Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 13:57   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Washing Machine Onboard?

I have a Whirlpool compact washer & dryer on a power boat with enough room. These units are manufactured under most brand names at what appears to be in the same factory with just different features and front panel. I think the factory is in Italy. They are unreliable. In 3 years I have replaced the washer motor, motor and main circuit boards, (main circuit board twice and repaired the board once), water pump, and the dryer fan motor. Since I can fix things, I bought a used one for just for parts. New parts are VERY expensive. A motor and motor circuit board is about $500US. Main circuit board is $300. I'm looking for reliable replacements, but need to go thru a 24" WT door.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 15:29   #32

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Washing Machine Onboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
We're looking for a liveaboard and are considering whether we want a washer/dryer combo. It seems to me that often a thing sounds good on the surface, but real-life is different. I'm set on having a generator, so that's not an issue. Plus, we're older and we don't want to make this into primitive camping.

What's been your experience? If you have one, do you still use it? Are they delicate and break down easily?

Thanks!
I was raised as a sailor in England and crusty Yachtmaster instructors taught me that things like watermakers and washing machines were for wimps or for Americans. I went on to cross the Atlantic without watermaker, washing machine or engine for that matter. I was happy because I did not know better but did not have the guts to bring my wife along for a 3,000 mile passage in those conditions.

Years later I ended up sailing many thousands of miles on boats with (vented) Splendide WD2100XC washer dryers. they never failed. My wife came along for a 3,000 mile passage and was happy as a clam; I am sure this nifty gizmo made a difference. The only problem is that we find it difficult to adjust to our little boat without such a gadget!

Just make sure you test that at the genset loads that will be experienced when running the washer, the combination of genset, battery charger and watermaker will produce an AC waveform that does not make the washer-dryer go crazy. I saw a boat with such a problem and was a bit annoying until they came up with a filter to correct the problem.

Cheers

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing