Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 15:20   #1

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Headlamps

I have used the eveready headlamps for several years. Theu are useful for deckwork and reading in the cockpit at night. Their compact style is nice. I have problems with durabilty though, they only last a few months. I tried more expensive lights from REI but got even shorter life. Does anyone have a better brand and source?
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 15:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: headlamps

No,but watching the thread cause I have the same question.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 15:57   #3

Eat more carrots
tayana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:16   #4

Boat: Alberg #0
Petzl was the brand that defined the market sector Hmong hikers from what I remember from 25 years ago. Not cheap but worth the money if you can make it happen. A gQuick search on google or amazon should give you some good starting points.

Cheers, Paul.

P.S. I would skip the carrots and buy one with a red LED setting for night use :-)
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:18   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
I have used Petzl headlamps while kayaking with good results. The biggest problem I have had is they are too bright, so I wear the lamp ABOVE the brim of my cap. I did not use it full time only for a second or two if I needed to read a chart, etc...

How are yours failing on you???
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:31   #6

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I have used Petzl headlamps while kayaking with good results. The biggest problem I have had is they are too bright, so I wear the lamp ABOVE the brim of my cap. I did not use it full time only for a second or two if I needed to read a chart, etc...

How are yours failing on you???
Moisture gets in, not particularly water engress and the electrics give up. I found petzel too bulky in their past models. The eveready is a nice size and the three light selection is good but annoying to toggle through. The diamond from REI would come on at the last selected level but fell apart and no customer support for a pricey item. So far my best option is to buy enough everready and vacum bag spares for when they are not available in my travels
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:38   #7

Boat: Lock Crowthers, Buccaneer, B26
The LED headlamp made and sold by photonlight is a workhorse and worth every penny! I purchased one of the first models over 10 years ago and it still works. They also make many other items with LED lights.

Cheers
B26
B26Trimaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:59   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Petzl was the brand that defined the market sector Hmong hikers from what I remember from 25 years ago.
OK, this one made me do a double take. The tribesmen from the mountains of Vietnam use Petzl lights when they're hiking? Then I realized it was a typo but it was still funny.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:12   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
Moisture gets in, not particularly water engress and the electrics give up. I found petzel too bulky in their past models. The eveready is a nice size and the three light selection is good but annoying to toggle through. The diamond from REI would come on at the last selected level but fell apart and no customer support for a pricey item. So far my best option is to buy enough everready and vacum bag spares for when they are not available in my travels

Check out the Petzl Tackktika, it is the new version of the one I have. Never thought they were that heavy, but some have accused me of thick-headedness so perhaps that developed my neck muscles .

When I had problems with the battery case on my GPS, I used to smear a thin layer of die-electric grease where the cover met the case. This enhanced the waterproof seal. That might help with the Everready ones you like.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I use the coast HL7. Sure makes overhauling a diesel easy. Least wise in the lazzerette.

HL7 - LED Headlamps
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:52   #11

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

My wife and I have used Petzl headlamps regularly for 2 months a year for the last 7 years. I have to repair them periodically. Kapton tape or aluminum foil tape seems to work reasonably well. I also have one made by Princeton, which is a much better design. Billr
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 18:36   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The HL7 is water resistant. I wonder what a good rain would do to it, or salt spray.

The Princeton Tec ViZZ is waterproof to 1 meter.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 18:51   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I buy the Brinkman's from Home Depot-- $5 apiece with red and white led's.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 18:54   #14

Boat: Valiant 40-169

On the Attainable Adventure Cruising website John Harries recommended the Fenix brand as the best headlamp he had found. I bought the H11 version which has a single Cree LED and is rated at 260 lumens on high setting. It is very bright but they also make the H15 with two Cree LEDs and rated at 500 lumens. I think that one would illuminate the top of your mast. The H11 lamp housing is metal while the frame that allows it to pivot up or down is plastic, I think. The unit runs on 4 AA batteries in a case attached to the back of the head strap. I use it frequently when working on stuff. The only issue I have had is that because of the weight it will fall off if you are more or less upside down.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 19:07   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
On the Attainable Adventure Cruising website John Harries recommended the Fenix brand as the best headlamp he had found. I bought the H11 version which has a single Cree LED and is rated at 260 lumens on high setting.
Red light?
Waterproof?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head