Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 20:59   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Real ID issues?

Well yes that's true. Though there was no actual mail delivery to the boats old address. Or the one before that for that matter.

Really I've not had a actual physical address for going on 10 years now. Which is why I was worried about the real id. It would be a problem if I ever moved somewhere else and needed a new ID. But not worried for now.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBruce View Post
I just received a replacement DL in NY with my PO Box as my address. I also have checking and credit card with the PO Box as the only address. I gave the DMV my street address but said I was moving and would prefer the PO Box and they didn't blink an eye!
Has NY implemented Real ID?

I believe Kettlewell specifically asked about states that have implemented Real ID.

Under the Patriot Act of 2005, using a pob/pbm is illegal for primary address. Try applying for a new credit card and using only a pob/pbm.. they legally cannot accept it, nor can any state that is real id compliant accept a pob/pbm.

just a fyi, never ever give your drivers license or BC for ID.. use your passport. It establishes, in the US, that is, your nationality/citizenship and your identity. It contains just enough info to satisfy your doc's requirements or any other requirement. Make sure you ask for your copy they made of your ID back. IF you had over your DL there is an awful lot of info on it that can be copied.. that black strip on the back? It contains ALL your info. Your BC has your mother's maiden name....and how many times has this or that company used your mom's maiden name as a id verifier.

With Regards to real id. While I am active in the anti real id movement.. I have been slack in my keeping up with it lately due to a major house renovation coupled with the boat stuff.. I can tell you that at last count 26 states had opted out of it, due, mostly to either privacy or cost considerations. AZ and SC and one other state, I think NM have constitutional amendments against it being implemented in their states. The pro real id movement will list both as "implementing" real id.. not entirely true... states are moving to close the gap in proof of identity in an effort to combat illegal immigration, not terrorism.

For those of you in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, you hold the distinction of being in the top two or three states that blithely give out ID/DL to illegal immigrants on a wholesale basis.

Real ID is ONLY good for planes and federal buildings... IF even one state refuses to implement real id, then it is a bust. If you follow it, the full implementation date consistently gets shoved back a yr or two at a time since 2008. Why? because the states simply refuse to be burdened by the enormous costs of implementation... florida shoved it off on its citizens by higher fees across the board in everything not just DL/IDs.

I guess how you feel about Real ID all depends solely on your political bent... btw.. Back when it was implemented I started screeching about my privacy rights. Oddly at the time I was on a military based chatboard.. I was accused of having something to hide. yeah sure.. then when that same crowd had to comply or thought they had to comply were backing my comments up unknowingly. I found that too amusing for words. Never ever every give up one iota of your privacy because someone tells you, "its the law" or uses that line, "what have you got to hide"..<--taught in police academy to get a person to guilt trip them into voluntarily giving up 4th amendment rights.

Controversy over implementation of REAL ID Act

The ACLU no longer really keeps up this page as this is old news to them.. sadly they should work to repeal real id..
Real Nightmare

As I said previously... IF you are moving to fla go to the gather go get website. It is the final say in what you need to arrive at the dmv with. Not any of us on this board.
'bella
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You THINK you have a CDL with a PO Box as address, because that's what it says on the front. The DMV also has a street address for you--probably the last one you gave them.

I had my CDL and car registered to the PO Box, but my parking ticket went to the old street address-good thing I found out about it before they threw me in jail.

The other gotcha with the DMV and the PO box is I have the PO box mail forwarded to me when I am in the US, and the driver's license renewals say 'do not forward'.
The problem is easily solved by a relative or willing friend allowing you to use them for your perm address. I just did this for a friend. They registered to vote using my address, had some government mail sent to them and I created a "lease" as my renters (of my mailbox) there are ways around this to get the required proof of physical address to make "the man" happy. My friends live aboard, NO marina and probably will never have a real US address, other than mine, again. I was happy to help them out.

Mail to a physical street address in your name, from something like supervisor of elections, Social Security, the VA, etc qualifies as documentation of address. My friend has his meds from the VA sent here, his VA official address is my house, voters id.. there is always more than one way to skin a cat and walk an end game around this kind of BS. Think outside the box..isn't that what sailors are most excellent at???
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50   #34

Boat: Carter offshore 35

When the tax man comes for the tax on your boat tell him to mail the bill to you. When you receive it you'll have your address and if you don't get one, how much is the fine for driving without a license?
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
When the tax man comes for the tax on your boat tell him to mail the bill to you. When you receive it you'll have your address and if you don't get one, how much is the fine for driving without a license?
Unless that is a rhetorical question.. it all depends on the state.

IN Florida you get arrested immed for driving without a license now.
Fines depend on a lot... IF the judge is nice he might dismiss it once you prove you have a license and only charge you court fees.. it just all depends.. last time I Had to deal with this.. was before oct 2009 when fees went up court fees in Hillsborough County in 2001 were $148.

After the fees went up.. take for instance getting caught on a red light camera coming to a rolling stop at a red light making a right turn.. it is now $158 for the ticket.. don't ask how I know..

ps...Florida has NO tax on boats.. and IF you boat is over 20 yrs old or is it 30 yrs.. the registration fee is something like $4/yr.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:46   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Real ID is a USA law, so it won't affect those outside the USA. Maybe it isn't a problem. I haven't tried this recently since the laws went into effect. Here's what one state wants. It seems like the bank statement is a way around the problem, but I know the banks also require you to prove where you live--I'm not sure what they ask for. Keep in mind I'm sure it is different in each state, and so far it doesn't sound like anyone is having a problem with this.
Is this from the Florida site?

yes there are numerous problems with complying with real Id. .most have to do with such things as other than your address.. no birth certificate being a biggie... or name screwups by the state or that you have used one name and your bc and progression of names don't match.. lots of real problems.. its insane and at times costly for the individual.

IF you are thinking Florida I can help and please look at the gather go get site.. you can customize the documents you need to fit what you have or you can get.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:56   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Ah, but some of us only have a PMB for a mailing address. Many marinas I've stayed at would not receive mail for boaters there. Though the taxman does not have a problem mailing bills to a PMB. While I have a new drivers license, I get around by foot or bus so no worries about tickets, or gas prices for that matter.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:23   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Someone finally found a good reason to live in one of the few states that has personal property tax.

Except, the tax men really don't care if you receive the tax bill. As long as they mail it to an address of record, either you pay, or you pay plus penalties and interest and not receiving the bill is not an excuse for not anticipating and paying it.

So they win either way.

And having a mailing address, still doesn't affect the federal requirement that you have a residence address which meets the state criteria for residency. Residency, not mail reception.

Until and unless someone figures out a way to force the courts to hear a case and mandate a uniform definition of "residency"....Some state agencies will accept "general delivery" at a local post office, others won't. And some folks are just happy to make a little side money accepting mail for you. The system still allows that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25   #39

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

It all depends on the state you live in.

I was a live aboard in California, while at Oyster Point my address was a PO box in South San Francisco and I used the PO address on my drivers license.

I had more hassles when I returned from cruising and moved to Washington state for the first time with just a passport as an ID. Establishing credit and renting an apartment after living in the Caribbean on a boat for 10 years was interesting.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27   #40

Boat: Morgan 416

The good news is that when we move aboard in a couple weeks we'll be using my son in laws street address.
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38   #41

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The good news is that when we move aboard in a couple weeks we'll be using my son in laws street address.
I've always used a trusted relative's street address in the past as my official residence, even if I was using a mailing service to receive and deliver most of my mail, and that system has worked well. Sometimes it is actually handy having two addresses for various reasons.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:42   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
And having a mailing address, still doesn't affect the federal requirement that you have a residence address which meets the state criteria for residency. Residency, not mail reception.
Actually the federal government does recognize a boat or RV as a residence. So does California for that matter. I can claim homestead exemption on the boat I live on. As well as claim a tax credit for solar or wind installed on a live aboard boat. All above board and legal. Gee even the IRS has my PO box address.

The only real issue is proving a fixed domicile, which the real ID would require.
Old 12-04-2013, 15:48   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sure, the boat is recognized as an address,- certainly by the census bureau. As I said above, the SBI address is recognized by the state department of motor vehicles and the IRS. Now I read of people complaining that they can't be properly recognized when they don't have a birth certificate or a social secuity number,.....well, duh! If you don't pursue the most basic forms of identification and attempt to not be recognized; then, you might not be recognized! You can't "fly under the radar" and expect the benefits of being seen on "radar".
Old 12-04-2013, 15:59   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Leaving all the politics out of it, please, does anyone have any problems with the Real ID Act causing difficulties for full-time liveaboards?

I don't have any real problem with having to prove who you are in order to get an ID.
Old 12-04-2013, 16:10   #45

Worst case scenario, most homeless shelters have recognised 'residence' addresses in state databases. If all else fails, use one of those.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote