Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 10:25   #1

Recommendations for future live abords.

Hello all,

My fiancé and I have recently been talking about the possibility of living on a boat. We currently live in Atlanta Georgia but with his job he is always traveling so living along the coast would not be a big deal. We are both young and have no real boating experience, but are very eager to learn! My family had a boat when I was younger but that's the only experience I have. We know it will take time and money but we are just not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
So, how can we get boat experience (driving, cleaning, maintenance etc.) without having to pay a bunch of money?
Also what type of boat is best to live on? We have seen different things about sail boats and we are just not sure what would be the best for us. We do also have a dog and would want to keep the boat docked most of the time for work purposes.
I have recently read that Georgia does not actually allow live abords. What are some close areas (north Florida? South Carolina?) that would be good for us?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!!
KandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 10:47   #2

Boat: Islander Bahama 24'
My wife and I decided we would like to retire to live aboard. As we have little to no sailing experience, and understanding that most who shove off reach their first port sell the boat and fly home, we want to be sure before we make a major purchase.

We bought a smaller boat. We will spend the next couple of years learning to be sailors in our pocket cruiser. At some point we intend to park her in a marina and see what life aboard is really like. After a year if we find ourselves saying "life is good if only she weren't so small. We will find ourselves something in the 30-35 foot range.

We think this is a good solid plan. If we hate life aboard our day sailor is all we need. I suspect we will love it. One can't be too sure. We are accustomed to our comforts and unless you have deep pockets life at sea is a fairly minimalist lifestyle.
Old 26-05-2013, 15:18   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Recommendations for future live abords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandK View Post
---
Also what type of boat is best to live on? We have seen different things about sail boats and we are just not sure what would be the best for us. ---
I have recently read that Georgia does not actually allow live abords. ----
I'd suggest learning to sail on small boats first. Should be lessons available on Lake Lanier. If you don't like it than that eliminates one question.
As far as living aboard, I believe the Ga. law has been modified to make it possible.
Old 26-05-2013, 15:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

If you plan to live aboard while working regular shoreside jobs. I would recommend a location that allows for quick and easy sailing where there are low cost liveaboard friendly marinas. The best possiblity for this and close to your area is in the Staint Johns river between Jacksonville and Green Cove Springs
Old 29-05-2013, 08:35   #5

Boat: Tashing TaShiba 36ft

My family is also in the process of moving aboard. We live in savannah Ga. Have you considered living further south?
dearmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 15:29   #6

Safe harbor boys home is looking for live aboard staff to work 10 to 15 hours a week teaching and training their adolescent students who all live aboard their own boat! Check them out at boyshome.com
RobbieSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 06:54   #7

Hi KandK,
My wife and I are experienced sailors and have recently sold the house and belongings. We will move aboard in Sept. We have read everything we could re: cruising. My suggestion...a copy of " The Cruising Life" by Jim Trefethen. Should answer most of your questions. Enjoy.
beeson is offline   Reply With Quote