Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 07:18   #106
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: The Live aboard stereotype.

I think the real question to ask about liveaboard stereotypes is: Who is passing these around?

Mostly it is us, the boaters!
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think the real question to ask about liveaboard stereotypes is: Who is passing these around?

Mostly it is us, the boaters!
Exactly!! This is my point. And this is what I would like to change. This is why the term “Cruiser” was coined. An attempt to detach themselves from the live-aboard sterotype. Well like it or not cruisers if you live on your boat then your a live-aboard.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:05   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It's not about making oneself feel better about themselves. Owners could care less as long as it doesn't hurt profits. If liveaboard were more profitable, you would see them driving out weekenders.

A stereotype is far easier to implement than doing an assessment of each individual and most of the time there's enough truth to it that it's easier to address the occasional outlier and give them an exemption to the rule (ie: my earlier comment about how they forget to check if a cruiser in a well kept boat just happens to stay for a month...and then when he doesn't cause problems and keeps his boat ship shape, it evolves into years).

Keep in mind, doing that assessment takes time and effort (ie: it costs the owner money to have staff do this) and without simple rules, it can be very subjective (ie: people won't like it when you say their boat looks like @%#$).
Look, I am a free market capitalist. I have no grudge against a marina owner doing what ever is best for his business and profits. What I do have a problem with is the stigma that will be attached to me when I make the move to full time living on my boat.
So for the last time this is not a post about how a marina owner chooses to do business. It’s about people like you judging people like me based off of some preconceived notion that because I live on a boat I am low life trailer trash that can not afford a real home.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:19   #109

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I will say here in WA, my marina has a full capacity of liveaboards, and out of all of us, I'd say 1 of them is of the stereotype.

My experience is that we liveaboards do not low profits rather we increase hassle on management due to complaining about things.

Regardless if one lives aboard or just has a weekender, there will be people constantly coming to their boat, equipment is going to break, it's the cost of doing business.

For a financial aspect, my marina, like others, charge liveaboard fees. These fees should be at an appropriate level per person(not per boat) to cover wear and tear of our continued usage of things
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:27   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
So for the last time this is not a post about how a marina owner chooses to do business. It’s about people like you judging people like me based off of some preconceived notion that because I live on a boat I am low life trailer trash that can not afford a real home.
This from a person that doesn't want to be stigmatize as a cheap live-aboard, because of all the cheap liveaboards. You're worried about being seen as possibly homeless. You need not worry. All the liveaboards will greet you with open arms, and treat you fairly. Sadly it's the folks that don't live aboard that will look down on you. Doesn't matter what your boat looks like.

What I like about liveaboards, is they are neighbors that share a common Bond of enjoying being on the water. We talk to each other just like the 1940s and 50s before gated communities when people started hiding in their homes. Liveaboards come from all walks of life and all social strata. It's an absolutely lovely community.

If you're worried about being stigmatized as a low-life liveaboard, you're probably not ready for that lifestyle.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:41   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
This from a person that doesn't want to be stigmatize as a cheap live-aboard, because of all the cheap liveaboards.
I am not sure where you have gotten the notion in your head that I have a problem with “cheap liveaboards”. Like I replied to you before If it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg then live at let live.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:51   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM1968 View Post
I am not sure where you have gotten the notion in your head that I have a problem with “cheap liveaboards”. Like I replied to you before If it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg then live at let live.
You seem to be worry, that you will be seen at a lower social standing, by being a live-aboard. I was just saying that, yes, you will be seen as being someone lesser. Not by the liveaboards, but by land dwellers. I have experienced this myself. I used to make a six-figure income. Now I'm a boat bum-ette. I far prefer the latter.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:58   #113

Definitely don’t care how I am viewed in the social ladder. I too have spent my whole life climbing that damn ladder to nowhere and am looking forward to shorts, a worn out tee shirt and flip flops as my formal wear.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:27   #114

Well.

Some opinions seem doomed to polarize their listeners.

My preferences:
*** I am fond of SteamPunk, DieselPunk, MadMax, and WasteLand Weekend.
*** I admire a tarnished patina... including rust and nicely-greened coppers.
*** I eagerly seek home-built by working hands through an adaptive imagination instead of fancy chrome ordered from a catalog and installed by a five-star shop.
*** I am appalled by new; I appreciate re-purposed and 'found' objects.
*** I would not be comfortable around perfection, nor am I certain it exists.
*** Wabi Sabi == everyday human-induced imperfection.

Re-reading Ecclesiastes last weekend, I enjoyed the [paraphrased] wisdom of old King Solly:
*** 'None of it matters. You may as well chase the wind'.
I like his analogy!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:21   #115
CLOD

Is this thread now about winning and as such it is going to become useless petty bickering weak attack posts?

Just so I know how to plan.

BTW - you want to expand the liveaboard stereotype grouping? Go to a marina with a bunch of people living on their boats full time (could be stuck cruisers or could be people "living" there) and watch the various "liveaboard stereotypes" break up and regroup into the "marina queen bee" groups.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:05   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Is this thread now about winning and as such it is going to become useless petty bickering weak attack posts?
It appears so.

The main reason I joined this forum was to gather knowledge to prepare for my transition to the cruising/live-aboard life. But have become disheartened by all the negative remarks made about the live-aboard population. Not that I worry about what people will think of me personally. I just like to understand the situation I am getting into. I started this thread because although admittedly my experiences are very limited at this point, I have witnessed just the opposite from what I have seen and the people I have met so far. So I do not understand where this stereotype has come from.

I suppose it does greatly differ depending on where you are. All I can do at this point is move on, keep under the radar as best I can and hope for the best.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:56   #117
CLOD

Well WE are the "liveaboard" people. And as such I can say there are scum liveaboards and their stereotypes are correct. At same time there are neat, clean, good liveaboards and the stereotype for them is correct. And then there's the people in between and since they wouldn't take a side the stereotype for them is neutral and correct for them.

But in the real world it matters little what the stereotype is. If your boat is well kept and you don't make trouble there really overall isn't an anti-liveaboard issue and plenty of marinas will accept you even if they have a "no liveaboard" policy.

All stereotypes about liveaboard were caused by boaters, or made up by magic in the minds of someone who didn't like looking at boaters.

You need to move on to finding the roots of legends as it is just as achievable.
Old 10-07-2019, 13:03   #118

Yes I believe you are correct. Moving on to more important things. Like selling the house and getting rid of all that useless land crap I have accumulated over the years.
Old 10-07-2019, 14:15   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Can I inquire as to which marina this is?

We sure as heck don't have any 'liveaboard' marinas in NSW that I know of.
Buzzman, it is Hope Island Marina.
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 15:03   #120

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My impression was that most liveaboards gave up their dirt homes voluntarily to change their living style.