Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 09:33   #76

Re: WE, are not slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
how old are you?
i ask because many Canadians, i personally know, have come to the US.
WHY? because they would have died in Canada.
WHY? because the wait for open heart surgery was 8 months.
so they came here, and paid, vs dying.
working? thats broken, not working.
and i do not recommend you circumvent the profanity filter.
Bullsh!t is still bullsh!t.

My personal experience with elderly relatives needing open-heart surgery is that they got it within HOURS of needing it. Nobody waits 8 months for acute care surgery in Canada.

The Canadian system is so well set up that the Canadian government WILL PAY to send a Canadian patient to a US facility, if there's a life-threatening wait in Canada. I know of NOT ONE Canadian who had to pay out of their own pocket for US treatment because they would have died otherwise.

Rich Canadians, like the rich anywhere, may choose to jump queues or seek out gold-plated health services elsewhere.

Lay off Canadian healthcare; you don't have the first clue about how good it is.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:34   #77
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This is bang on. Furthermore, it's a privilege to be part of a society where you can achieve enough financial clout to be able to own a house, and/or a boat, and to go just about anywhere you want, and to be free of the many privations, large and small, that beset the citizens of less-developed countries.

I don't cheer and sing when I pay my tax bills, but I have a better sense than some, it seems, about what I've been getting back.

I have freedom, in the best senses of the word. I still work, but I'm nobody's slave.

bad news, you do not own your house.
stop paying taxes, see who owns it.
let me give you a scenario. you get hurt, cannot work, are not covered by insurance. the disability is severe. you cannot pay taxes. you lose your house, shipped off to a home for disabled people run, poorly, by the government. who owns your house?

you can own a boat in any country, even mexicans have boats :P
privilege, to be part of this society? i laugh at that.
i would rather be Mexican right now.
i would rather be in Mogadishu. (only if i was black thou, they would kill my jew butt)
am i going to stay an American citizen? the America my father, and grandfather fought for? no. not for long. i am in the process of finding a new country to call home.
Russia is on the short list. You can be a Christian there without being oppressed. but its not a final decision. i was hoping our child would not be born here, but that cannot always be controlled.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37   #78
cruiser

Quote:

My personal experience with elderly relatives needing open-heart surgery is that they got it within HOURS of needing it. Nobody waits 8 months for acute care surgery in Canada.

The Canadian system is so well set up that the Canadian government WILL PAY to send a Canadian patient to a US facility, if there's a life-threatening wait in Canada. I know of NOT ONE Canadian who had to pay out of their own pocket for US treatment because they would have died otherwise.

Rich Canadians, like the rich anywhere, may choose to jump queues or seek out gold-plated health services elsewhere.

Lay off Canadian healthcare; you don't have the first clue about how good it is.

that's strange. you best go fix Wikipedia then to start with.
wikipedia, is not great, but it has a bit of basis in reality.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40   #79

Quote:
let me give you a scenario. you get hurt, cannot work, are not covered by insurance. the disability is severe. you cannot pay taxes. you lose your house, shipped off to a home for disabled people run, poorly, by the government. who owns your house?
I own my house, I can sell it and get the money, if circumstances warrant. Same decision most people will face in their lives. Your point?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41   #80

Quote:
that's strange. you best go fix Wikipedia then to start with.
wikipedia, is not great, but it has a bit of basis in reality.
Links?

Let me save you some trouble. The wait on elective surgery, like joint replacements can sometimes be long. Between my Dad and Mom, they received 3 replacement joints, the wait was not unreasonable, and my Dad was like a 40-year-old after the new hip which served him for 15 years. Go ahead - ask how much my Dad's hip cost him out of pocket.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42   #81
cruiser

Quote:
Bullsh!t is still bullsh!t

Then why don't you climb off your high horse and quit judging US healthcare? Take your own advice and "Lay off."

I pay HUGE healthcare premiums for services I don't need, so that does give me the right to be critical.... you on the other hand, don't have any skin in the game... and BTW, clean up your profanity.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Links?
does canada have a 4 week wait for google searches too?
Health care in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-09-2013, 09:45   #83
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Ok.

I can already see the rivalries from various Climate Threads sneaking into this thread.

Behave or we will close the threads AND issue warnings to the usual suspects.

