Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 17:57   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Newbie Needs Boat Recommendations

A 38-40ft trawler should fit your needs perfectly. For around $50,000 you should be able to find a decent one.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:57   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRandy View Post
I saved the following boats that appeal to me under 125k:
2001 Carver 396
1999 Carver 406 aft cabin
2007 Carver Mariner 36
2004 Carver 360 sport sedan
2004 Carver 366
2005 Regal 3880
2005 Meridian 381
2001 Silverton 392
1998 Fairline Phantom 38
All of these are planing hulls, which means (generally) larger engines... which means more fuel at most speeds (even though they can still get more economical, the slower you go). Also, engines are meant to used within a general operating range, so there can be things to take into account if you run a big engine at slow speed much of the time. The planing hull form isn't always as comfortable at slow speeds. Not show-stoppers, could be the right boats for you, just some factoids to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRandy View Post
Looking at Yachtworld, trawlers seem pretty roomy though not very luxurious, and less sporty, though that is not a big concern, under 150k:

2002 Prima Sea Horse
1999 Mainship 430
2002 Mainship 390
2002 Heritage Trawler
I'm not familiar with all of those, but the Mainships would have a semi-displacement (sometimes aka semi-planing) hull form, and that sometimes offers some advantages for slow-speed leisurely travel. A full-displacement hull, matched with appropriate horsepower, could be the most economical... but then some also tend to be a bit rolly in beam seas (hence stabilizers being a not-uncommon addition).

"Luxury" depends on brand and build, more than on boat style. Look at newer boats from Nordhavn, Kadey-Krogen, Defever, Grand Banks, etc.... or the "down east" styles from Sabre and Hinckley... and you'll see more upscale amenities.... at a more upscale cost.

"Sporty" is usually associated with speed which is usually associated with higher fuel costs.

-Chris
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48   #18

Boat: Scout 30

It's important to be realistic about how you will really use the boat & to buy a boat for that purpose. Carvers & their like are lower cost planning hulls that typically have twin I/O gas engines. I would avoid them but for some they are perfect. They are great for cruising relatively short distances at relatively high speeds but they burn a lot of fuel doing it. They are coastal cruisers that are not appropriate for offshore work. My neighbor has a fairly large Carver & the biggest problem with it is you're either going 5 knots or 30 knots. Below about 28 it won't stay up on plane so when it get's nasty & you need to slow down you can't. Planing hulls are also weight sensitive because you've got to get the whole boat on top of the water. However, long range cruising requires a lot of provisions which adds significantly to the weight of the boat. That is why soft chined displacement hulls are the best design for long range cruising. They are not weight sensitive, take little power to propel them & are more appropriate for offshore work. However, they are slow &, as previously noted, can roll a lot. Hard chined semi-displacement hulls like the Mainships or Grand Banks are a compromise in that with their long deep keels & minimal rocker they can be run effectively at slow speeds & at slow speeds are not weight sensitive. Although both displacement & semi-displacement hulled power boats & typically called trawlers they are not the same type of boat. However, they both will be diesel powered. Another type of cruiser that bears mentioning is the Downeaster or Lobster Boat. This type of hull classically has a fine entry & full keel but with soft chines & no rocker. This is design that can be run effectively at pretty much any speed depending on the amount of power you throw at it. The great thing about this type of hull is that it can be cruised in the mid range of speed, say 15 to 20 knots, & is quite seaworthy.

If you really want to cruise both sides of the US I recommend getting something small enough to transport over land.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:10   #19

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
All of these are planing hulls, which means (generally) larger engines... which means more fuel at most speeds (even though they can still get more economical, the slower you go). Also, engines are meant to used within a general operating range, so there can be things to take into account if you run a big engine at slow speed much of the time. The planing hull form isn't always as comfortable at slow speeds.

"Sporty" is usually associated with speed which is usually associated with higher fuel costs.

-Chris
Yep, a planing hull is great on a lake or near coastal areas when it's calm. But I would think twice before considering one for a long-term cruise, although I'm sure people out there have done it. I have a Sea Ray 330, which is not too different from some of the Carvers that the original poster listed, at least in terms of hull shape. It's not a boat I would take long-term cruising on the ocean. I do cross Lake Michigan, and I do pick my weather windows carefully. There is nothing quite like being able to cross a 50 mile stretch of water in 2 hours - it is fun, but I also burn about 30 gallons per hour cruising at about 26kts.

But if anything is forecast more than 2-3 foot seas, I'm not out there in this kind of boat, at least not with any passengers I would consider friends. Those conditions are going to be pretty normal on coastal passages, so hops from port to port would have to be carefully planned, if even possible. OP mentioned cruising Mexico - I have no idea how you would even cruise the west coat of Mexico with one considering how far apart most sheltered areas are or if you'd even have enough tankage on a boat that size.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:14   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

RockinRandy, There's another option that might be worth consideration, but it has other disadvantages too,- 'everything's a compromise.

I've met a few couples that kept two mobile residences. Some keep a fairly roomy RV in one area of the country and a smaller, but livable vessel, capable of being trailered, at a coastal location.

I met a couple in the Florida Keys that had a small Ranger trawler that they could pull with their truck and also leave the boat to travel to their "fifth-wheel" RV that was in Colorado at that time.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:26   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Curious, what do you mean by luxurious? I ask as it means different things to different people, I have seen a Trawler or two that made my IP look like a work boat is why I ask.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:34   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

When I started looking for a boat, I was determined not to buy anything over 10 yrs old, as I did NOT want a fixer upper, I wanted a boat in good condition, everything in good shape, but with the price I was willing to pay, put me in the less expensive boats, and I could not find what we liked.
It wasn't until after a few months that I started allowing myself to look at older boats did I find something that I did like, and it was in much better shape than most of the much newer boats we had been looking at, and she turns 30 next year.
Especially if your looking for more "luxury" I'd say allow yourself to look at older, but well kept boats
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43   #23

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
For a mere $100k you are not going to get any luxury. Maybe an old, in need of work wooden Grand Banks. How big?
Apparently you do not know much about Grand Banks Powerboats... They are reliable, seldom in bad condition and very comfortable.

You will also find that Yacht World currently has 21 single screw Trawlers listed at under $100k between 36-42 feet. There are Monks, Grand Banks and Ocean Alexanders, which all would make good coastal cruising boats.

To the OP... I would suggest walking the Yacht Brokers Docks and climbing on as many boats as you can...

Then you will have a good idea of what YOU LIKE and dislike.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Apparently you do not know much about Grand Banks Powerboats... They are reliable, seldom in bad condition and very comfortable.

You will also find that Yacht World currently has 21 single screw Trawlers listed at under $100k between 36-42 feet. There are Monks, Grand Banks and Ocean Alexanders, which all would make good coastal cruising boats.

To the OP... I would suggest walking the Yacht Brokers Docks and climbing on as many boats as you can...

Then you will have a good idea of what YOU LIKE and dislike.
I agree, you can get into a decent trawler for under a 100. Old woody GBs can easily be found under 50 but I don't recommend one for the inexperienced. A wooden boat requires a more advanced level of knowledge & commitment. However it is true that 100k might be a little lite for a newer trawler but you never know. You might find a Mainship or Island Gypsy at a good price but to get into Grand Banks type quality you'll be in an older glass boat.
Old 02-08-2016, 13:32   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I agree, you can get into a decent trawler for under a 100. Old woody GBs can easily be found under 50 but I don't recommend one for the inexperienced. A wooden boat requires a more advanced level of knowledge & commitment. However it is true that 100k might be a little lite for a newer trawler but you never know. You might find a Mainship or Island Gypsy at a good price but to get into Grand Banks type quality you'll be in an older glass boat.
I would not recommend a wood boat to anyone other than those into preservation of wooden boats.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 15:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I would not recommend a wood boat to anyone other than those into preservation of wooden boats.
Anyone who buys a wooden boat is rapidly very into the preservation of a wooden boat. Not necessarily a bad thing & sometimes a very good thing. For me sailing in a wooden boat is the ultimate experience & if I lived in a colder climate like Maine or Washington I'd have one right now but in Florida the climate & worms are just too hard on them.
Old 04-08-2016, 16:18   #27

Great advice all. I will take some time soon to go walk some docks and marinas. I have time to learn, the hull thing is kind of complex, and most boats do not list which type they are, So let's ask this way.

What boat do you recommend under 125k as a coastal live aboard?

Keep in mind I like a modern, roomy interior, and prefer modern conveniences such as water, a crapper, a shower, kitchen, etc, including tv and laptop, and going fast is not a concern since I plan to travel slowly between areas off the coast and stay at marinas say half the time.

I am thinking I would very much like hanging in the Gulf of California aka Sea of cortez, Cabos, etc

And...is it safe to continue down the coast to the Panama Canal, popping out into the Caribbean Sea, then up the coast to the Gulf of Mexico to the US (are Pirates a concern?). If so, I could buy a boat and experience either the East or West Coast first, then sell that boat and get another a few years later for the opposite coast. Maybe do the great loop too?

I am thinking I will switch from boat to RV in 5-8 years.

Thanks!
RockinRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 17:10   #28

Get a copy of Voyaging Under Power by Robert Beebe. It's the power cruiser's Bible. Check out Yachtworld for boats for sale in your area & start looking at anything you find interesting. The more boats you look at the more you'll understand what you can get with your budget.

If I had my way I'd make every member of Congress buy a boat because nothing teaches you more about compromise than looking for a boat.

Tags
men