Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 10:53   #1

Boat: Maverick 440 ( ordered )
WiFi boosters and 4g ect

Internet on board, I need good solution to maximise internet on board. I wish to maximise marina signal as boat will be marina based for a year. We then plan water sailing">blue water sailing. It it best to get a WiFi booster now and 4 g booster added later . Is there a lossless combined option? Can anyone recommend an experienced good company to provide advice and to purchase solution. Uk or South African expertise preferable. I seem to just be reading and reading and not finding the optimum solution. # getting more confused.
Skylarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 11:28   #2

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: WiFi boosters and 4g ect

Hi Skylarks,

There have been a number of posts on this very topic in recent weeks, including one started by me. Try using the forum search feature and searching for "wifi." Different solutions work different needs and locales. We went with unlimited data on a cellphone as a hotspot and it's meeting our needs as we travel.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
We went with unlimited data on a cellphone as a hotspot and it's meeting our needs as we travel.

John
What is the HotSpot Limit? I have Verizon with an unlimited data package, however, they limit each devices HotSPot to only 15GB.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 13:06   #4

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What is the HotSpot Limit? I have Verizon with an unlimited data package, however, they limit each devices HotSPot to only 15GB.
Same. We’re with ATT. 15 GB per line. We have two lines and named the hotspot on each the same so all of the devices will connect regardless of which is on. We can also watch tv or Netflix or whatever on the phone and cast it to the tv without using the hotspot, unlimited data that way. It’s working for us. Might not for everyone.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 21:22   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

We're using Team Mobile with unlimited data and texting as a hotspot and has worked well thru the med, Caribbean, Panama, now in Tahiti. Irridium Go when we have no cell service. I've been looking for a wifi amplifier for hi speed internet from a restaurant or other source. I just havent decided on which one yet.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 21:43   #6

Boat: Maverick 440 ( ordered )

Thanks , have also been looking for a WiFi amplifier. Considering WiFi ranger as recommended by the Wynn’s . I think it is being upgraded ? For cell signal booster was looking at weboost. I think someone has said that one of these companies is bringing it a product that does both? Or does anyone else know of this. ?
Skylarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:52   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40 Voyagemaker Cutter
Arrow Re: WiFi boosters and 4g ect

I have Verizon unlimited data on iphone but Verizon limits the higher speed data to .5GB per 24 hours and no way can play Netlix on it for that reason. Verizon USA/MX/Canada only, currently based/lying Ensenada Mexico. Team Mobile is accessible in all those countries???

I was thinking a marine wifi booster on board would solve deficits while near a land based access point like marinas, restaurants etc.

All comments welcome! Bryon
SV Bella Sirena
Ensenada Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
We're using Team Mobile with unlimited data and texting as a hotspot and has worked well thru the med, Caribbean, Panama, now in Tahiti. Irridium Go when we have no cell service. I've been looking for a wifi amplifier for hi speed internet from a restaurant or other source. I just havent decided on which one yet.
DreamCatcher37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:22   #8

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarks View Post
Internet on board, I need good solution to maximise internet on board. I wish to maximise marina signal as boat will be marina based for a year. We then plan blue water sailing. It it best to get a WiFi booster now and 4 g booster added later . Is there a lossless combined option? Can anyone recommend an experienced good company to provide advice and to purchase solution. Uk or South African expertise preferable. I seem to just be reading and reading and not finding the optimum solution. # getting more confused.
For over one year we have been using a Bear Outdoor WiFi Extender. This device plugs into a PC with a USB plug. It is DIRECTIONAL! It is simple and remarkably cheap.

In our marina and elsewhere we've been the multiple signals bouncing off of masts makes most use of wi-fi difficult. We fought it for four years trying various systems all with omni directional antennas. The Bear, however, is a directional antenna and works great. It cuts through the clutter. It also has very good range. We used it when anchored outside of several marinas. If we had a password we could usually get a good connection. For example, in Barra De Navidad we got connection good enough for Netflix at over 1/2 mile from the marina building. There is no external power requirement, no other pieces, just the bear antenna plugged into the computer. It is portable, not permanently mounted on the railing. Of course the Bear must be pointed towards the access point. When anchored we frequently have to go outside and turn the bear towards the shore antenna. With a 12' cord going out of the main hatch we can reach the mast or the boom, and right now it is tied to the mast with a sail tie.

We use Connectify application on the PC to create a hotspot for other devices on board.

When away from a WiFi source we use cellular service with a USB cellular modem. A prepaid SIM card with a good data plan is inserted into the USB Modem (dongle). A 9' USB extension cord allows this USB modem to also be plugged into the PC and placed outside the boat however it does not need line of sight to the cell tower. This solution works well but data plans vary in cost. Some US based unlimited plans (ATT, T-Mobile) get cut off when they figure out you are based outside of the USA instead of simply travelling.

With these two solutions we generally have (except while on passage away from the shore) full time Internet. We always use Connectify to share the Internet connection to other devices.

While offshore we used SSB and Pactor modems connected to Sailmail. it is not for Internet browsing. but good for email and weather and selected web page downloading (text) via saildocs.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher37 View Post
I have Verizon unlimited data on iphone but Verizon limits the higher speed data to .5GB per 24 hours and no way can play Netlix on it for that reason. Verizon USA/MX/Canada only, currently based/lying Ensenada Mexico. Team Mobile is accessible in all those countries???

I was thinking a marine wifi booster on board would solve deficits while near a land based access point like marinas, restaurants etc.

All comments welcome! Bryon
SV Bella Sirena
Ensenada Mexico
Some restaurants have sufficient power to reach your boat anchored offshore, others are only strong enough for their inside customers. Marinas and hotels often offer more powerful access points.

A directional antenna works well if it is pointed towards the access point. See our other comment in this thread about the one we've been using successfully.
Old 11-08-2019, 15:52   #10

Ive got Google Fi which is expensive if you use a lot of data (4 sim cards give me 60GB 4g speed at a total of USD205/month with unlimited voice and sms). I am just about to install a load balancer and connect each sim card to a different WAN so that I can multiply the 256kB speed limit by 4 and hopefully reach 1mbps after the 60GB have been used. Still trying to find lower cost solutions for 4g data on international sim cards, but everything else is much more expensive. My family uses up a lot of data (between 100 and 200gb/monthly due to streaming), if anyone knows any better alternatives let me know!
Bowtienot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 15:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtienot View Post
Ive got Google Fi which is expensive if you use a lot of data (4 sim cards give me 60GB 4g speed at a total of USD205/month with unlimited voice and sms). I am just about to install a load balancer and connect each sim card to a different WAN so that I can multiply the 256kB speed limit by 4 and hopefully reach 1mbps after the 60GB have been used. Still trying to find lower cost solutions for 4g data on international sim cards, but everything else is much more expensive. My family uses up a lot of data (between 100 and 200gb/monthly due to streaming), if anyone knows any better alternatives let me know!
Your family should get outside more.

Prepaid cards bought locally seem to be a bit cheaper. We're getting 7gb data package for $10 at good speed and there are better deals. Give each kid a sim card and a budget. It might be a good life's lesson for them.

Or are you the problem?

Tags
wifi