We mods are worn out after the recent over the top threads - cut us a break would ya?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:

I had the "displeasure" of having to deal with canadian health care system,It was the the best thing I have ever seen when it comes to dealing with a hospital/doctors..fantastic system,the doc told me that the rich were in the same room as the bum off the street (unless he wanted to pay for an "up grade)..Dont know if Obamacare is going to be the same thing but if it is I would go for it,maybe,but not at the expense of sky high taxes thou,I want my cake and want to eat it too ...
Old 08-09-2013, 09:53   #85

You lost me on the Canadian healthcare system not being good and much better than what we have here.

But, I do share your views on some schools (7-12) need to be charged a lot. There are on-line classes and educational videos that can teach millions of kids at very little cost. Teaching cooperation between kids instead of competition between schools wouldn't be a bad thing either.

I could go on and on about how we should change the society to avoid the coming collapse and return to a technological version of the Amish, along with some control over how many kids people have since desperate humans are my biggest fear in the wild.

I would like to see a good 100% solar/wind powered boat design. I am trying to come up with one and think it could be done for much cheaper than what you estimated if you do things a little different and keep the weight down. Something that doesn't require hundreds of dollars of fuel to travel to where the weather is nice year after year would make the sustainability of cruising feasible... And I'm not saying that sails are bad, just that they are a lot more work and the mast height can be limiting in some places.

I also bike a lot of places now, and I have my kayak. I wouldn't have to worry too much about keeping entertained with a laptop and a good book.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:57   #86

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

These political rants are dull and really should be on some other location. Moderator, isn't there a warroom thread for this kind of stuff?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:00   #87

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
I mentioned Obamacare cos it's just a baby-step towards universal coverage, yet draws all the attacks. Mostly to stress that the US for whatever reason can't get their head around how much better a single-payer system would work AND cost less, but it's 'soshulizm', so it can't get to 1st base.
As a nurse, I say amen to this post. I can't wait for universal healthcare, it's coming, or a complete collapse of our system, we could not go on the way it was..that is reality.

Now I'll put my hard hat on and wait for the artillery to subside.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01   #88
cruiser

The only time I feel completely free, is when I'm cruising on our boat. Minimal needs, nobody telling us what to do or when to do it, no cars or insurance... we cycle everywhere. I believe Scoobert is at the point of saying... "he's had enough and he's not going to take it anymore!" I feel the same way most of the time, and believe this to be the spirit of his thread.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:09   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
bad news, you do not own your house.
stop paying taxes, see who owns it.

you can own a boat in any country, even mexicans have boats :P
privilege, to be part of this society? i laugh at that.
i would rather be Mexican right now.
i would rather be in Mogadishu. (only if i was black thou, they would kill my jew butt)
am i going to stay an American citizen? the America my father, and grandfather fought for? no. not for long. i am in the process of finding a new country to call home.
Russia is on the short list. You can be a Christian there without being oppressed. but its not a final decision. i was hoping our child would not be born here, but that cannot always be controlled.
Mexico has a very large jewish community,hell the place is run by them,very long history..When we experienced the mass exodus from south to north some years ago I was suprised to find that the ones that came here looked nothing like the ones that had all the power and control in the "country proper"(blond hair ,blue eyes),lot of my friends in Mexico happen to be Jewish decendents,good people....That idea about Russia is sound,I think either option is viable,good luck..
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
You lost me on the Canadian healthcare system not being good and much better than what we have here.

But, I do share your views on some schools (7-12) need to be charged a lot. There are on-line classes and educational videos that can teach millions of kids at very little cost. Teaching cooperation between kids instead of competition between schools wouldn't be a bad thing either.

I could go on and on about how we should change the society to avoid the coming collapse and return to a technological version of the Amish, along with some control over how many kids people have since desperate humans are my biggest fear in the wild.

I would like to see a good 100% solar/wind powered boat design. I am trying to come up with one and think it could be done for much cheaper than what you estimated if you do things a little different and keep the weight down. Something that doesn't require hundreds of dollars of fuel to travel to where the weather is nice year after year would make the sustainability of cruising feasible... And I'm not saying that sails are bad, just that they are a lot more work and the mast height can be limiting in some places.

I also bike a lot of places now, and I have my kayak. I wouldn't have to worry too much about keeping entertained with a laptop and a good book.

i was going to build on a bruce roberts 65MS hull.

as for schools. i don;t see a need for teachers.
a central location, with teachers, hooked into a internet video feed, going not only out to the american children, but freely offered to the world!
teachers aids would be needed in the classrooms, but that can be done on a short education.

the only reason i would not do sail is because over time they degrade, and need replaced. same with rigging.
Closed Thread