Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 09:38   #1

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
People who think cruising will be lollipops and unicorns...

Only to throw in the towel in less than a year. What were they thinking?

Moving from 2000 sq feet to 200 sq feet? Could have challenges.

Moving from land to a moving sea? Could have challenges.

Moving from a very developed nation to depending on the services of less developed nations using a different language? Could have challenges.

Moving from great utility, internet, smartphone, and television services to who knows? Could have challenges.

Moving from calling an expert to having to do most maintenance ourselves? Could have challenges.

Moving from a couple storms/year to pretty common weather threats? Could have challenges.

I remain undeterred. Not because I expect lollipops and unicorns. I seek adventure, freedom, and exploration. Escaping social/economic unrest and grotesquely unfair property taxes also squarely enter the picture.

Social/economic unrest? It will be too late when, and if, it arrives. Some see it coming. Most just want the remote with some chips and beer.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:06   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: People who think cruising will be lollipops and unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Only to throw in the towel in less than a year. What were they thinking?
With major lifestyle changes you're only going to know how they will affect you by doing them. As long as you've laid out a "plan b" to handle if you don't like things, I see no problem with experimenting with life.

I just sold my old boat, and need to do repairs on the new boat before I can move aboard so am in an exteneded-stay motel. Hate living on land now lol.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:52   #3

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
With major lifestyle changes you're only going to know how they will affect you by doing them. As long as you've laid out a "plan b" to handle if you don't like things, I see no problem with experimenting with life.

I just sold my old boat, and need to do repairs on the new boat before I can move aboard so am in an exteneded-stay motel. Hate living on land now lol.
I've seen estimates that as many of 1/3 of immigrants to the U.S. between 1880 and 1910 turned around and went back home.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Escaping social/economic unrest and grotesquely unfair property taxes also squarely enter the picture.
Terrible reasons to go cruising.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14   #5

I listed five reasons. You latched unto #4 and #5. People from Russia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Italy, Germany, France, gypsies, Jews and others would have looked pretty smart if they went cruising in 1937 or so. There are hundreds of other examples. Societies in turmoil are extremely common. Turmoil often precedes civil wars.

Escaping unreasonable tax burdens always has a great argument. Power corrupts while governments always seek more power. The destiny of government is to become a crime syndicate.

To reiterate: "I seek adventure, freedom, and exploration."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Terrible reasons to go cruising.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wait. I have to clean up after the unicorns and NO ONE GAVE ME ANY LOLIPOPS.
Did I get cheated?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26   #7

Adventure, freedom, and exploration. Great reasons. The other reasons? Meh. Makes you sound like a kook and dilutes the significance of the other reasons.

Unless the other reasons are really ancillary to the kooky reasons, in which case keep the flags of discontent flying. Remember, never trust anyone over thrity!!!

Old 12-07-2017, 12:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Adventure, freedom, and exploration. Great reasons. The other reasons? Meh. Makes you sound like a kook and dilutes the significance of the other reasons. Unless the other reasons are really ancillary to the kooky reasons, in which case rock on!!!

"Makes you sound like a kook" I don't think that people that worry unduly about the opinions of others are likely to be cut out for a life at sea. Thats just me though.

Since when was "sounding like a kook" a bad thing? Here are 100 people who sounded quite kooky at times: Greatest Minds of All Time | List of Genius Thinkers in History

The list would be quite different but so many have been killed for proffering unique perspectives.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:59   #9

Completely understand. Totally agree. Also, if you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you, so there is always that. Happy sailing!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:59   #10
cruiser

I think the biggest killers of the cruising dream seem to be persistant fixing of stuff, missed family, grandchildren and health.

We found the solutions to be... carry spares for everything and be handy, do a six months on then six months off plan and don't get sick.

I know one fellow who doesn't carry any spares, says his credit card takes care of it... as he cruises from one shipyard to the next in his nearly new Lagoon 450.

You need spares parts and tools.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 13:18   #11

Boat: Still looking

Some, like me, prefer small spaces and the excitement of exploration and travel. Life is too short for shoulda-coulda-woulda...nothing is easy, but a lolipop would be nice along the way. Pass on the unicorn.
Carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:10   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Are you running from something or running to something. If it's the former I hope you don't bring it with you. If it's the latter I hope you find it. For me cruising works because I love boats, I love boating, I love the water & I love being on the water.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:23   #13

Yep, I've known a few who divorced pretty quick after setting off. The dream ain’t always what you think. One couple spent a couple years getting the boat ready, headed down the coast and she left the boat in California. He did too eventually.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:32   #14

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Wait. I have to clean up after the unicorns and NO ONE GAVE ME ANY LOLIPOPS.

Did I get cheated?

You need better unicorns!!

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I think the biggest killers of the cruising dream seem to be persistant fixing of stuff, missed family, grandchildren and health.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know one fellow who doesn't carry any spares, says his credit card takes care of it... as he cruises from one shipyard to the next in his nearly new Lagoon 450.

You need spares parts and tools.
I wouldn't miss my family at all. But then again I left them behind in 1975 when I moved overseas, so I had some early "practice." Ever hear those Horrible Thanksgiving Dinner family stories? What's with this family crap? Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation anyone?

Don't (unfortunately?) have any grandkids, wouldn't know.

Agree completely about repairs and spares. But I do recognize that there are some people who like cruising who don't know which end of a screwdriver to use. Seems you either learn to do it, or do what Ken described (which doesn't sound like much fun).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising