Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 09:45   #31

Re: You'll Think I'm Crazy

Jim, Randy and Bash are right. Two Danforths in Richardson Bay do not a good anchor make. If you look around, you'll see most boats have only one anchor. You will swing differently than they will. Plus, you'll only be on one of those anchors when the winds shift to the south, like they are doing right now with this front moving in with the rain. Do some research on the new generation of anchors (Rocna, Manson Supreme come to mind). You can do it on this board or any of the other popular ones (Sailnet, sailboatowners.com - who also have an S2 section). Richardson Bay is pretty rotten in the winter. As some have suggested, there are better places in the Bay Area to anchor out if you don't have to be in Sausalito.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 09:50   #32

Boat: 1982 S2 8.0b 26'

What if I anchored out in Richardson Bay during good weather, and moved into the delta a day or two before any nasty weather hit? Looks like, as things stand right now, the weather will be good for the next week or so. Weather's definitely something I'm used to keeping an eye on, and having to figure out...if you're on the road, you have to see a storm coming or you're going to have a very miserable time.

Sausalito's mostly good for me because, with the constant stream of tourists, I can make money playing music (I'm a banjo player). Minimum wage or better, and none of it has to go to taxes. If I keep an eye on forecasts, I should know about any major storms coming in; if I see a storm brewing too fast for me to get up into the delta, I could always hastily pay for a transient slip for the night. Plus, the trips to and from the delta would make good mandatory experience.
Dameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 14:12   #33

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameon View Post
somebody that rides the rails to get to where they need to get to make their money. Needs may be few, but they can be the difference between life and death. Maintenance can be important, and attention to detail, and you can never ever trust your method of transportation because it will kill you the instant you turn your back no matter how much you love it.

Sound familiar?
Yeah, here we call them "cruisers". AKA "transient workers". Nothing wrong with that, but it is good cruising "manners" to prevent your boat from becoming a eyesore.

(EDIT: The following is not meant to be targeted at the OP, but to answer the original question "What do I not know" - and the importance of a neat clean boat might be one of those things!)

The reason is that the freedom we're enjoying today was hard-won by previous cruisers and liveaboards who showed that they were good neighbors even when anchoring for free right in front of prime beaches, private mansions, and costly well cared-for city parks.

Now you are in the position to support that legacy for future "hobos", and the point of my original reply is that it can be very costly to do so - you paid a low price for a good boat, which is awesome, but it could be setting you up for some sticker shock down the line.

Anyway you don't seem like a "penniless drifter", and here's hoping your new lifestyle doesn't make you one!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:08   #34

I appreciate any and all answers, I'm hard to offend. I want to have a clean, good looking boat because I want to take pride in my boat. Also, what good is an ugly dirty looking boat for picking up girls, I ask you?

Sticker shock isn't a problem...I priced boat parts and maintenance before going in; the shock already hit and passed before I bought the boat ("a thousand bucks for a stupid winch?!")
Old 20-11-2012, 19:54   #35

Boat: csy 37

I'm not from that part of the country, but i do know something about exposed anchorages. Got to agree with the guys who say move into the delta while you can. Weather sometimes comes upon you unexpectedly, and you can't always be certain you'll have time to pull up anchor and get away.

Maybe the first sailing lesson you should learn is to be prudent; if you're contemplating a permanent or even semi-permanent liveaboard home, make sure it's in an area with the best protection available. I'd hate to see your cruising career come to an abrupt end with the loss of your boat....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:14   #36

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye
From the description of your location, it sounds like a proper anchor for you is going to be so buried by spring you will need a tug boat to retrieve it. Nothing makes the nerves go crazy like a week of weather and chop locking you down below riding on an anchor. Winter is full of those experiences. Have you asked how much a 3 month slip lease would cost? Many seemingly smart people here have recommended you rent a slip for the winter. It really does sound like sage advice. It sounds like you do not have proper anchoring equipment now, so that is going to cost you an arm and leg. Slip rent might be less. The problem with the idea of running into the marina for a night or two is cost. In my area, 2 nights of transient slip rent is the same cost of a monthly lease. It really does sound like going into a marina for next 3-4 months is cost effective and very good insurance that you will still have a boat come spring.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 03:48   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

On the subject of anchoring - will also have to bear in mind chafe if using warp. and if solely chain then not sawing through the deck! / deck fittings - you will need to make sure the anchor line stays firmly in the bow fitting.

also bear in mind what the anchor line is actually fixed to - around these parts we usually lose a boat or 2 every year from one particularly exposed mooring field over the winter simply because the foredeck rips out (complete with line still firmly attached to deck fittings!).....and those are mostly smaller boats.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:52   #38

Three months of my slip would be about $650; more money than I have. Plus deposit, plus I need insurance, and that would be doing sneakaboard. The finger I'm on is lined up right beneath the harbormaster's window, so sneakaboard isn't really an option. For liveaboard, I'd have to get a proper holding tank setup (I have a MSD that I'm planning on consistently bringing to shore in my dinghy to empty. Gross, but I don't like to **** where I live), so there's at least another couple hundred there. Plus the extra $250 to do liveaboard.

