Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 22:04   #1

Boat: Not Yet
Opinions, Please, for Future Liveaboard

I am a 20 yr old living aboard in two years and wanted to know some opinions on what i should be doing during that time to prepare myself for living aboard and sailing. I also would like to know what sizes of boats can be saied by one person well. Also what brands should i be looking for? Friend said to never get an O'day that is all i know. Thank you for all your help in advance!
Just Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 22:05   #2

Boat: Not Yet
oh and should have 10000 saved up in two years for the boat question.
Just Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 22:39   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Where do you intend to sail? What kind of sailing and distance do you intend to put on the boat? What draft are you thinking about for this boat? What do you consider basic minimum comfort levels? Room for storing food and water and gear all depend on the above questions. Number of people (significant other?) What is the weather like where you intend to sail/live? How handy are you at fixing things? That would make a difference on the state of the boat you need to find. A fixer upper can put you in the poor house and off boating if it overwhelms you. Spend all your time working on the boat till all your money is gone and your enthusiasm too. Mono or Multi or either? Are you going to work after you buy the boat or are you building a cruising kitty? Do you intend to live on the hook or is marina life more the style? Marina life with a storage shed (or a van like a friend of mine) and short trips require a lot less boat. I guess I’m saying a smig more info might help answer some of your questions.
Never too soon to start
I wish I had come to this life a lot sooner
Good luck
Gary
Old 10-01-2010, 23:27   #4

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
The swipe at O'day by your friend is nonsense. They were at the upper tier of the production boats during their time. Everytime I hear of a poor design with other production boats of the '80s, I go check mine, and I have so far been happy to find that my O'day has the proper build so far.

I,ve been living aboard my boat for almost two years and all I can say is don't accumulate things that you will need to store or get rid of once you move on.

Goodluck and best regards
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55   #5

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Is View Post
oh and should have 10000 saved up in two years for the boat question.

Living in “the small…” is an art form and as Gary pointed out a lot depends on your specific situation and auxiliary storage available… are you living aboard and maintaining a 9-5 job ashore, especially one that requires coat and tie, or are you cruising with no, or only itinerate, employment… your wardrobe will dictate much of how much storage you need when full-time employed and your cruising time away from shore-service how much storage you need for food/water etc… I’d glance at the other discussions about “small” sized vessels as many of the arguments pro and con, large and small, new or old, cut-rate or pricey, sumptuous or Spartan, have been well-voiced there; however, it is my sense that a first time live-aboard should consider a vessel slightly larger than they think they can get away with, because the first month or so will probably fill up all the available space – or at least it did for me… My thought is that a dockside live aboard should go larger than they think they’ll need, and a long-range cruiser might consider ways to stay with a more compact vessel than immediately sounds attractive…
Old 11-01-2010, 11:00   #6

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Definitely try to spend some time on a liveaboard vessel. Do all of the things that you would have to do. For example, shower and get ready for the day, prepare a meal or two. Be around when there is some maintenance to take care of. Living aboard is a little more tedious than most would imagine. I am not certain if one can be totally prepared, but these are just some thoughts to get started.
Spencer
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10   #7

Boat: 1985 Seidelmann 37 - s/v Bright Eyes
The funnest way to learn what you like is to just go look at as many for sale boats as you can. Just hop aboard, ask a ton of questions, and examine every corner. In two years you should be able to have a good idea of what you like and dont like.

Tags
liveaboard