Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 14:51   #1

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
Where to Live in the Virginia / Maryland / Chesapeake Area ?

As per usual, our plans fell a bit short we were heading up north for the summer to find somewhere to work for a few months to refill the kitty for a little cruising after hurricane season

but on the way north, we discovered our keel joint was leeking and the engine was suffering from MOLS or massive oil loss syndrome -- soooooo we stopped in VA, hauled out and fixed the joint and oil leak but we're behind schedule and a weeeee bit broke

so where do we go? We're 28 and 26 -- I've got plenty of IT experience -- networking/infrastructure/servers/etc. but that's tough to find short term employment in, pretty hand around boats (engines, glass work, etc. etc.) you learn a lot when you buy a boat that was ignored for 20 years and have worked in the hospitality industry before

girlfriend has worked in publishing and hospitality, is an artist and ideally would want to work for a screen printer or something, but we're pretty flexible

I'm from South Carolina so the Chesapeake is one big empty spot in my knowledge of the US -- some people around the boatyard recommended either annapolis or across the bay on the eastern shore -- Cambridge was mentioned specifically -- ideally we'd like to find somewhere we can live at anchor or a mooring ball and get around by bike or public transport and find jobs for a few months

any thoughts out there? Where should we check out? somewhere with a "downtown" however small would probably be preferable -- lots of businesses centered in a small area

should we go to Philly? Annapolis? or are there some smaller cool areas that would great to live at anchor in?
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:57   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Lot's of restaurants in Annapolis...should be easy enough to find foodservice jobs.
There's lot's of T-shirt shops...so screen printers must be abundant in the area..and
IT work is always in demand...it's also a fun town!!
Old 07-07-2010, 15:28   #3

sounds good, we'll have to check it out -- how about anchorage wise? relatively good? I know it's a big boating town.....that's about it is the town itself convenient to the water?
Old 07-07-2010, 15:45   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Baltimore and the District of Columbia are both accessible by boat, should there be job possibilities in those areas.
Old 07-07-2010, 15:54   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Try Deltaville BoatYard in Deltaville VA. I heard they might be looking for someone.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 16:10   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianontheroad View Post
sounds good, we'll have to check it out -- how about anchorage wise? relatively good? I know it's a big boating town.....that's about it is the town itself convenient to the water?
Yes, very.
Old 07-07-2010, 16:24   #7

How is Deltaville? I heard a few places up there were looking for folks -- I know Zimmerman's is hiring too
Old 07-07-2010, 16:43   #8

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
This thread my help as far as anchoring and transportation in Annapolis:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-dc-35377.html

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 16:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianontheroad View Post
How is Deltaville? I heard a few places up there were looking for folks -- I know Zimmerman's is hiring too
I like Deltaville but not much outside of boat work there from what I've seen. How about Solomon's? Might be more there in addition to the boat work. But for IT and hospitality work I would think DC, Annapolis or Baltimore.
Old 07-07-2010, 17:19   #10

we're pretty flexible -- we have some savings left -- but after the boat yard it's time to start putting money back in the kitty instead of taking it out by the truckload not necessarily looking for IT or hospitality, just looking for somewhere nice to live until hurricane season ends, they're just two areas I have a strong resume in, but I'd really rather find something a little more laid back, and after doing all this work on my own boat I'd like to keep on learning. I'm going to go for my captains license at some point during all this too
Old 07-07-2010, 17:28   #11

Dennisjay -- good tip on that DC thread, it definitely pointed towards Annapolis as a great place to live at anchor, on google maps Back Creek looks good, nice and protected
Old 08-07-2010, 12:27   #12

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Contact us via email. Annapolis is a good place to use as a base, all ends of the streets are by law free public dockage for dingies. We've been up and down the ICW three times and most other cities have only one dock and you have to pay to stay there. Go to www.usajobs.gov and www.monster.com and choose the DC area, there are hundreds of IT jobs always available and pay well. Boat jobs are available too, but pay 1/5th the amount of the IT jobs.

Dillon bus www.dillonbus.com is a very nice bus system, private, and affordable and used by professionals to get downtown DC and Baltimore from Annapolis, Deltaville is pretty isolated. Both DC and Baltimore have metros that will take you from there where ever you need to go. As to marinas, there are LOTs to choose from. I've got to admit that our marina is extremely live-aboard friendly as the marina manager is herself a live-aboard, www.annapolismarina.com . Either way, anchor in back creek, come over to our dock as a friend of ours and enjoy the pool and we'll get you situated.

Cheers!

Schoonerdog
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54   #13

I like the Annapolis idea. It's a little bit of a slog into DC and its IT jobs, but you can't beat the rent on the hook. Forget usajobs.gov as it will take six months to get a federal job, if you're lucky. Most federal IT work is contracted out anyway and the contractors can hire you on the spot. Your other half can find something to do in Annapolis. Bank as much as you can and get out of there before winter.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 16:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Bank as much as you can and get out of there before winter.
Or face this (and we were south of Annapolis)...
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2956.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	17649
Old 08-07-2010, 17:42   #15
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Doodles, I bet you are wishing for a bit of that this week
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maryland