And this is the cheapest marina around.

My ex was supposed to have the money to pay for the slip and set up the boat for liveaboard; I have a new rule of not going into significant investments with significant others. Too little too late.

So the option really is anchor out or give up the boat I've already worked so hard for, and I'll die before that. Luckily I have money for getting things I need to anchor out, and there's a marine consignment store nearby with some really good prices, so I can at least afford another anchor and some more rode for it.

The anchor I've got is a 15 lb danforth, rated for boats up to 32'. I'm thinking I can at least get a bigger one. The rode is combined chain/nylon; the rope's properly attached to the chain, not just tied on or anything.

The good thing about having to do this during the winter is I find that jumping in the deep end and really putting yourself in the **** is a good way to force yourself to learn very fast. If I make it through the winter, I imagine I'll be pretty ready for the things I'll face eventually on the ocean itself.
Old 21-11-2012, 09:14   #39

Boat: CORBIN 39

what are you doing for money?
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:22   #40

What about moving to an all-new location. You can "jump right in" to that bluewater cruising mode!

I've made a fair living in the past doing temp work and spot jobs. I know much of that work has gone to immigrants in recent years. Have you had luck doing that kind of work, or is it outside your interest area?

I'm curious about the west coast - is there a winter destination for our friend out there, similar to the Bahamas on the east? One that he can reach (safely) in his boat?
Old 21-11-2012, 09:26   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameon View Post
If I make it through the winter, I imagine I'll be pretty ready for the things I'll face eventually on the ocean itself.

It's been commented recently that the ocean is often more forgiving than the coast in some areas, and time of year may have some relevance on that.

You literally might (I am NOT experienced in this area!! speculating only) be better off stocking up and heading out to sea a few days at a time. Depending on your coastal options, you might find smoother water, and also save yourself the honey bucket hassles.

Of course you need to get back to port if anything serious is threatening.

If you can find an experienced sailor interested in a very long crossing, Hawaii is a possibility. However, this is a very serious undertaking and likely requires serious planning and equipment.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:03   #42

I play music on the streets for my money. Honestly pays more than trying to get gigs in this area.

There's definitely some seasonal labor in California. There's grape picking season for wine country, and, erm, other kinds of seasonal work. Those seasons are pretty much over for the moment. Mostly, I made myself a promise a while ago that I was done working my ass off to make other people rich. I can essentially make minimum wage tax free doing something I love; the bay area has a year round tourist industry I can take advantage of. If I can anchor out, then most of the money I make can go right into the things I need for the boat (bottom paint is heavy on my mind and pocket book).

From what I understand, the coast here is somewhat treacherous this time of year unless I get much farther south; I'd also like to make sure my boat is in tip top shape before doing any blue water cruising. She's only 26 feet, guys! I'm not doing a Hawaii crossing until I have a lot more experience myself.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:19   #43

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Good onya mate, you are an inspiration.your attitude is wonderful. Methinks your way of life is a courageous one and one that would scare most people to death.Take what you have learned on the trains and adapt it to your life on the briny.Go cruising.Oh did i say go cruising?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 11:24   #44

Boat: csy 37

Dameon, a 15lb danforth is only useful as a prop in comedy skits, or maybe a lunch hook for your dinghy in a lagoon with 350 degrees protection. Boats your size, at least in my neck of the woods, regularly drag to shore trailing their comical little danforths with them. And they have more protection than richardson bay affords.

And rope rode? You'd better learn quickly how to protect it from chafe. But you'll find that most cruisers use all chain. If you're actually intent on spending the winter in that exposed anchorage you may want to scrounge every penny you can and buy REAL anchoring gear....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 11:59   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
But you'll find that most cruisers use all chain. If you're actually intent on spending the winter in that exposed anchorage you may want to scrounge every penny you can and buy REAL anchoring gear....
I read somewhere about a scheme for getting more out of anchor/chain combination by attaching a bucket of scrap or concrete to your chain road a few feet below the surface. This forces the chain to lie at a lower angle, and therefore improve the drag performance on your anchor.

Does this boat have a working motor? Or sail only? Just wondering if you've got an easy way to get the boat into deeper shelter if things start to get uncomfortable on the anchor.