Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 06:30   #1

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E
Recommendations-headlamps

Which headlamps have you found work well?
Desirable features?
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 06:51   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Recommendations-headlamps

PETZL

Most important feature: can turn red lamp on and off without cycling through white.

They are compact, comfortable, efficient, and durable.
Old 18-10-2018, 07:20   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Look for IPX7 rated lights...lower IPX ratings are just water resistant. IPX7 is not much more expensive.

Lights w a last mode memory are convenient. They turn on in last mode used and stay in that mode if no button press in ~5 sec. One press and off...not cycle thru 15 modes and then off (I dont like lights w a bunch of rarely/never used modes).

USB rechargeable lights are handy. So far Ive gotten good battery life out of them, but once they are dead, they are done. If you get one be sure it uses a common USB connector type and not something unusual like a pin...then you have to carry an adaptor around all the time.

I like Foxelli. They have lights w above features, good quality, reasonable prices.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 08:44   #4

My personal #1 criteria is not to have to cycle through half a dozen functions. For some reason the geeks that design these things think lots of functions are cool..... they are NOT. Just a nuisance. The options should be simple..... red or white, high or low, and the light should return to the previously used mode. Most seem not to be designed for real world use. An external battery pack is nice for the extended time, but the connecting wire is vulnerable enough that I would not go that way again. My optimal light would have rechargeable lithium button batteries in the head band to avoid either a large bulky battery pack on the back of your head, or a bulky actual light, or an external pack. It would have as red / white selector, and an on / off . One of the two functions would also have high/lo. Alternatively a long press to change color, a short one for bright dim, and a double tap for off.....or some such. One should NEVER have to cycle through modes or colors.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 10:48   #5

Boat: Beneteau first 26

This is what I have been using , cheap and reliable , rechargeable and most importantly you can turn on the red light without turning on the white .
ZPAA Head Torchlight Sensor LED Headlamp With Red Light USB Rechargeable outdoor Head Lamp Flashlight Waterproof for Running
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5MmJSnf
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 19:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
This is what I have been using , cheap and reliable , rechargeable and most importantly you can turn on the red light without turning on the white .
ZPAA Head Torchlight Sensor LED Headlamp With Red Light USB Rechargeable outdoor Head Lamp Flashlight Waterproof for Running
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/5MmJSnf

I wonder if it's ever occurred to these people to hire a real English speaker to write their descriptions??

I must admit that their English is far superior to my Chinese ;-)
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:19   #7

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Don’t get too excited by the red feature. It seems that it is becoming clearer that red is not any more protective of night vision then a similarly dim white or blue light. It is the ability to vary the intensity to a suitable night setting that is probably the most important.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 16:57   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The one I use says "Energizer" on its strap. It has one red LED, and 3 white ones. The white ones have high power come on, then push again for lower power. The red is the dimmest of the lot, and is adequate to make pencil recordings of data in our deck log in the dark. It is still bright enough to impair glare recovery. Just one button does, red, bright white, less bright white, and off. It cost under $10, about 4 years ago. The elastic in the band is starting to get weird, now, and I will replace it with elastic from the yardage shop. The batteries are not rechargeable.

Ann
Old 20-10-2018, 17:48   #9

MANTUS (the anchor people)

Long battery life (My #1 need)
Red always first to come on(My #2 need)

Low comes on before high, as it should (usefully bright) and then High (very bright)
Good straps that hold well and are easy to adjust.

Waterproof.

We have 4 on board.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 18:37   #10

I second the Mantus dive headlamp, which was redesigned for 2018 to be more compact and lighter. Usb charged and usable light settings for most situations plus diveable to 30 ft. Someone at Mantus Marine may read this thread and make further adjustments according to some of the desires in some of the posts. One can hope thats how evolution occurs lol!
Old 20-10-2018, 18:56   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We used to buy just the Petzl ones too, but have now switched to the Energizer branded with red light and last position memory. You can get them from HomeDepot of Lowes on sale for $15. What ever mode and color you last had is the first to come on.... pause a second, and you can turn it off without having to cycle.

Matt
Old 24-10-2018, 22:30   #12

Black Diamond Storm.
With recharge battery.

Just love them.

Sorry for my bad spelling
Boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 19:10   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The one I use says "Energizer" on its strap. It has one red LED, and 3 white ones. The white ones have high power come on, then push again for lower power. The red is the dimmest of the lot, and is adequate to make pencil recordings of data in our deck log in the dark. It is still bright enough to impair glare recovery. Just one button does, red, bright white, less bright white, and off. It cost under $10, about 4 years ago. The elastic in the band is starting to get weird, now, and I will replace it with elastic from the yardage shop. The batteries are not rechargeable.

Ann
I have had a couple of these for many years. Love em.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 22:05   #14

Boat: between boats

One that has a rechargeable battery but also allows standard AAA as alternative.

And I'll second what was previously said that it's nice for it to have a standard USB recharging plug versus proprietary.

I'm using a Petzl currently.
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, men