Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 16:27   #121

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: The Live aboard stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW - you want to expand the liveaboard stereotype grouping? Go to a marina with a bunch of people living on their boats full time (could be stuck cruisers or could be people "living" there) and watch the various "liveaboard stereotypes" break up and regroup into the "marina queen bee" groups.
This is what I would like for you to share. As i am going to be living aboard (hopefully starting next year this time) but I will be working ashore and not cruising until at least the next 5-7 years. What kind of cliques have you encountered? Is it similar everywhere? Or are behaviours different in different places? I did well avoiding such in HS, and at work I keep out of gossip, I stay detached from that. I am just wondering what to expect in a small community as a live aboard.

I am social so it might be difficult for me to engage with the community but still stay outside of the day to day BS . How do you hanke it?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 16:29   #122

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think the real question to ask about liveaboard stereotypes is: Who is passing these around?

Mostly it is us, the boaters!

Yessar!

I do, for one. Mostly by giving bad example as criticized by so many: our deck is littered with propane tanks, crates with flower pots, canvas of own design to give us some shade.

And YES YES YES: we hang our laundry in the rigging so that every rich man who hates this view can justify their superiority and call the police to do something about it.

Where else could I hang it?

HOW TERRIBLE!

I am sure the world will end tomorrow and it is all because of those dirty hippie live-aboards !!!!!

;-)))
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 23:38   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
I am looking forward to shorts, a worn out tee shirt and flip flops as my formal wear.
Ummm, stereotype has no basis in reality...

By the way, we've done the liveaboard thing when life had us settled in one area for a couple years and it didn't make sense to buy a house...we used to joke about being homeless (still do just not liveaboards at the moment).

Get over it if you don't care what people think. With the exception of a few high demand areas, it's not a big problem getting a slip...you've probably done more to further the stereotype than anything else by dragging this thread out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 18:12   #124

Boat: Norseman 447

Without regards to the “condition” of the boat for a live aboard, take a look at one of my old haunts. The South Beach Marina in downtown San Francisco charges under $700/month for a 42’ boat. The median rent for a one-bedroom apartment is $2800/month. Is it any wonder they don’t want liveaboards?
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote