Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 08:42   #1

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Wharram Tangaroa, Edel 35, Edel
SSR Liveaboards in Danger of Losing Boat Papers

The SSR have now changed their requirements which in effect means that if you are not actually in the UK for 185 days a year you no longer qualify for SSR documentation. So for liveaboard cruisers who intend to sail the world. You could end up like me without boat papers to check out with!! There must be thousands of cruisers that this is going to affect. Hopefully public pressure will force them to think logically.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
hydelotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:08   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
re: SSR Liveaboards in Danger of Losing Boat Papers

How is that any different? As far as I was aware you always had to be a UK resident to have the ssr.
Most people just keep quiet about it.
Has anything changed?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:31   #3

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Wharram Tangaroa, Edel 35, Edel

Yes if you want this registration you must be PHYSICALLY be in the UK for 185 days. So for genuine long distance cruisers (Not weekenders day sailing from UK), this just makes no sense at all. How can you sail around the world and be in the UK at the same time?

Old 12-09-2014, 09:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydelotter View Post
Yes if you want this registration you must be PHYSICALLY be in the UK for 185 days. So for genuine long distance cruisers (Not weekenders day sailing from UK), this just makes no sense at all. How can you sail around the world and be in the UK at the same time?

no matter where we pysically are we maintain a mailing address,bank accounts etc in the uk,even pay tax there in our abcence,not had any problems so far with the ssr
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: SSR Liveaboards in Danger of Losing Boat Papers

Well.. since DVLC took over the SSR.. its just been a matter of time.. go Part 1.. costs more initially (miss the old 'Blue Book'.. that had class) but its worth it in many ways..
It is proof of ownership.. so no more carting round the bill of sale.. you are entered in Lloyd's Registry and get a proper Call Sign and it lasts the life of the boat..
Shame it just a sheet of A4 these days.. maybe we should petition for the return of the 'Blue Book'... feels so much more value for money..
Bring back the 'Blue' in boating..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:49   #6

The new rule as of today is that you must physically be in the UK for 185 days each year and you will be required to prove that with documented evidence, in order to renew, keep or register a new boat. Some clever armchair sailor dreamt this up!

Old 12-09-2014, 09:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: SSR Liveaboards in Danger of Losing Boat Papers

Quote:
The new rule as of today is that you must physically be in the UK for 185 days each year and you will be required to prove that with documented evidence, in order to renew, keep or register a new boat. Some clever armchair sailor dreamt this up!

Could be a case of Information Overload on CF...
I contributed..
I can think of a few times SSR ease of availability has been discussed in the past.. how to get round the fences.. sooner or later they're bound to close the loopholes.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:18   #8
cruiser

Quote:

Do you have a link? The 185 days was always there with the UK resident requirement but they didn't seem to bothered checking.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:53   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Yep, a link would be good. I spend at least 8 months of a year outside of the UK, have done so for over 35 years, not all that time on a sail boat, but at sea at least.

And I'm with boaty, bring back the blue book, that was proper registration.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:10   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: SSR Liveaboards in Danger of Losing Boat Papers

Question:

What problems arise with a vessel registered in a family members name?

Will there be issues of using the vessel out of British waters if you have written notarized permission from the "owner" to captain the vessel non commercially?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:26   #11

I dont have a link, just the several emails received today from them upon reregistration attempt. My best advice is that if you already have it, be grateful and be quiet.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:10   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I lifted this from the guidance notes

3) Who may register a small ship?
A small ship may be registered if it is owned by one or more of the following persons who are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK:-
  • British citizens
  • Persons who are nationals of a European Union or European Economic Area country other than the United Kingdom and are established * in the UK
  • British Dependant Territories citizens; British Overseas citizens; persons who under the British Nationality Act 1991 are British subjects; persons who under the Hong Kong (British Nationality) Order are British Nationals Overseas, and
  • Commonwealth citizens not falling within those paragraphs.
* Established It is not sufficient to live in the UK to be established in accordance with Articles 48 and 52 of the EU Treaty. To be established a person must make an economic contribution to the UK by being the proprietor of a business, being employed, or having very recently retired from such employment. i.e. within the last 6 months. If you have any doubts about your establishment you should consult the Registry.

4) What does ordinarily resident mean?
For the purposes of registering a ship it means living and sleeping in the UK for a significant part of the year. A person may be considered to be ordinarily resident in the country in which they live for a period of, or periods, which collectively amount to 185 days or more in a twelve month period. If you are resident in the UK for tax purposes, you will generally be regarded as resident for the purpose of registration.

So, my guess is that if you are resident for tax purposes, you should be OK.
That leaves me in a bit of grey area, as I work on Danish registered ships, so I fall under their tax system, but I am also resident in the UK for tax purposes due to the Double Taxation treaty between UK and Denmark.
However, in my case, the boat is also registered under my GF's name as well as my own, and she definitely is UK resident.

I need to re-register the boat next year, so I might have to distort the truth a bit if they actually mean you have to be in the UK for the 185 days.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 16:54   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post

So, my guess is that if you are resident for tax purposes, you should be OK.
Sounds like nothing has actually changed, AFAIK it's been like that for years. Just be careful where the credit card you use to pay is registered and have a real address.......

Tags
danger, liveaboard