.)
Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper Life Afloat is having some formatting glitches, till then I'm posting at Life Afloat Archives and Life Afloat on Facebook! And a new project, The Monkey's Fist: Collecting Cruisers' Perspectives
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 17:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
I think Capt Force was referring to the strong currents around Charleston. They could make docking an issue at max flood or ebb. If your comings and goings are tide-limited it might make casual daysailing after work problematic.

We have an older boat, full keel and not very maneuverable; I try to come and go only at near slack tide at the City marina there. (The one time I didn't was the only time in 3 years of cruising that I touched another boat while docking - providing entertainment for the spectators is an experience I'd just as soon not repeat.)
Now THAT I agree with. The currents in Charleston can be tough. I'm full keeled as well and with the currents here it can be tough docking. But OTOH, if you can dock your boat in Charleston, odds are, you can dock it damn near anywhere!
Old 18-09-2012, 17:09   #21

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

We've certainly entertained our share of onlookers over the years. Our big old boat is not so maneuverable either. Knowledge of the tide and at least two strategies are very helpful. Backing our boat is a wild time for sure.

Was just looking at the web posted rates for Charleston City Marina - $18/ft per month? Surely there is a better deal, no?
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 17:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabbmob View Post
We've certainly entertained our share of onlookers over the years. Our big old boat is not so maneuverable either. Knowledge of the tide and at least two strategies are very helpful. Backing our boat is a wild time for sure.

Was just looking at the web posted rates for Charleston City Marina - $18/ft per month? Surely there is a better deal, no?
It is cheaper. If you do an annual contract with them, it is $13/ft per month for the farthest docks. It gets more expensive the less you have to walk. If I remember correctly, Charleston Harbor Marina goes with a flat rate depending on the size of the slip, SJYH is $12.50/ft per month and Bohicket is $11/ft per month. For where I am, all the slips are privately owned, so it varies. A 40' slip right up front on A Dock was just leased for $400/month regardless of the size boat for instance. Hope that helps.
Old 18-09-2012, 18:55   #23

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

You can get some great deals on a slip in Charleston if you watch Craigslist. A lot of slips got condo'ed a few years back, and the owners are hungry for a renter these days.

Plus one for Charleston and Beaufort, SC. But don't forget Hilton Head. There are some beautiful marinas there, lots of restaurants, and probably plenty of CPA work. I grew up sailing on the Calibogue Sound and was there this summer. Still a pretty place.

Savannah and Brunswick, GA, are nice towns, but I believe it is actually against the law to live on a boat in Georgia. At least I've read that a time or two.

Wrightsville Beach, NC, is another place to consider. Wilmington is the metropolitan area.

I really think most of Florida is turning pretty hostile to liveaboard boaters. They seem to be forgetting their Travis McGee heritage there.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 07:45   #24

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
I really think most of Florida is turning pretty hostile to liveaboard boaters. They seem to be forgetting their Travis McGee heritage there.
I haven't felt that myself. I know my marina in Florida is making lots of improvements all the time for the liveaboards and there are plenty of liveaboard marinas all over the state.

I mostly think Florida has a real problem with derelict boats. That's probably gotten worse as the economy has gone downhill and the bill to handle wrecks often gets passed to the local government and it's often a huge bill. Those kind of costs just keep going up and up.

I think Florida is probably moving away from anchoring liveaboards and trying to push people onto moorings and into slips where there's more control over it. It sort of just is what it is.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 08:57   #25

Boat: Beneteau 36

St. Augustine, FL

Centrally located and close enough to Jacksonville if you needed to work in a big city. Your kids would love it there. You can ride your bike easily from Downtown all the way out to the beach. Surf is good, fishing outstanding, good inlet (just finishing a newly dredged inlet). Lots of great bars and rest. Much Much cheaper than Charleston all around. Very Safe city. Look into Hidden Harbor Marina, 90% liveaboards (many with kids), $10/ft, walk to downtown half mile or less, school bus service right in front of marina, good schools. I could go on and on. You can most likely find a CPA job there if not within a 20-30 min. commute could put you with a small or big firm. If you have any questions email me. I know the city in and out. Lived aboard there for 8 years.

www.goneglobaladventures.com
Gone Global is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 09:10   #26

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Personally I find anything above the frost line too cold for me in the winter anymore.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
www.sunsetbaymarinaandanchorage.com/ is in Stuart, Fl. Greeat marina and staff, liv-a-board friendly. Nice town with a small town feel. Not like the attitudes that exist farther south . It meets your criteria well.
I know this is an old post but I wanted to respond to it. I can not believe anyone would really want to stop at this marina especially when they charge $2.50 per foot per day and Power and tax are on top of that. There are few facilities and we had to tie up at wooden posts as there was no cleats on any of the docks.
I would think twice about making this marina a stopover destination..
There is plenty of scope for o/night anchorages in the area.
xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard