Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12   #1

Boat: Oceanis 430
Wintering in Greece. Safe ports

We recently purchased an Oceanis430 and we are planning on spending the winter in Greece. Any advice on SAVE and cheep ports?
Thank you in advance for your opinions and suggestions,
A

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
andreanuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 15:13   #2

Re: Wintering in Greece. Safe ports

In the Ionian, Cleopatra at Preveza, Mesolonghi, contact Michael Thompson at Carayachts. The others, Gouvia, Lefkada, are world standard and their fees reflect this, There are many other options but they are not secure. There are other places down south but haven't tried them out
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:39   #3

Boat: Oceanis 430

Thank you for the info. Mesolonghi sounds quite interesting and safe! Cleopatra is good as well but far from the villages...

andreanuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 14:26   #4

Read more about these ports on sites such as noonsite. Both sites are isolated from towns. If you plan to live aboard, you might investigate tying up in a port such as Mourtos or Plataria. Have you considered renting an apartment for the winter? Read Fandancer blog to find out about doing this inthe Aegean. We keep our boat on the hard for 4+ eu a day but fly home for the storage time.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:57   #5

Boat: Leopard 40
Send a message via Yahoo to Sarayu Send a message via Skype™ to Sarayu

We enjoyed wintering in Messoolonghi.It is a short walk to town, just the right distance. A good sailing community of semi permanent ex pats from everywhere, try it.
Sarayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 18:25   #6

We are wintering in Licata Sicily. It is a nice Marina and cheap. Look for places near LCCT airports that are serviced by Easy Jet, Ryan, Monarch etc. Corfu is one. Ionian is a nice place to learn about your boat. On the other side Leros and Poros. Be aware of the Greek Cruising Tax and 18 month VAT issue if you are a foreign boat I.e. Non EU.
Pauline SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 18:30   #7

At Preveza there are three options. Ionian, Cleopatra and ??? Forget the third. There is an international airport next to the three marinas. Storage is on the hard. It costs a few bucks to go in the tunnel to Preveza Town. Ambracian Gulf behind Preveza is a lovely bay sailing ground with turtles, dolphins and Prawns. Be aware most of These places virtually shuts down over winter. Have a look at Corfu options. It is a nice town with good airport to major cities in Europe. Going rates are around €1000, to €1,500 for 6-7 months.
Pauline SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 00:27   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43

There were about a dozen boats (including us in our Beneteau Oceanis 43) which wintered in Marina de Ragusa and spent the summer in the Ionian. Many of us are wintering again in Ragusa. Great live-aboard community. Next winter a few of us are thinking of Kalamata in the south of Peleponnisos. Anyone with experience of this port? Some friends have a Lagoon 38 catamaran - any thoughts on facilities for the double boats in Kalamata?
Amblecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 00:28   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreanuzzo View Post
We recently purchased an Oceanis430 and we are planning on spending the winter in Greece. Any advice on SAVE and cheep ports?
Thank you in advance for your opinions and suggestions,
A

TRY LEROS ISLAND
THERE ARE 2 MARINAS AND ONE BOATYARD.
TRY THE NEW BOATYARD ARTEMIS LEROS BOATYARD FOR WINTER STORAGE . VERY GOOD PRICES !!!
CPT NIKOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:23   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pauline SA, Amblecampbell, and CPT NIKOS.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 14:08   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

I am guessing you have now decided on your winter retreat... Just in cse you are still looking.

I have just started my 2nd winter storage ashore at Cleopatra and no complaints so far. They have an attached marina where you could winter afloat but it is open to westerlies and you really do need a car to get around. I believe they now also run the (unfinished) marina across the channel in Preveza which is a pretty safe heaven and an all year round sort of town. I wouldn't go on the town quay in winter as I have seen boats suffer in strong easterlies.

Not sure what the winter is like in Murtos but the town quay is definately no place to be in strong westerlies and even the new harbour bit can get a lot of reflected swell.

I hear many boats go into hibernation in Sivota on Levkas and likewise Vlikho, which has a yacht club that brings a bit of Britain all year round to the place.

Gouvia marina offers really good protection and is not too expensive in winter. Even in summer the on-site bars and restaurants are as cheap (and much, much better) as the 'supposed' cheap and cheerful offerings outside the gates. It costs just €1.50 to get into town by bus and there is enough going on to keep you occupied through the winter months.

Good luck!
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:21   #12

Don't forget Plataria 6 miles north of Syvota, 6 miles south of Igoumentsa. Contact Michael Thompson (google Carayachts). The web site has prices and details. Quiet but adequate. Many people use the quay as a permanent boat park because none seems to be collecting fees. Plenty of Tavernas, but only one uses credit cards and this one is the only place you can get cash. From Igoumenitsa, 5 euro ferry to Corfu. Bus on the superhighway, 4 hours to Thessaloniki, 14 hours to Istanbul.

Tags
Greece, ports