Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2014, 16:18   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Static Cling Window Film

I would like to put some tinted window film on my plexiglass windows to cut down on heat and UV. TAP plastics told me that because of thermal contraction/expansion I couldn't use the stuff with adhesive but would need the static cling film. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm wondering if the film will really stick in the sun and or other conditions and also if there are other problems I haven't thought about.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 16:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: static cling window film

Go the the Baby section in Walmart, they sell it for people to put on their car windows to keep the sun out of the Baby's eyes, it's just a small piece but will get you an idea, you can also buy it meant for airplanes as they have plastic windows too, but the Baby stuff is far cheaper.
Very difficult to apply it without any air bubbles, of course the adhesive stuff you apply wet and squeegee the air out, the only static stuff I have experience with is meant to be temporary, the plastic is much thicker, softer and flexible, never tried it wet with a squeegee maybe somebody else knows of another product
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 21:10   #3

Boat: Endeavour 37, 37'5"
Re: Static Cling Window Film

We purchased a roll from Home Depot and applied it to all of our ports. We did that in the spring and have had no issues with it coming off. It was a little bit of a pain trying to get all of the air bubbles out. We used a plastic scraper and misted water on the windows to get most of them out. We also picked up some reflectix that we cut out and put velcro dots on the corners to provide a little more privacy, darkness as well temperature regulation.

Jen liveaboard S/V Metta
Bainbridge Island, WA
MettaBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:51   #4

Boat: Mumby 48

Thank you very much! Did you apply it to the inside or outside? I want to protect the plastic windows as well as reducing heat etc. inside so I would like to apply it outside.

Are you saying you used the Reflectrix on the windows, also? It was attached with the velcro dots so it could be removed when desired to have light through or see out of the windows?
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:16   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

To get rid of pesky bubbles just prick lightly with a needle and press on the bubble!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind