Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2013, 18:47   #16

Re: Stealing the dinghy - some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mct View Post
More serious gear is to be found at the motorbike shops, I think, not so easy to attack
The motorcycle thieves in Miami don't seem to have any trouble getting through the 3/4" thick cable locks in broad daylight, 40 feet in front of the window where I'm taking a snooze on the couch.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:52   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDuck View Post
I think the easiest thing would be if you stand on the beach with a big sign saying, "$5 dinghy tie-up and security". Then after you've got about 10 dinghies tied up (and $50 bucks), just ride off and tow them away. I can't think of an easier way to steal them.

That's what the OP was asking, right?
Go back to your video games.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post

I'm a little out of touch. What are you kids playing these days?
BattleDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:11   #19

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
I've thought about putting an access plate in the floor of my dink and when I beach, unscrew the cover and take it with me.
That's good idea, simple enough!
Old 20-08-2013, 19:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDuck View Post
I think the easiest thing would be if you stand on the beach with a big sign saying, "$5 dinghy tie-up and security". Then after you've got about 10 dinghies tied up (and $50 bucks), just ride off and tow them away. I can't think of an easier way to steal them.

That's what the OP was asking, right?

Quote:
Actually, he's not that far out there with this one.

When I lived up in Boston, some guy rented a security guard's uniform, brought a strong box over to an ATM machine late one Friday evening & put up a sign saying "ATM machine out of order, make night deposits in guarded strong box". Apparently, he got away with a fair amount of loot.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 18:59   #21

Boat: crappy old canoe
I use a cable with a combination lock. That way I don't have to worry about not losing the key.
bradweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 19:40   #22

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

We have an electric Torqeedo 1003. The electronics and computer control are in the tiller assembly. With its tiller extension, it looks like something out of Star Wars so naturally local kids like to play with it.

In defense, we've gotten into the habit of taking the entire tiller assembly with us when leaving the dinghy docked. Why would anyone steal THAT thing when there are so many nice petrol outboards around?

{Hint for others who have a Torq: My wife made a nice carry bag from cut-off jeans' legs. Draw string serves as an over-the-shoulder strap. Get fewer stares from the locals when the tiller is bagged.}
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 22:56   #23

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Anyone think having the oldest dinghy makes you safe think again. We had a 1998 Z,odiac with an equally as old Nissan 9.8 motor at the marina. Lots, and I do mean lots of nicer and newer inflatables all around not locked up. They took eour dinghy and left all the nice ones. I called the "wondrful" San Diego Harbor Police who treated me like a criminal for having my dinghy stolen and bothering them. Never saw the boat again, motor a different story but I can not prove it. The other day the joke police where at the dingy dock and retrieved a new looking expensive dinghy with console and a lot of other expensive equipment. So have a good looking boat and the joke police in San Diego will help you. Have a very good serviceable dinghy that means a lot to you but not them and you are out of luck.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 15:52   #24

In response to post #15... We cruised for quite a while with a Danny Greene Cameleon two piece dinghy that I painted pink just so it wouldn't be stolen. Whenever the oars needed repainting I changed the color..white, pink, green, purple. We never locked that dinghy and it finally just wore out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Swimming Pool 2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	67124  
Sharki127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:20   #25

My advice is get a bit of light weight chain and a decent lock and chain it to something substantial. Good luck.
filhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 22:00   #26
mub

Boat: wayquiez centurion 47
Can't talk for dinghy theft... Tend to leave the engine on the boat, unless we are staying with it.

But when I worked in england a car transporter turned up at the gate. The security guards let them is and they "collected'" 6 company cars for service.
Strangely none of the cars was ever seen again.

Mub
mub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 22:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
I like the idea of painting it all pink! who would like to steal a pink dingy or pink motor. lol
i spray painted my outboard green and pink
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 06:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Actually, he's not that far out there with this one.

When I lived up in Boston, some guy rented a security guard's uniform, brought a strong box over to an ATM machine late one Friday evening & put up a sign saying "ATM machine out of order, make night deposits in guarded strong box". Apparently, he got away with a fair amount of loot.
I had a friend from New Orleans who lost a car that way in Washington D.C. Pulled up in front of a restaurant, gave his keys to the nice looking man in the navy blue jacket, who gave him a piece of paper with a number on it.

After eating, he came out and couldn't find him, and went back in and asked the restaurant hostess where their valet was, and she said, "What valet?"

I like the idea of painting the dinghy and motor bright pink or neon green. Be hard for a thief to hide or sell it that way. And, you could put out a reward and probably get it back pretty quick.
Old 14-09-2013, 06:16   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The only people stealing dinghies are other cruisers - the local thieves only want the outboards (I have yet to meet a local who could even understand the idea of an inflatable boat - that's nuts to them).

I don't know about the painting thing. Seems like any thief wanting an engine can simply repaint it in 5 minutes with a $1 can of Krylon. The engine color doesn't matter in the stealing bit, and the engines are usually quickly sold to people who remove them from the area to sell elsewhere.

This painting idea may be one of those unexamined "common knowledge" things that everyone believes without any supporting data.

I do think it prevents other cruisers from stealing your stuff, because they will need to use it in the same playground you and your friends are in.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 06:37   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

many thieves here are not cruisers but they are souls with less income per year than most cruisers exhibit on deck.

easy answer to how not to have dink stolen is use walker bay. row.
i have had my wb unlocked for 3 yrs here in mexico, in many areas considered unsafe for dinks...
i have yet to know of a walker bay dink considered as something of value by potential thieves looking to supplement their income--there is no demand for them. everyone wants the inflatable with huge engine.
pangas use engines of all sizes. some bandidos sell back to cruisers. some sell to pangeros. some sell out of area. some just use it and leave it somewhere--relocated dinks have been retrieved from cabo corrientes and other locales across banderas bay from where they disappeared.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy